Modding the Rubies Hot Topic Tie Fighter helmet

Jennigirl

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I got this thing on Sat, the 21st for $32 +tax on sale, and must say that it is 1/1 scale. I took all the proper measurements.
First thing I did was use modeling compound to fix the bottom of the face plate (still in progress), took the crappy lenses out, and started to reinforce the inside with epoxy resin(and soon fiberglass). Also added proper screws on visor section.
I am making this one of Vader's elite as seen in anh. I should be done with it by mid Nov. I will post update pics in a few weeks.

1508923564914164750291.jpg 15089236419121674212801.jpg

I'm definitely interested to see how this turns out. I've been wanting an AT-AT pilot helmet and seeing this just made a lightbulb go off... Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Update!
Interior, and re-molded section of the helmet has been fiberglassed, which now will need trimming, and sanding.15105203112111425036675.jpg

Pretty close, about 3/4" shorter in height. Everything else is near spot on.
Note that this is not the standard, but the deluxe, which is based on the classic action.

wow great project will be following :) Just done my first ever armor build myself so looking forward to seeing how this comes out

Hot Topix? Do you mean Hot Topic, the store with loads of music, tv and comic T-shirts and stuff? Or something else? If so, I might have to check a couple of the local malls pretty quick!

Looks good, can't wait to see it finished!

@OB10, Hot Topic had the Rubies Deluxe X-Wing and TIE Fighter Pilot helmets for Halloween, and they're trying to clear them out now that the holiday is past. My local HT only ever had the X-Wing one that I saw, which I have no interest in. It never occurred to me that they might have more than that one in their system/other stores. Definitely call around and ask.

@Kroenen77, that's the only one on their web site, and it's the same item number as what is all over the internet as their Deluxe -- 65006. I don't know if it's a name change, or if they were using old packaging from their prior Deluxe helmets or what. They do seem to have discontinued their Standard edition, though. Thank god. :rolleyes

Oh! And on-topic... Jennigirl, how much were you wanting to do to fix this thing up? I don't know what all you know or don't, so I don't know what ot offer. Jez's site is a wealth of reference photos and history of the real buckets. I can point you to good Shapeways items for the accurate forehead clips, rear pill box -- or compad if you want to go with that variant, etc. Let me know if I can be useful. :)

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered one of this helmets today...wanna see how it looks in person.It could be a good source to build a Battlefront 2 helmet or something like that.;)

I'm using it for a custom project, myself. ;) I like the symmetry and the price (now I've found one). The amount I'd have to pay for one of the higher-end replicas, just to then butcher it, always makes me uncomfortable. This? No problem. :lol

--UPDATE--

Yeah, no. Dammit, Rubies... With the Hot Topic helmet in hand, what the Rubies site calls "Supreme" and everywhere else calls "Deluxe", item #65006... is their soft-vinyl version of the helmet. Underscaled to maybe 85% of full scale, from comparing a DL TIE Pilot faceplate and my original APH-6B flight helmet. It will need a heat gun and patience to force it into proper shape. I still don't know the provenance of this helmet. It's slightly underscaled, as was the DP CA... but the details don't match. Mainly that raised strip across the brow that's not on any version DP made. So anyone planning to get this to work on, don't expect a true 1:1 bucket. It's decent for the price (assuming you pay around US$50 or less), and a workable base to start from, but I recommend extensive modification, and to be no taller than 5'10".

I'm not going to be starting on this any time soon, because life. But I'm definitely cutting out the faceplate. After seeing how a full-scale faceplate fits for my custom project, I may continue in that direction, or, if it looks too "wrong", I may retrofit it into a non-Stormtrooper Imperial flight helmet (the original props were widened by a good inch by taking the vac-formed halves of the Rebel helmets and hiding the gap with a wide strip of plastic and new front box on the mohawk).

So not great, but not awful. A good project lid, as OP is already underway on. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back