Suggestions for ood tendrils?

GoodToBeDad

I've just completed my first attempt at making a latex mask. It's an ood from Doctor Who. I'm reasonably happy with the head and the paint job, but I don't like the tendrils at all. They look homemade. Does anyone know how they were made for the TV show? I assume they used silicone or foam latex, but were they sculpted and then molded? How would that mold have been made? I learned a lot from this first mask and I'm anxious to learn more. Any ideas will be welcomed. Thanks!

IMG_4634.jpgIMG_4635.jpgIMG_4636.jpg

I think they just need a little more variation in the paint. It look like the ones in the show have layers of splatter paint.

About the tendrils i haven't got a clue,..what i can say is that this is a wonderfull looking mask,..great job!!

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I think they just need a little more variation in the paint. It look like the ones in the show have layers of splatter paint.

I thought that too. But I think the ones in the show are made with a more spongy material. I'll play with both options. Thanks for your input.

The mask looks GREAT! Sometimes, it helps to step away for a bit and re-evaluate. But I'd be patting myself on the back if I cranked out that mask.

GoodToBeDad;4340918. Does anyone know how they were made for the TV show? I assume they used silicone or foam latex said:
I was lucky enough to make my first of many visits to Millennium FX in 2006 and got to handle the screen used hero ood and talk to Neill (Gorton) at length about materials and techniques used for the Ood.
The tendrils are made from deadened Tinsil Gel 10 cast in latex moulds.Neill showed me the moulds and I used the same type of mould set up and same ratio of deadener to silicone when I made my ood masks a while ago.
There's a photo of my moulds on the Works in progress page of my website in the 'Masks and make Up' section.

http://www.rayphillips.co.uk/work-in-progress.html

I'm actually in the process of making some more 'Ood' as I'm doing a mask painting / finishing demonstration at the 'Science of the Timelords' event at the National Space Centre, Leicester (UK) and will be completing a finished mask over the weekend of the event which they will be raffling off for charity.
These pics show the pre-prepared bits and pieces I'll be using to show the processes used.
IMG_0499.JPGIMG_0484.JPGoods in progress 2.jpg

These pics show the pre-prepared bits and pieces I'll be using to show the processes used.

Those look great! Please correct me if I'm wrong. To make the molds, did you sculpt the tendrils in clay and then brush latex on to them? Did you then have to spray a release in to the mold before pouring your silicone in? Thanks for any more advice you can give me.

Thanks.
Yes, they were sculpted in clay and then coated with latex.
You don't need a release agent in the latex mold as the silcone doesn't stick to the latex.( you could use an epoxy par film which should prolong the life of the molds though)
Remember also to use a tin silicone for the tendrils and not a platinum silicone as the latex will prevent a platinum silicone from curing.
I use Tinsil Gel 10, don't know if you can get that in the States but there's bound to be a comparable product.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back