Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Nov 5, 2017, 11:23 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #51

I will as soon as I get the coat back. I'm having the local alterations shop sewing on the patches and making a couple minor repair to it. Still waiting on the Hawkins patch to ship and then I'm having them put it on, but I'll post it here as soon as I get it completed.
  2. RPF Premium Member benhs1898's Avatar
    From
    Richmond, Virginia, United States
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 9, 2017, 3:19 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #52

Boots are actually an 8" Red Wing. In the darker color.

http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/US...rown-877-00877

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 3.22.41 AM.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	772103
    From
    MI
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 9, 2017, 9:08 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #53

I'm glad someone else noticed the boots. However, they don't have the standard Red Wing sole on them. They have the Vibram Christy sole, which can be seen in episode 201 when Hopper puts his feet on his desk while talking to Murray.

Name:	Sole.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	772124

Name:	Screenshot (16).png 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	772405
    Last edited by pinder91; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:33 PM.
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 9, 2017, 10:10 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #54

pinder91 said: View Post
    I'm glad someone else noticed the boots. However, they don't have the standard Red Wing sole on them. They have the Vibram Christy sole, which can be seen in episode 201 when Hopper puts his feet on his desk while talking to Murray. (Sorry, no screencap at the moment.)

Name:	Sole.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	772124
    Thanks for finding the accurate boot! I think I'll stick with the Crevo boots for now though because I don't have nearly $300 dollars to spend on boots lol.
  5. Freelance Prop Guy RPF Premium Member sctcarts's Avatar
    From
    Pueblo, CO
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 9, 2017, 6:41 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #55

Excellent find on the boots, and the sole info. I, too, will be sticking with my Crevos for the time being, but it's good to know for future purchase.
  6. Freelance Prop Guy RPF Premium Member sctcarts's Avatar
    From
    Pueblo, CO
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 10, 2017, 5:07 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #56

Alright, any thoughts on the watch Hopper is wearing?
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 10, 2017, 9:17 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #57

Hard to say without close ups or screen grabs.
    From
    MI
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 10, 2017, 10:34 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #58

Screencap of the boot sole added (https://www.therpf.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4348931).
    From
    Orange County CA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 9:33 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #59

Thanks so much for all the information!

I'm a new member and fairly new to Cosplay in general.

I've been doing my own research (such as it is) on the Hopper costume and I'm pretty sure the shirt is the Flying Cross 19w6604.

As pointed out this style has the non-pleated pockets.

Comes in "tan" and "silver tan" and as is common with screen shots the exact colour of the original shirt is difficult to determine. (EDIT: silver tan is correct.)

Not sure, but the 19w6604 may no longer be in production. (EDIT: it's in production but also numbered 40w6504.)

His flag patch isn't reversed, which I think is probably correct to period. Wearing a reversed flag on the right arm is a fairly modern custom. (Yes it's the law but the law wasn't widely followed until fairly recently.) Actually I looked at a large number of photos of policemen in the 1980s and I couldn't find any showing flags being worn on either sleeve. I think that custom really took off after 9-11 and is simply one of many anachronisms in the show. (EDIT: I just talked to a police lieutenant with long service going back into the 1980s and he told me that wearing flag patches was, as far as he knew, a post-911 thing.) But if there was a flag back then it probably wouldn't be reversed. (EDIT: The wearing of reversed flags on the right arm dates to a US Army regulation from 2003.)

About the pants, I've not been able to find any with those super-wide (long) belt loops. BTW in some screen-shots the pants match the shirt-colour exactly, while in other screen-shots the pants are darker than the shirt.

About the pen, closeups I've seen appear to show a plastic pen in ivory or cream colour, rather than a strong yellow.

About the holster, the one linked to is quite different from the screen holster. Note that the basketweave on the screen holster wraps around the leading edge, for one thing.

I've had a devil of a time trying to pin down the exact colour of the hat. In some shots it looks only slightly darker than the shirt, while in other shots it looks much darker. Some shots show taupe, some chocolate, some olive drab, some walnut.

It's basically a C-Crown or Teardrop Crown fedora, seems to me. Similar (though not exact) hats I've come across have been:

-Stetson Stratoliner (Stetson Sturgis has brim too wide.)
    -Scala Classico crushable outback hat
    -Akubra Stylemaster (EDIT: brim too narrow; Akubra Leisure Time has correct 2 3/4" brim; Akubra Lawson has a brim just a tad too wide 3")
    -Jaxon C-Crown

Any hat, probably, would have to be shaped to match the screen hat.

And note the screen hat has no band, just a narrow band of a darker colour than the base hat-colour.

About the watch, the band appears to be a black rubber/plastic band with a built-in compass.

Thanks again! Richard
    Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 4 Days Ago at 11:39 PM.
    From
    Orange County CA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 9:58 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #60

This shows the hat "band" and the compass on the watch band
  11. Freelance Prop Guy RPF Premium Member sctcarts's Avatar
    From
    Pueblo, CO
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 1:18 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #61

Good resource tracking on the shirt. I think it's still available, and the description says plain pockets, so this may be the best option to go with. I have a tropical with the pleated pockets, and they sure are nice shirts, so I'll be grabbing one of these in plain pocket. Silver Tan is the color to go with.

In an interview with actor David Harbour, he said they based the hat on the idea that he wears his fathers old Stetson Open Road. In modern context, the Open Road has changed slightly in design over the yeas - they've made the hat much stiffer, but the Stetson Stratoliner was created to deliver that softer classic open road look. The hat is aged and weather beaten so the brown color has mottled a bit, and the darker line is where the hat band would have been earlier in the life of it before it came off, creating a darker band where the fur felt didn't lighten with age. The actual hat for production is made by a specific guy linked earlier in this thread, and they've done the age work and weathering - it's just a steep price, over $600. An actual Stetson Stratoliner is less, though still a purchase, around $200. It can be aged and weathered, I've just done that with my own Stratoliner.

The holster is actually made for production by Tex Shoemaker, so the one we've linked is correct. The show holster is darker, and does have the basket weave going further around it further it seems, but those things are typical of one-off custom work done for production, as all the work is handmade. On a side note, Tex Shoemaker has done work for numerous productions over the years, including X-Files, Walking Dead, etc. They're one of the go-to places for holster and credential work.

It could be that the pen is more of a cream, though in all my reference shots it looks like a yellow - but this can be hard to pin down as lighting and post processing shift the colors from how they really appear. It's like the color of the hat - sometimes it comes off as almost charcoal, other times it's a light warm brown. And that's all down to lighting in the shot and processing. I do lean towards the yellow though as the Bic Cliq isn't available in a tan or straight cream color - the only colors close to what we see that you can batch order them in is yellow or white.

Nice catch on the compass on the watch!

And welcome to the rabbit hole of Chief Hopper's costume!
  12. Freelance Prop Guy RPF Premium Member sctcarts's Avatar
    From
    Pueblo, CO
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 1:59 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #62

Here's the link to the plain pocket shirt:

http://caluniforms.com/all-products/...eve-polyrayon/
    From
    Orange County CA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 10:03 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #63

sctcarts said: View Post
    I decided to further my leather working skill set and replicate the holster using the reference pics on the Tex Shoemaker website. That and it was a bit cheaper than buying one for $126.00. Also tried replicating the oil tan color seen in screen grabs. And now I have the pattern and can make more!

Just to be clear, is the holster you made on the left, and the one offered by Tex on the right? The one on the left looks fantastic. It's the one on the right I was referencing when I talked about the basketweave pattern not going all the way around the front.

You said you could make more... I'm interested in finding out more about that, please!

Don Hume offered a style very similar, here's one in black. You see vintage black ones for sale all the time, seems that they rarely did them in brown.

EDIT: Here's a Don Hume in brown, very close to the Hopper holster, except for the strap. This overall design is, evidently, a Don Hume thing, and I'm guessing that a Don Hume holster is what the show people had in mind when they commissioned the show holster. (This one is for a 6" barrel, we would need one for a 4" barrel.)

About the pen, I was able to find an exact pen on Ebay, under the search category "vintage advertising pen". Firms gave away these cheap pens, and they're very inexpensive on Ebay.

I was looking for that cream or ivory colour that the pen appears to be on closeups (note the difference between the pen-colour and the yellow in the Hawkins Police patch)

Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 4 Days Ago at 11:48 PM.
  14. Freelance Prop Guy RPF Premium Member sctcarts's Avatar
    From
    Pueblo, CO
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 10:35 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #64

Yes, the one on the left was my first attempt at it. I've since made a second, better built version 2 based off of what I learned from the first one:

Name:	20171115_082635.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	773577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171115_082639.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	4.65 MB 
ID:	773578

Tried to even out the color a bit more, enlarged the front a bit. All in all I'm happier with it.
    Last edited by sctcarts; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:07 AM.
  15. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 10:43 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #65

Have to say that Texshoemaker closed recently so cant get it from anymore.
  16. Freelance Prop Guy RPF Premium Member sctcarts's Avatar
    From
    Pueblo, CO
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 11:09 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #66

That's a bummer that Shoemaker's closed, they were around for such a long time and did great work.

- - - Updated - - -

Dr Jones Sr said: View Post

You said you could make more... I'm interested in finding out more about that, please!
    Sure, shoot me a PM and we can talk details. And once you get your pen in post a photo, I'd like to see what you found - the pen ended up being one of the harder things to track down for me - with the exception of the B9 coat - which has proven to be the unicorn in this whole costume.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 2:00 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #67

The pen looks yellow to me, a pale yellow but yellow. You really can't compare it to the Hawkins PD patch because, for one, it's in more light than the pen is. The material is different so it's going to reflect colors differently and it's clearly a different color altogether, much more orange.
    From
    Orange County CA
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 15, 2017, 9:14 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #68

Once again thanks all for your help. This thread is why I joined RPF!

Just picked up a used Flying Cross 19w6604 on Ebay for $25.

EDIT: It came and has a problem!

The buttons on the pocket flaps don't button, the buttons are sewn onto the flaps over false button-holes.

As you can see in the photos I posted above, Hopper doesn't button his pockets.

If I use this shirt I'll have to remove the buttons from the flaps and perhaps open up the button holes.

But otherwise the shirt is great. It's been washed many times and has a nice soft feel, not the super stiff starchy feel they have when new.
    Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 3 Weeks Ago at 7:40 AM.
  19. Freelance Prop Guy RPF Premium Member sctcarts's Avatar
    From
    Pueblo, CO
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 3:13 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #69

Here's a shot of my recently purchased Stetson Stratoliner. I haven't done the age/distress work to it yet, including darkening it a bit, this is just out of the box.

Name:	20171116_010052.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	773705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171116_010046.jpg 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	773704
    From
    Orange County CA
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 6:44 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #70

sctcarts said: View Post
    Here's a shot of my recently purchased Stetson Stratoliner. I haven't done the age/distress work to it yet, including darkening it a bit, this is just out of the box.

Name:	20171116_010052.jpg 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	773705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171116_010046.jpg 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	773704
    That's really nice. I might go that way for sure.

Here's the screen shot from above which shows the hat only slightly darker than the pants and shirt:

The Stetson Stratoliner in "Caribou" which looks very close to the screen hat. The brim is a bit narrower than the screen hat brim is said to be (2 1/2" as opposed to 2 3/4")

The Biltmore Wilderness in the colour they call "Caribou". As you can see the brim is great but the top would have to be reshaped. It's actually the crown one would expect on a US law enforcement hat.

On the other hand, here's the screen hat looking somewhat darker than the shirt, more brownish, and in some pics with a slight olive tinge

The Stetson Stratoliner in "Cordova". I've seen tons of photos of Stetsons in "Cordova" and each photo looks different. Here's one, where it looks quite brown.

The Akubra Stylemaster, basically a Stetson Open Road copy, but with a brim a bit too narrow (2 1/2").

This is the colour they call "Loden".

Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 3 Weeks Ago at 7:17 AM.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 4:50 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #71

I'd say the shot of him outdoors shows the color of the hat more accurately. The other shot of him sitting in the chair is indoors so you have artificial lighting affecting the color of his hat as well as whatever color correcting was used in post.
  22. Member Since
    Nov 2017
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 10:25 PM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #72

Name:	Resized_20171116_222151.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	773906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20171116_222209.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	773907
    Finally got my coat back from the alterations shop. The coat appears pretty dark in these pics, but it is definitely a navy.
    From
    Orange County CA
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 6:11 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #73

I've been searching the shirts.

Lucky for me a local agency, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept, wears the exact Hopper shirt, so it's widely available here. (EDIT: the California Highway Patrol also wear it.)

I'm sure some of you have done the same, but in case not, yesterday I visited a police uniform shop.

They had three long racks with nothing but these shirts, plain pockets, longsleeved, in Silver Tan (or Silvertan, in one word, as they sometimes have it).

I saw some shirts (for a different agency) in the "tan" and yes it's much more yellow/brown and not suitable.

Anyhow as you probably know shirts that look exactly like the Hopper shirt come in three different fabrics (at least)

1) polyester/wool blend. These are the standard Class A shirt for the LASD. I see some of these on Ebay numbered Flying Cross 440w9404, but shirts which evidently are the same I've seen numbered Flying Cross 40w9133. These are available fairly cheaply on Amazon. What's strange is that generally, it seems, Flying Cross shirts with numbers ending in 04 are Silvertan, yet in the latter case shirts which appear to be Silvertan end in 33.

Other companies make these exact poly/wool LASD Class A shirts: Elbeco model 7064N, and United Uniform "LASD Long Sleeve Class A".

These poly/wool shirts look fantastic and have a high-quality feel to them. I'm pretty sure the Hopper shirt would be this wool blend.

BTW Flying Cross also makes these with a zipper front, usually these have a "Z" at the end of the product number. The zipper is concealed, and when worn the shirt looks normal, having nonfunctional buttons down the front placket.

2) Polyester/Rayon blend.
    I have seen these sold with two different Flying Cross numbers, 40w6504 and 19w6604. These feel strangely thick and stiff; perhaps multiple washings will soften them.

3) 100% Polyester. The police uniform shop had a whole rack of these. They're much thinner and would be great for a hot Comic Con. Trouble is, they apparently are only available with a zipper front, and they have sewn-in welts (press-pleats or press-lines) which of course the Hopper shirt lacks. Flying Cross calls their 100% Polyester shirts their "Command" shirts. Strange that I searched online and could only find pleated-pocket Command shirts, yet at the police shop they had a whole rack of plain-pocket Silvertan ones.

BTW I admire you guys going for the jacket, but here in the US southwest our Cons can be very hot (116 at the Phoenix Comic Con when I attended in 2016) and there is no way I would wear the jacket. Here coolness is a big consideration of any costume.

Another aside, I see that David Harbour is 6'3". I'm 6'4" and around 240 pounds which makes acquiring costume items challenging oftentimes- I need size 14 shoes for example, and a 7 5/8 (UK 61) hat size. It's tough finding things that fit.
    Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 3 Weeks Ago at 9:41 PM.
    From
    Orange County CA
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 7:08 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #74

Allen Hawk said: View Post
    The fit and feel of these pants seems correct. The belt loops are fairly wide . It would be easy to add flaps but getting matching fabric would be tough.
    With Dickies you can order them unhemmed and when you cut off the bottoms to length and hem them you'll probably have plenty of fabric for the pocket flaps.

About the pen, I just re-watched S1E1 and it appears to be a rather strange colour, sort of a Peach. It's pale, but not yellow, and not quite cream or ivory as I had thought.
    Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 2 Weeks Ago at 6:29 AM.
    From
    Orange County CA
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 24, 2017, 6:13 AM - Re: Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread #75

Hopper hat update:

I've been looking at a large number of hats and I've come to the conclusion that at least for someone with a head as large as mine (60 or 61) the 2 1/2" brim of the Stetson Stratoliner and Akubra Stylemaster is too narrow.

The original is said to be 2 3/4".

And the larger the hat size, the smaller a given brim looks on you, unless the stated brim width is for a medium hat, and they scale the brim wider and narrower for larger and smaller sizes.

This has brought me to the realization that I'm only going to get the correct-looking hat by going with something other than the Stratoliner or Stylemaster.

Which has brought me to the Akubra Campdraft. It comes Open Crown, to be styled by the user. The brim comes up all around, and bound, just like the Hopper hat. The brim is 2 7/8", a bit too wide, but my feeling is that it would probably have the right proportion with a large head like mine.

To reset our eye, here's a great photo of the Hopper hat

Here's the Akubra Campdraft, lower photo how it comes, upper photo bashed.

Leave the brim how it comes (lower photo) and bash the top to a c-crown (above) and Bob's your Uncle.

Here's a person who has bashed his Campdraft in a very similar way to the Hopper hat

The problem would be the colour. I contacted Everything Australian and they informed me that the Campdraft was only available in Fawn, Silver Belly, and Bluegrass Green.

What is offered in a colour which, as far as I can tell, is the closest to the Hopper screen hat, is the Akubra Bushman in a wonderful colour they call Nullarbor Tan.

It comes Open Crown. Here it is as it comes, and with a crown bash. Once again leave the brim up, but do the crown bash, and it will be extremely close to the Hopper screen hat. The brim is 3 1/4", a bit wide, but it might be a better proportion on my large head than the Stylemaster or Stratoliner.

These photos are useful for comparing various Akubra colours. On the right is Bluegrass Green, which is very close to how the screen hat looks in some scenes. Taupe Fawn (upper centre) looks too tan, and Heritage Fawn (lower centre) look too light, to me.

In this photo, lower row, second from left, is the colour stated to be Akubra's "Mid Brown". It is stated to have, in person, the green tinge you can see here. This is the closest I've seen to the colour of the Hopper hat in some photos.

The colour in the photo below appears halfway between Mid Brown and Bluegrass Green in the two photos above.

Last edited by Dr Jones Sr; 2 Weeks Ago at 7:44 AM.