Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Subscribe
    From
    Orange County CA
    1 Week Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 7:32 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #76

I just got a US flag patch for the costume, then noticed something I'd not noticed before: the screen flag patch is made incorrectly, with the blue field resting on a red stripe.

On the actual US flag, and every flag patch I'm seeing for sale, the blue field rests on a white stripe.

From
    Atlanta, GA
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 12:37 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #77

If you donít have correct holster and have Worbla lying around you can make holster like I did. Itís not perfect but cost me nearly nothing. I used sandwich method (craft foam) after making pattern. While the thermoplastic was still soft I formed it around gun and used another holster with basket weave to leave impression (the real holster was wrong size). Drilled holes with dremel and stitched with awl. Used part of old belt to make retention strap and adding button snap is very simple. Painted and added few layers of modpodge ( satin). Works and looks fairly good just for cosplay. Cost less than buying leather, tooling, etc if you have extra worbla laying around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 12:42 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #78

Back side

From
    Orange County CA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 5:36 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #79

DarthXeladier said: View Post
    Got my badge in the mail today. Full metal; it's a beauty.
    Attachment 770792
    Does this badge have the slightly domed/curved or 3-D look of real police badges?

I ask because I picked one up from "costumebase" on Ebay and it's nice but it looks too flat or one-dimensional. I'm thinking of returning it.

Is yours the one from commissionedcredentials.com?
    From
    Orange County CA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 5:43 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #80

What pistol are you using? EDIT: sorry I just now saw where you say it's an airsoft .357.

Though it's a moot point around here, because most or all of our Cons have adopted a zero-tolerance policy, permitting nothing that even remotely resembles a firearm, even Nerf guns and squirt guns. At Comikaze many cosplayers were sporting bananas in their holsters in a whimsical protest.

I admire your Worbla-modelling skills. I know nothing about that stuff.

BTW note the original holster has a wider and longer belt loop at a decided angle, the sort that Don Hume holsters often had. This makes the pistol ride low and tilted. I've seen such holsters being sold as "low ride" models.

Here's a vintage Don Hume holster which isn't perfect but is very close to the Hopper holster. This one is made for a 6" barrel, we need one made for a 4" barrel.

I noticed with interest how you went with a reversed flag patch.

That got me Googling 1980s photos of various police departments in the USA, to see whether a reversed patch or non-reversed patch was more common at that time, and what was interesting is that I couldn't find any showing the wearing of flag patches at all.

Then I came across AR 670-1 dated 11 February 2005 which directed military personnel to put flag patches on their right arms, and for these to be reversed. Full compliance was required by 1 October 2005. The stated reason was that US forces were serving overseas in multinational operations.

Non-military agencies and organisations such as various police, fire, paramedics, and Boy Scouts vary as to which style they wore/wear. From what I read online various rules and regulations vary as to which type is considered correct.
    Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 4 Days Ago at 6:14 AM.
    From
    Orange County CA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 8:05 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #81

I just looked through a ton of flag patches online, and I could only find one that was incorrectly made in the same way as the Hopper flag patch.

It was a vintage one on Ebay, the problem is that it has a dark border. I bought it. I'll take it to somebody I know with an industrial sewing machine and see if she can put a yellow/gold border on it.

The best thing would be for somebody to do a run of Hopper-correct flag patches and sell them on Ebay and Etsy.
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 8:46 AM - Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #82

Dr Jones - thanks !- I have only worked with the worbla a few times - I had a hard time- there is a definite learning curve. I put a link earlier in this thread to the model revolver I bought. I bought the flag through amazon and totally missed it I guess. I was going by convention- (maybe I saw a another photo with it backwards?) I can try to find the link for the badge company and post if you want? They had both directions available. Overall I was pleased with the outcome but I was trying to put it together more for fun and a Halloween party. Some of it wasnít up to the accuracy standards held on this forum. But I had fun doing it and I hoped some of the elements would be helpful. Thanks! Allen

8. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    From
    Los Angeles, California
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 10:09 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #83

Not sure if anybody has posted yet (I didn't see anything about it), but keep in mind that Hopper uses a 4 inch Colt Python in Season 2.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StrangerS2E01_03.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	777304
    From
    Orange County CA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 6:20 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #84

The details are on the Movie Firearms Data Base

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Stranger_Things

They say

Season 1: Smith & Wesson Model 66, stainless steel, .357 Magnum, 4" barrel, walnut grips (I just found this photo online, it's not the actual prop)

(The airsoft pistol Allen Hawk linked to earlier is a dead ringer for this S&W66)

Season 2: Coly Python, nickel plated, .357 Magnum, 4" barrel, checkered walnut grips with gold Colt medallions (I just found this photo online, it's not the actual prop)

I like these photos because this is the side you see when you're wearing the pistol in the holster.

I see that due to the popularity of Rick Grimes prop Colt Pythons in nickel are widely available, but they have a longer barrel.

Here's a resin one on Amazon; we would have to chop the barrel.

Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 4 Days Ago at 6:22 AM.
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 9:41 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #85

Great research Doc!

1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 10:06 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #86

Dr Jones Sr said: View Post
    Does this badge have the slightly domed/curved or 3-D look of real police badges?

I ask because I picked one up from "costumebase" on Ebay and it's nice but it looks too flat or one-dimensional. I'm thinking of returning it.

Yeah, the badge I have is from commissioned credentials. The badge is a nice solid metal and has a slight curve to it.
  12. RPF Premium Member bogeyphobia99's Avatar
    From
    Virginia Beach, VA
    6 Days Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 9:15 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #87

sctcarts said: View Post
    Alright, any thoughts on the watch Hopper is wearing?

Hey all! Been watching the thread for sometime; putting together my own Hopper costume. Anyhow, I've found what I believe to be the watch Chief Hopper wears! Looks to be a Timex Atlantis 100. It doesn't come with a compass on the band, but that can easily be purchased from Amazon or several other companies for under $10. Here's some photos I used for comparison alongside the Timex Atlantis 100:

Name:	stranger things pic2.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	730.4 KB 
ID:	777837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8e62d856c60c332885930d37baca255e.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	777835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8252ec5a37c3b9fa10f436d320027f68.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	586.3 KB 
ID:	777836
    Last edited by bogeyphobia99; 6 Days Ago at 9:33 PM.
  13. RPF Premium Member benhs1898's Avatar
    From
    Richmond, Virginia, United States
    6 Days Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 10:17 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #88

Find the correct compass you jerk. Jk, we are friends.
  14. RPF Premium Member bogeyphobia99's Avatar
    From
    Virginia Beach, VA
    6 Days Ago  Dec 3, 2017, 10:51 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #89

benhs1898 said: View Post
    Find the correct compass you jerk. Jk, we are friends.
    It's true...unfortunately we are friends... XD

Anyhoo... I'll be honest, I'm not sure if it's entirely accurate, but the watchband compass I bought was a NDUR Watchband Compass. I've seen them run from $4-$7 on average.

Name:	ndr-compasswatch.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	777869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ndr-compasswatch1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	777870
  15. RPF Premium Member benhs1898's Avatar
    From
    6 Days Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 12:20 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #90

Looks like his has more of a square case.
  16. RPF Premium Member bogeyphobia99's Avatar
    From
    Virginia Beach, VA
    6 Days Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 12:33 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #91

Looks like his has more of a square case.
    Here's a better pic of it

Name:	ColLJoOWAAAraMa.jpg 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	777892

And yeah, I think benhs1898 is correct. Here are some other options of what are available on amazon:

This one's an "XS SCUBA" watchband compass:

Name:	41-DWBv2tgL.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	777893

...and then there's the SE-CCV15 Watchband Compass:

Name:	81DY7NHRPRL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	777894

Again, can't narrow down what the actual face on his compass looks like, but these look like good options nonetheless.
    Last edited by bogeyphobia99; 6 Days Ago at 12:47 AM.
  17. RPF Premium Member benhs1898's Avatar
    From
    6 Days Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 1:07 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #92

I see green in there. I would go with the one with green. Return the other one.
  18. RPF Premium Member bogeyphobia99's Avatar
    From
    Virginia Beach, VA
    6 Days Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 10:05 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #93

I see green in there. I would go with the one with green. Return the other one.
    Haha, already did. Ordered the green one! I'll post pics once they arrive.
  19. RPF Premium Member bogeyphobia99's Avatar
    From
    Virginia Beach, VA
    6 Days Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 10:11 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #94

You may also want to check out Space Cadet Collective. Got my badge from him and couldn't be more impressed. He's got two versions, brushed gold and shiny gold.

https://spacecadetcollective.com/pin...-badge-brushed
    From
    Orange County CA
    5 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 9:14 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #95

bogeyphobia99 said: View Post
    Hey all! Been watching the thread for sometime; putting together my own Hopper costume. Anyhow, I've found what I believe to be the watch Chief Hopper wears! Looks to be a Timex Atlantis 100. It doesn't come with a compass on the band, but that can easily be purchased from Amazon or several other companies for under $10. Here's some photos I used for comparison alongside the Timex Atlantis 100:

Name:	stranger things pic2.png 
Size:	730.4 KB 
ID:	777837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8e62d856c60c332885930d37baca255e.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	777835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8252ec5a37c3b9fa10f436d320027f68.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	586.3 KB 
ID:	777836
    Wow thanks so much for hunting that down! Awesome. (And I saw what you did there... 'watching' this thread indeed!)

I've been looking at zillions of hats trying to find exactly the right colour... the first step of course is trying to pin down the original colour.

This is about as close as I've been able to come, three nice photos taken in outdoor light showing (for once!) pretty much the same colour.

Note also that in these pics the pen is more yellow, as you guys have been saying.

and here back to the cream-coloured pen, maybe

I got a vintage hat on Ebay nearly exactly that colour, it just needs a bit of "bashing" to bring it screen-accurate.

Always hard to tell from online pics, but I found this "Dylan" fedora online in "olive" which from this photo looks to be a very close colour.

The rim isn't bound as it should be.

Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 4 Days Ago at 6:10 AM.
    From
    Orange County CA
    5 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 9:25 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #96

DarthXeladier said: View Post
    Yeah, the badge I have is from commissioned credentials. The badge is a nice solid metal and has a slight curve to it.
    I'm returning the other one, it's too flat and funky.

Suddenly a load of these "Bam Box" badges have shown up on Ebay, they weren't there a couple days ago. They look pretty legit. I ordered one today.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...hings&_sacat=0

Update: Got the Bam Box badge. It's very different from the first one I got. I tried to photograph the two of them as best I could to show the flatness of the first one. In some lighting they don't look as different- I purposely photographed them to show them looking as different as possible.

The level of detail as you can see is better on the flat badge, but the 3-D badge looks more "real" to me.

Here's what I have so far...

This vintage Akubra hat has je ne sais quoi that none of the new hats I've looked at quite had; it's been places. I need to paint in the dark band around the base of the crown.

I removed the buttons and opened up the false buttonholes on the pocket-flaps of the Flying Cross shirt; Hopper rarely buttons the pockets. The pen is cream but looks white here.

Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 21 Hours Ago at 11:24 PM.
    From
    Orange County CA
    2 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 7:07 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #97

Maybe I missed it, but has his undershirt been identified?

Looks like the Hanes Henley in "natural"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Hanes-...wAAOSw3WBZ0pki
    Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 21 Hours Ago at 11:22 PM.
    From
    MI
    2 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 9:02 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #98

Maybe I missed it, but has his undershirt been identified?

Looks like the Hanes Henley in "natural"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Hanes-...wAAOSw3WBZ0pki
    Hopper wears long sleeve.
    From
    Orange County CA
    22 Hours Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 10:53 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #99

Yes indeed! He wears the undershirt by itself in some scenes.

(BTW you can see other officers wearing the non-regulation flag patches.)

I'm going with the (non-authentic) short sleeve undershirt due to the high temperatures at our local Cons. Won't matter as I'm wearing the police shirt over it.

In fact I was thinking of cutting down the undershirt into sort of a Dickie, sewing it into the police shirt perhaps. It can be very hot here, 116 degrees at one Con I attended.
    Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 21 Hours Ago at 11:22 PM.