Scenes that STILL give you goosebumps

The Seven Samurai has more of these moments than any other movie that come to mind.
Many of these scenes have power only after you've seen the film before. Here are just a few of my favorite but there are more.

1. When Kambei shaves his head to rescue a child. How the symbolism foreshadows future events gets me as well as that instant he first makes eye contact with Kikuchiyo.

sevensamurai_imjustamonk_FC_470x264_032220160516.jpg

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/203405/Seven-Samurai-The-Movie-Clip-I-m-Just-A-Monk.html

2. When Kambei bumps into his old comrade in arms, Shichiroji. They both reminisce about how they escaped their last battle and were relieved to be alive.
Kambei suddenly asks Shichiroji if he wants to go to war again but this time just for meals and the fun of it. He barely finishes speaking when Shichiroji agrees with instant conviction and loyalty. When Kambei says they might die this time Shichiroji only smiles.

daisukekato1.jpg

3. The Duel scene.

Seven_Samurai_Kyuzo_duel.jpg

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/203402/Seven-Samurai-The-Movie-Clip-Don-t-Waste-Your-Life.html

4. This heartbreaking moment which frames the tortured historical relationship between the Samurai and the Farmers. Kikuchiyo, we discover, is the son of farmers and unknowingly becomes the spiritual bond between the two classes.

Seven_Samurai_12.png

5. When a fleeing peasant mother hands off her child to Kikuchiyo before she dies. Kikuchiyo is stunned - he, too, was orphaned this way and is seeing his past play out in front of him. He sees the baby’s future as his own life and collapses embracing the child in pain for both himself and the crying motherless baby.

seven_kikubaby.jpg

6. At Heihachi's funeral morale is collapsing. The thrill of conflict gives rise to their inevitable confrontation of death. Suddenly Kikuchiyo gets up and grabs their improvised banner and, in defiance, climbs a rooftop and posts it. Everyone in mourning sees the flag just as the bandits on horseback come riding in the distance to attack.

seven-samurai-shot-17.jpg

7. When the war is over. Kambei and Shichiroji realize the tragic irony that, as in the past, they are the survivors.

sevensamurai11.jpg

8. The final shot of the film.

Seven+Samurai+25.jpg

Last edited:
From Constantine. A doctor got hit with shrapnel from a "black diamond" in Iraq or Afghanistan and now he has an alter ego that kills people who get a second chance and then waste it. Meanwhile, to teach him a lesson Constantine has trapped Manny in another doctor's body. Before this scene Manny gives him a lecture about believing and asking for help.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The first appearance of the Colonial Movers in TOS BSG (the shot in combination with the epic music is awesome)
2. The ending of "Star Trek: TNG - The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1" (Riker's: "FIRE!" never fails)
3. Luke taking down the AT-AT in TESB with his grenade
4. Heli crash sequence in "Matrix"
5. Indy's fight on the tank in "Last Crusade"
6. E.T. & Elliott flying the bike for the first time
7. SW theme and Luke looking up to the two suns in ANH
8. T2: The chase from Cyberdyne to the mill with the "Hasta la vista" moment
9. Aliens: Ripley coming to the rescue to save the Marines in the APC

the last time i had "goosepimples"(and i say goosepimples as a nervous, excited feeling in my stomach like going over a peak riding a rollercoaster) was at my first screening of Pink Floyd The Wall as it was a favorite album of mine at the time and it was so loud you could feel it. sadly, i've not had that cinema feeling since....

i used to get it at the first orchestra blast of Star Wars a few years previously.

...and at the beginning credits of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Last edited:
The montage of James Bond falling in love with Tracy in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service. John Berry's instrumental version of Louis Armstrong's "We Have All the Time in The World" playing in the background get's me every time.

-Ash

Yep, beat me to it.
Many moments in Field Of Dreams...

+

the final sequences in:

Dances With Wolves
Lost In Translation
Saving Private Ryan
Blade Runner 1 & 2

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back