Thor Mjolnir Hammer Build

dontfeedmyego

Sr Member
94d0d411dfddb872d3e424165332b0e6.jpg

Thought I’d contribute with a build i did not too long ago. Maybe it’s more of a mod than a build.

I’ve owned many different Mjolnirs since the first film.
All of them had that little niggle that made me keep searching for that perfect one.

Let me say right off the bat that out of the box- the EFX is the best one I’ve owned.
It’s the correct size. It’s got a decent weight. It’s solid.
But.. it’s the first Avengers movie design.. the pommel has since changed along with a few other details.
Also it’s resin. I could also hear the sand inside it when I lifted it.
And I just really wanted a metal one.

So after going through almost every Hammer available and finding them too small, handles too thin. Handles too short. No leather. Hollow. Bad paint jobs. Etc etc
I eventually came across the King Arts Hammer.
It’s the right size.
Right design.
Metal.
Correct handle length and thickness.
It even has the updated Celtic detailing on the corners (from age of ultron onward)
04031aa49fe812e9cd9a0f3d2a9a2ffc.jpg

But... it has a poor rattle can silver paint job. Was hollow and sounded like a tin can if you tapped it or even brushed your fingers across it.
Also the handle wasn’t all leather.
I was back to square one.
Until I decided that I was going to try and fix my perceived problems with it.

So first problem was the dull paint job.
I stripped the hammer to see what the metal was like underneath to find that it was quite shiny.
I gave it a polish with 000 steel wool and it came up beautifully.
8db180d81ec850f7f869cd0173de9654.jpg

The second problem was that it was very obviously hollow. So I pulled it apart and filled it with cement.
60dc21ade765f2c53d40f10a566f4f5d.jpg

Now it sounds and feels and looks like a solid block of metal.

I also stripped the paint and polished the metal chevrons and pommel.
Then I replaced the cast rubber “leather” on the handle with actual leather.
Put it all back together and had a shiny chrome looking Mjolnir!
I gave it a Black wash and oven cleaner weathering (more like the EFX finish)
4f6f41501c5ffd24df81e0ad14982d3e.jpg

Finally, after second guessing myself, I gave it some solvent weathering to resemble the movie finish more realistically.

And that’s it. A Mjolnir that I’m ultimately very happy with.

I did a little video review of it if anyone is interested.
https://youtu.be/MPzWXjdRsw4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Damn, I feel like I'm stalking you, lol. Saw your reply to my comment on your video review so I went on to look for a King Arts hammer, couldn't find any so I came here to see if anyone was doing a run and your post was the first to pop up.

I almost bought the King Arts one back when they were released but passed on it for the reasons you stated above. Now they are too expensive, only being sold with as a hammer/gauntlet combo for around $800 bucks. Hopefully Thor will get his hammer back (somehow) for Infinity War and some company decide to make a replica.

Well congrats on the build man. I said it before and I'll say it again, best hammer out there.

Last edited:
Thanks
From memory the King Arts only cost me around the $300 mark. Maybe $350.
I've seen some about on evil bay looking at their Europe site.

Damn, I feel like I'm stalking you, lol. Saw your reply to my comment on your video review so I went on to look for a King Arts hammer, couldn't find any so I came here to see if anyone was doing a run and your post was the first to pop up.

I almost bought the King Arts one back when they were released but passed on it for the reasons you stated above. Now they are too expensive, only being sold with as a hammer/gauntlet combo for around $800 bucks. Hopefully Thor will get his hammer back (somehow) for Infinity War and some company decide to make a replica.

Well congrats on the build man. I said it before and I'll say it again, best hammer out there.

By far the best hammer I've seen! Could you please tell me how you put the leather on the handle, it looks fantastic! I've always have trouble with this part when making my own. Thanks!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back