Luke's ROTJ saber shot out of R2-D2 is up for auction

newmagrathea

Sr Member
Ouch, and it's estimated to go for a lot.

Here is the link: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24465/lot/1074/?category=list&length=100&page=1

I will take first crack at this. If I miss something please correct me.

Assembled and machined cast metal, brass, and rubber Lightsaber prop.

None of the known various stunt or close-up hero lightsabers had machined brass necks.

Several Lightsabers were used in the scene and this particular one is shown in closeup insert shots of R2D2. A more aerodynamic and safer plastic one was fired during the next long shot, and Mark Hamill catches a third "Hero" Lightsaber. Note that the chipped edge along the top rim of the Lightsaber used in closeups matches up with this one.

Here's the scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNWT4Lc6QpI

Here is a screencap of what the listing claims is the lightsaber up for auction:

1..png

This looks like a resin lightsaber. In addition, there is no additional thin step below the chipped emitter piece as in the auction photo.

The lightsaber in the movie seems to have a notch in the "brass" neck as on the V2, Shared Stunt, and Wired resin lightsaber, which is lacking in the brass section of the auction saber. Here is the Wired resin saber which is cast from the Shared Stunt.

View attachment props6.jpg

Why would the props department machine a complex brass and aluminum lightsaber for a shot where it is mostly obscured, not to mention glue a chipped plastic (rubber?) disc to the end?

Anything I've missed?

Last edited:
Huh, interesting...

"Several Lightsabers were used in the scene and this particular one is shown in closeup insert shots of R2D2. A more aerodynamic and safer plastic one was fired during the next long shot, and Mark Hamill catches a third "Hero" Lightsaber. Note that the chipped edge along the top rim of the Lightsaber used in closeups matches up with this one. This Lightsaber also has fewer parts than the "hero" version to make it more streamlined for ejection."

So even though it was made "more streamlined for ejection," they never actually launched this one then.

In the movie, the close-up shows the ejection. So if the description is accurate this would have done a short launch, followed by another for the long shot of it arcing through the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this looks to be a reproduction of some kind considering what we know of the Shared Stunt(s) and its subsequent role in the making of casts in RotJ. This looks to be based on the Hero/Yuma, which, in the timeline I have in mind, was based off of the Wired stunt cast (or something similar thereof). If this thing were genuine, it'd at least have the uneven rings of the Hero/Yuma.

I noticed that the rings were even, I can't recall a single saber that has even ones.

Yeah, this looks to be a reproduction of some kind considering what we know of the Shared Stunt(s) and its subsequent role in the making of casts in RotJ. This looks to be based on the Hero/Yuma, which, in the timeline I have in mind, was based off of the Wired stunt cast (or something similar thereof). If this thing were genuine, it'd at least have the uneven rings of the Hero/Yuma.

I noticed that the rings were even, I can't recall a single saber that has even ones.

Ding ding ding we have a winner!! That’s the first thing that jumped out at me

Along with the cubes on the pommel, idk something doesn’t look right

The only thing in common this saber has with RoTJ is the smell of Janna’s rancor pit!

I would hope that the original prop crew personnel could step in and put a stop to listings claiming something to be screen used. I'm sure there are some that lurk here. I'm not saying they should reveal the secrets of the originals when we are going back and forth trying to figure these out and what parts were actually used, but when it comes to fraud, they should be able to step in and say something

I’m still learning all the intricate details but something about the pommel looks off, no? Either longer overall, or the cubes on the pommel too big? Not sure, but something looks odd to my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well.....the description dosnt match the screen grab. Not by a mile. But it comes with a letter from his brother, so all is good folks!

I would like to give the benefit of the doubt that someone was just confused when it comes to these false "screen used" props, but seems like someone was intentionally trying to pass this off as a screen used R2 saber after cutting off the nipple on a Hero replica and putting that weird plate over it while overlooking the other detail of the notch in the neck.

the symmetrical rings and lack of the proper brass neck, clearly shown in the photo of the prop in the scene that they're claiming its from... big red flag. The sad part is is that there are a lot of people who won't do the research into in and pay a lot of money for a reproduction.

It's been said - none of the details match the ANH Stunts, casts of ANH Stunts, Yuma fencing sabers or the hero, or casts of the hero post prod.

Looking at the pommel cubes this isn't even a MR or EFX..

Emitter plate has something weird going on with it, never even seen that on a high end custom.

Looks like theres a rubber bumper on the bottom. Who the devil made this?!

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen Elstree make a machined stunt with one less grip ring that looked more accurate than this thing, and they sold it to a visitor with an aluminum blade as a real stunt prop.

Also, watching that scene again, it's my belief the initial reveal is the Wired cast and the firing is a softer, rounder emitter, so a different casting.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back