The 1:1 replica of the Grail Diary Hero prop

Indiana Holt

Hello guys.

Been alittle while since I have been on again. However, my MIA has produced something you might want to take a look at.

I introduce the 1:1 replica of the hero Grail Diary.

Little info about me, Im a guy who has studied this Grail diary prop for two decades. and lets just leave it there. ;)

What I am about to show you is pretty much the real prop that resides in the archives at Lucasfilm. It turned out so insanely close to the original prop in terms of illustrations, weathering, inserts and the book itself. Its almost scary.

As mentioned, I have been in the diary hobby for long long time. And for the first time I have made a diary that makes me forget I made it. I probably have made about alittle number like 60-70 diaries. Allways searching and searching and searching. Like the rest of us, I have allways wanted the real hero prop. That is probably never going to happen so my second best option was to have the closest replica in the world. I set my goals pretty low as you might have guessed by now. :lol:

However, there will be tiny small differences and this was done with intention. As there are no exact 2 Picassos alike right. The tiny differences are found in the Map of no names. As they are handmade, they came out with a slight different detail. You won't notice this. The other tweak I did, or left untouched, was the broken and shattered tape the hero prop has. I did this create the effect of it being an unused hero.

The stitching is done with 4 holes like the hero. Then given a marbling effect on edges and then super worn off. Highly accurate marble flysheets at the front and end. These were given a slight sheen to get the marbling effect in them. The front Marble sheet is very cracked and aged.

The aging was made to be as accurate to the real hero prop as possible. As this diary should look like it came from the hero prop production line.

The illustrations itself are not remakes done by me. They are the exact scans taken from a prop that I was so lucky to recieve a few years back.

All inserts are as accurate as possible. I also decided not to paste in the cue cards, as this diary should represent an unused second hero. And 2, the cards were placed in later for that particular scene. The Grail diary was not made with these cards in them. So mine is without. They are darn ugly anyway. Think someone behind the camera holding up a big board with lines for actors. Pretty accurate description.

This diary has 4 maps with no names. Each unique. One folded we see in the quest spread, one loose torn up placed over the Mandela, one pasted in, and one loose inserted.

The thing that was the most fun to create when picture taking was the flipping photo. I have allways wanted to do this like Indy did in the Venice library scene. That flippidy floppidy diary that allways looked like it came back home from war or something.

I hope you enjoy the show. I will take picutres and update this thread on and off. Depends on how much people want to see.

X60v4IF.jpg

dYmfgDO.jpg

2IDatYB.jpg

uXf87qY.jpg

ouJnpBF.jpg

oFO2RCg.jpg

oq95lhP.jpg

ceLTn6P.jpg

WcWEAAm.jpg

rVwkCa0.jpg

KqiWPZu.jpg

hn6vBxF.jpg

w9ssKTR.jpg

RbQ0g7W.jpg

xMhuv4q.jpg

EPhHymz.jpg

PlG4WZH.jpg

TS4Cp4a.jpg

i1brXyo.jpg

1DXZJzU.jpg

SY0LH8Z.jpg

z8Ww1eg.jpg

DAurP8X.jpg

5l0bZsP.jpg

UWhBII6.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed this thread.

Cheers
Holt

Last edited:
That is awesome. Truly awesome. I love that you did this yourself. Great job.. I would love to see more pictures.

Holt,
I've admired your work over on COW for years. Your work was the original inspiration for me to make my own diaries. It really looks like you have reached the top of the mountain with this one. Admire the view, I'm not sure there are any higher peaks for you to climb. Great job, man.
David
"airhead"

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is the best Grail Diary replica ever. Practically every aging spot has been replicated. If I could own only one diary... it'd be this one.

All the best,
Magnoli

That is HUGE praise coming from Magnoli as I've always admired his work. Your work is truly inspiring Holt. Bravo man. Bravo.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back