Help removing dye from flight suit

ed209

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I bought a green Rothco flight suit and wanted to change it to tan (They didn't have a tan one in my size and it's too late to have one shipped so close to Halloween). I bought some Rit dye remover, but after two attempts it appears as if none of the color has been removed (The fabric is a 65% polyester/35% cotton blend, I believe).

Any suggestions on how to remove the dye? Also, I bought some tan Rit synthetic dye; will that actually hold onto the fabric if I just try to dye over the green? Or will I come out with some monstrosity of a color?

Never try to dye over a color. Even if the piece is white to begin with.. you can buy a product by RIT called RIT dye remover from Walmart in the sewing and dye section. For a full flightsuit it should only take about 1-2 boxes, but I believe its about $1.75 per box of the powder stuff. Then just dye the piece like regular afterwords. But using this stuff, and not skipping this step will bring out the maximum color to your piece.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Probably won't work.

I have one in blue (different brand) that I tried several boxes of remover and even bleach and it didn't even lighten.

I tried dying / removing color from a flight suit a while ago and had zero luck. Removers had no effect on the color, and the fabric wouldn't hold any dye. I even tried a few boxes of the Rit stuff specifically made for synthetic materials, still nothing.

Polyester is extruded plastic - the color is integral to the fiber. There is no way to remove the color without destroying the fabric. If you try to overdye it, you are going to end up with a mostly green with a brownish cast.

you can buy a product by RIT called RIT dye remover from Walmart in the sewing and dye section. For a full flightsuit it should only take about 1-2 boxes, but I believe its about $1.75 per box of the powder stuff. Then just dye the piece like regular afterwords. But using this stuff, and not skipping this step will bring out the maximum color to your piece.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
Tried that already...twice. Had no effect. I read an article that suggested leaving it in the dye remover over night, but that was for a tan flight suit. It left the polyester strands yellow though, so it sounds like I'm just going to have to work with the OD green instead.

Either that, or just combine a tan combat shirt with tan cargo pants.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back