Professor Flitwick’s Wand from PS/CoS

The14thDr

Sr Member
To me, the wands in the first two films seemed very basic compared to Azkaban-onwards, but Professor Flitwick’s wand appears to be the complete opposite. Noble Collection does a great replica of the wand used in the later films, but I’m much more interested in the earlier version.

I tried to use this promo shot to work out the length of the wand, but I ended up with something in the region of 14-15”, and looking at my Elder Wand replica (also 15”) that seems far to long.
24ddfe086c1f3321573f84b45f3a3e76.jpg

8fae6517a988edd39d21f5425880bcf7.jpg

In this photo he is holding the wand slightly lower in his hand, obscuring the dimpled “ball” at the top of the handle. This gives us a great view of both ends of the wand, with what appears to be a second “ball” and a much thinner section underneath.
3d74eef2ac743d81d57267b1a8a4cd7c.jpg

Last edited:
I found an interview with Warwick Davis online which sheds more light on this particular prop:
“In the first two films, when I played the older looking Flitwick, I had quite an intricate wand that consisted of many different materials. It was wood and it had a kind of pearlescent handle and then a kind of brass tip, and the brass tip connected with your hand.”
(Source: https://hellogiggles.com/lifestyle/flitwick-new-wand-harry-potter/)

EDIT: I found a couple more photos of the wand on Google.
db1035bccac614c9a5a9577e3c8139f6.jpg

31b86c74fe1d9b3f8cedbaf455f12e3b.jpg

Last edited:
After some more digging I found another promo shot of Professor Flitwick holding the wand. It certainly isn't the clearest image we have of this prop, but it's the only one that shows it in its entirety, which was extremely useful for extrapolating key measurements.
cfd164889cea67b79c82442ec971d4aa.jpg

And here it is again, cropped and enlarged to make the wand easier to see:
6471bc26ba081dc06bba54d865fd2bef.jpg

Assuming that Warwick Davis was 1.07m tall at this point (which according to the IMDB, he is), I was able to scale the wand against the rest of his body and get a length of 31.6cm - or 12.44" in Imperial measurements. From this I could then extrapolate the rest of the measurements and produce the following blueprints:
d25fd5596a59cd37c988033469afc571.jpg

That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing. :)

Those preview pictures on the Amazon link do show Ron’s wand from PS/CoS, so there may be some hope. Either way, I’ll definitely be buying it as it looks like a great resource.

I bought myself a copy of the Wand Collection book today, but unfortunately there aren’t any pictures of this particular prop. Nonetheless I think we have enough references here for me to make an accurate replica. [emoji4]

I began by cutting a length of ½" wooden dowel to 30cm (11.8") long. I don't have access to a lathe, so I had to carve the wand by hand. It took about an hour of carving with a craft knife, sanding, then more carving and sanding until I got a shape I was happy with.
f91168c57d0b95ad17900b299e2b0071.jpg

Before adding the two balls I drilled a hole roughly 1" into the back of the wand and inserted a length of 1/4” dowel which will make up the brass tip. I then sanded the edges of the dowel so that it has a slight dome, like on the original wand.

For the other details I used two balls of air-drying clay which I pushed onto the dowel, using the blunt end of a cocktail stick to add the "dimples".
15274a42ff13f55d579fb8a9b0c0d12e.jpg

355f3941b9d700eabef3fdd86d3ac08c.jpg

Looks great @The14thDr

The prop is very similar to Cornelius Fudge's wand from Goblet of Fire: View attachment 774312

Perhaps they reused parts? Who knows?
Wow, I never noticed that before! It’s possible they might have even reused the same moulds (although having said that, the handle on Fudge’s wand looks slightly different) Nicely spotted though! [emoji3]

——— Update ———

I wanted to preserve the wooden look of the dowel, so instead of painting it a solid colour (and ending up with something that looks like a plastic toy) I mixed some brown acrylic paint with a little water to create a makeshift stain. *
I decided to leave the balls unpainted as the raw clay already had more or less the same colour as on the original prop.

Finally, I painted the "tip" with two coats of a solid gold/copper colour.
edddb4d485449d95c604feab74c669cd.jpg

21258c6acab5e54741937aefcbb021a4.jpg

Now altogether everyone: "Wingardium Leviosa!" [emoji3]

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing my replica to the screen grabs in the first few posts of this thread, I decided to give it a second coat with some darker brown paint, to better match the original prop. I also weathered the balls to give them more of an off-white colour.
51181296429336d1b6c459197162e4b8.jpg

cdbd150fe590e332f2955c7c6ca0c846.jpg

View attachment 775257

This photo (not my own) from the WB studio tour shows some of the generic background wands, along with some character ones. The one to the mid-left looks like it could be flitwick's, though it could also be Fudge's. Thought I might be able to help, great replica!

That’s awesome, thanks Rnmld91! [emoji4] Unfortunately the photo doesn’t seem to be showing up in your post (it’s just a blank square with a broken image symbol inside it :-\ )

No problem, the image shows up fine now.

Yep, that definitely looks like Flitwick’s wand. The details on those two balls look very different to how I imagined them on my replica, and we get a great view of the handle which we didn’t before. Thanks again! [emoji4]

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back