USCSS Nostromo - High Resolution Photos

vectorzero

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks to Dan and Alex at the LA branch of the Propstore of London I was allowed to visit and take some photos of the restored Nostromo.

This was a massive rush for me, as the movie blew me away on its release and the effects and in particular the Nostromo still stand up today. I never imagined I would get to see this icon up close, and its still stunning. If I hadn't had a plane to catch I'm sure Alex would have had to eventually drag me away.

We were a little unlucky on the day, as the model has had to be moved into a corner to make room for some new items. I did my best in the time and space available.

It'll take me a while to sort and process the images but hit like if you're interested and I'll get them loaded. (Update: 11 months to post them all!)

Temporary note: All the inline images got converted to attachments during the site upgrade. I'll attempt to reload them over the next few days.

Here's the teaser.
Wide 1.JPG

Last edited:
So cool! I thought that this was the drop ship that they took down to LV426 from the Nostromo? It doesn't matter...that is just such a cool thing to get to see!

Oh man, I coulda done with these when I was painting my Halcyon a coupla months ago :eek

I knew I would have limited time, and I did not know how much space there was in which to shoot. For that reason I took a 24-70mm f2.8 Zoom Lens and a flashgun. This turned out to be a good move, as the space was extremely limited for both wide angle and close up shots. I had to lean over boxes or crawl on the floor to get the more detailed shots. Everything was shot hand held, so I apologise in advance for the poor depth of field and lack of focus.

The resolution on these jpgs is 5760 x 3840. I shot concurrent raw images and may post these to a cloud drive if anyone wants the full information.

Right - First few wide shots.

6M4A9466.JPG
6M4A9470.JPG
6M4A9469.JPG

Last edited:
I did a walk in back in 2012 with my daughter while we were checking out colleges. I didn't have an appointment, they were super cool, they gave us a tour and I got to get closeup to the Nostromo but they wouldn't let me take pictures. The size of the model is surprising , calling it a miniature seems wrong. Great pictures.

So cool! I thought that this was the drop ship that they took down to LV426 from the Nostromo? It doesn't matter...that is just such a cool thing to get to see!

That is the Nostromo. The rest was the refinery that they were towing.

Bow area - last 6 of 11. Note that the last shot is cropped to remove the tag in the background. As we move in tighter we can see some of its scars. It still amazes me that this was built around 1978, has been transported halfway across the world and then sat under a tarpaulin for years without being totally destroyed.

The bridge area looks to be a slightly different colour. I know that a back projector was inserted behind the window so that a shot of the crew moving around could be made. Not sure if the colour difference is because of that work or a function of the restoration. I'll check that at some point.

[EDIT] I just learned that there was an even bigger version of the bow section for that insert shot. You can see it after 8 seconds of this interview with Bill Pearson. And I thought the one at the Prop Store was big....

If you want to watch the restoration the short version is on YouTube here. There are four much longer parts for the enthusiast (OK - that's you or you wouldn't be reading this.)

Like me you will be shocked by the state of the ship in 2009. The restoration was an incredible effort.

6M4A9567.JPG

6M4A9590.JPG

6M4A9591.JPG

6M4A9605.JPG

6M4A9606 Crop.JPG

Last edited:
Great pictures but was it a total restoration ? It is looking rough on close ups. You can see it is starting to show signs of shrinkage.

Fun with 3D Photogrammetry - ( a quick test in Photoscan):

[video=vimeo;241269226]https://vimeo.com/241269226[/video]

nostromo.3D.jpg

Regards,

André

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back