Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release)

Taking into consideration that I generally only see 2-3 movies in theater per year, but this year I've already seen rogue one, gotg vol. 2, Spider-Man Homecoming (twice), and I plan to see murder on the orient express and the last jedi. Is this worth spending that much more money for the ticket, or should I just wait?

In my opinion, it's totally worth going to see. For me, it's right up there with the first Guardians of the Galaxy as one of the best and most entertaining movies in the MCU so far. Lots of humor in but it never felt out of place and the Hemsworth-Hiddleston chemistry really shined, those two really work well together and this movie really showed it.

Personally, I liked this movie far better than the previous 2 Thor movies, they were always my least favorite of the MCU movies but this one really outshines its predecessors. It was a lot more fun than the previous 2 and Jeff Goldblum and Cate Blanchett practically stole the movie. Jeff Goldblum was perfect as the Grand Master, his quirkiness was out in full glory and used to its best in this movie, arguably one of his best roles ever and I'd love to see him onscreen with Benecio Del Toro as the Collector. Cate Blanchett looked like she was really into her role as Hela and was practically chewing up the scenery in some scenes. She most definitely was not phoning it in playing Hela.

I cannot believe how great this movie was. The action was very dynamic at times, a lot of interesting shots. Use of Mjolnir was really well-done. I kind of want him to have it back because it looked so great.

The occasional line just did not seem natural for the character due to the improv.

I could not stop laughing during the chair scene. Possibly my favorite thing in the whole movie. Great homage. Hela explaining Odin's gauntlet was good too.

Overall, I like this movie. ANOTHER!!!

"Where was Lady Sif?" I like the Kevin Feige's snarky comment that she's there -- for about a second in the "Tragedy of Loki" play. Really, though. We see her on her own in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I imagine Loki's kept her off doing errands, much the same as Thor, to keep them both from realizing Odin isn't Odin. I'm hoping this actually comes into play later on and she isnt' just killed off-screen retroactively when Hela shows up or Surtur demolishes Asgard.

Speaking of. OMG Surtur. I love Clancy Brown so much. Even though he was a voice actor here, I'm hoping he and Jeff still got to at least say hi. I think it's the first film they've been in together since Buckaroo Banzai.

Also, how has no one mentioned the Willy Wonka music playing when Thor is dragged through the Sakaar orientation film?

--Jonah

"Where was Lady Sif?" I like the Kevin Feige's snarky comment that she's there -- for about a second in the "Tragedy of Loki" play. Really, though. We see her on her own in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I imagine Loki's kept her off doing errands, much the same as Thor, to keep them both from realizing Odin isn't Odin. I'm hoping this actually comes into play later on and she isnt' just killed off-screen retroactively when Hela shows up or Surtur demolishes Asgard.

Speaking of. OMG Surtur. I love Clancy Brown so much. Even though he was a voice actor here, I'm hoping he and Jeff still got to at least say hi. I think it's the first film they've been in together since Buckaroo Banzai.

Also, how has no one mentioned the Willy Wonka music playing when Thor is dragged through the Sakaar orientation film?

--Jonah

Read my review.

I definitely enjoyed it far more than GoTG2.

For me I laughed so hard at Banner's fall from the sky and hitting the bridge before transforming. This movie was in pretty rare form to have a flow this good with some really great action and comedy. Thor's character development has been wonderful being the stiff and Shakespearean serious gladiator he used to be, to now have adapted to the Earth life and being far more cool and loose.... This is what it's all about is taking the time to really build and come to understand and grow with these characters. It makes it so easy to get into all of these films because of how well established these characters now are to where you don't need to take a whole lot of time to explain things. We just know them now and it's great.

I still can't believe Hela is Cate Blanchett. This was quite a big departure from roles I've seen her in before and she played a perfect bad-*** gal and was a surprise cool villain.

Re: Hela being Cate... All that keeps echoing through my head is "...You would have a Queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stranger than the foundations of the earth! All shall look on me and despair!"

And I'm, like... "Yeah, I can get behind that plan."

Re: Hela being Cate... All that keeps echoing through my head is "...You would have a Queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stranger than the foundations of the earth! All shall look on me and despair!"

And I'm, like... "Yeah, I can get behind that plan."
I thought she was pretty hot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just got back from seeing in IMAX 3D.

I've never been much of a fan of the first 2 Thors or the character of Thor in general, so I had very high hopes for Ragnarok, considering it looked so different from the trailers. Unfortunately, I thought it was just ok. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it.

I'd only watched the first trailer, so I went into this more blind than I typically do for MCU movies. I also walked in a few minutes late and sat down just as Thor was being chased by some dragon? He'd already beaten Surtur by this point so I was a bit confused. The confusion subsided quickly as the film got into it's main storyline.

I thought all of the performances were great and the newcomers were awesome, especially Valkyrie and the Grandmaster. Goldblum was wild, weird, and brilliantly hilarious. I particularly liked this new take on Thor, and am really digging his new look at the end of the film. Hulk was a welcome addition, but I felt like it ventured too far from the Hulk we've come to love. Same with Banner...he just seemed odd and weirdly different from what we're used to.

As for Hela, I thought she was rather lacking. Her entrance is menacing and establishes her power, which I thought was great, but then she sort of gets sidelined for a large chunk of the film, ultimately defeated in the same way MCU villains always do. In the end, she turned out to be just another cookie-cutter opposite version of our hero who wants to rule the entire universe. Seriously, can people not think of better motivations for these villains?? She starts out suuuuper powerful...she destroys Thor's hammer, kicks his ass in the bi-frost travel thingy, then walks into Asgard with swag and takes it over with no issues whatsoever. Then Thor spends the next chunk of the movie telling everyone "she's so powerful, the longer she's in Asgard the stronger she gets, blah, blah, blah," but then during the end battle between the two, he pretty much wrecks her after he channels his newfound powers again. It just seemed way too easy for Thor to defeat her after we've been told this whole time that she's just too powerful and literally can't be stopped. I was really hoping it would end with Thor going back to Asgard to fight her, knowing that he still wouldn't be able to win. Asgard would still end up destroyed, Thor and his friends defeated, and Hela standing victorious. *sigh* This lead to the stakes of the movie feeling very low.

The humor of the film wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be. I kept hearing about how hilarious it was, how it's the funniest Marvel movie ever, etc. I must have watched a different movie because it didn't come close to GotG Vol. 2-level funny. I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a film than GotG Vol. 2. But that's just subjective, so take that as you will. I will say that the visuals and production design were insane though. It's so detailed and there are some beautiful shots!

Overall, I really wanted this one to completely surprise me and win me over as one of my favorite MCU films, but it didn't. It's goofy, weird, and a ton of fun, but it just felt a bit shallow to me. I don't know if that had anything to do with me only watching the first trailer and voluntarily not getting swept up in the pre-moive hype as I normally do, or my lack of love for the Thor franchise as a whole. I don't know exactly. This may be the first MCU movie since Thor: The Dark World that I don't go see again in theaters. It will definitely be a fun rewatch when it comes out on Blu-Ray though. I may like it a lot more with future viewings, but only time will tell.

Thain Interesting, I thought you would have liked it. Im a fan of the Thor character myself, and really loved the Planet Hulk story that a bit of this was adapted from, and didnt care for the previous two Thor movies(I would put them at the bottom of my lists of MCU favorites) but I loved this movie. I thought it was funnier than Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and I respectfully disagree about the demise of Hela. Thor didnt actually defeat her, Surtur did by actually completing Ragnarok and destroying Asgard, which in turn, depowered Hela. And are we certain that we are sure that she even died/got destroyed? We dont exactly know if she is going to be Death in the MCU, considering Thanos' infatuation with Death, so instead of making an abstract entity like Death be personified into another character, they might make it her. We dont know yet. Or they could abandon the whole thing, but they did sort of hint at it at the end of Avengers.

I actually missed a couple jokes because the people in the theater I saw it in were laughing too much. If I had any qualms with it, its Loki. Kind of tired of his "Im bad, but not a threat, then Im good, then Im sort of bad again" kind of schtick. Reminds me of the newer Xmen movies where Magneto is a villain, then he is friends with Charles, then he leaves bad again etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Thain Interesting, I thought you would have liked it. Im a fan of the Thor character myself, and really loved the Planet Hulk story that a bit of this was adapted from, and didnt care for the previous two Thor movies(I would put them at the bottom of my lists of MCU favorites) but I loved this movie. I thought it was funnier than Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and I respectfully disagree about the demise of Hela. Thor didnt actually defeat her, Surtur did by actually completing Ragnarok and destroying Asgard, which in turn, depowered Hela. And are we certain that we are sure that she even died/got destroyed? We dont exactly know if she is going to be Death in the MCU, considering Thanos' infatuation with Death, so instead of making an abstract entity like Death be personified into another character, they might make it her. We dont know yet. Or they could abandon the whole thing, but they did sort of hint at it at the end of Avengers.

I actually missed a couple jokes because the people in the theater I saw it in were laughing too much. If I had any qualms with it, its Loki. Kind of tired of his "Im bad, but not a threat, then Im good, then Im sort of bad again" kind of schtick. Reminds me of the newer Xmen movies where Magneto is a villain, then he is friends with Charles, then he leaves bad again etc.

I was really hoping I'd love it, as I've greatly enjoyed every MCU movie so far, despite some of the weaker ones. And I forgot about how Hela was defeated...you're right, that wasn't a standard MCU villain defeat. I did think the use of Surtur to bring end to Asgard was pretty awesome. I also don't think that Hela died. I'm in the camp that believes she'll take the place of Death in Infinity War, so I think we'll be seeing her again. It only makes sense using an already established character for that role than introducing a new one...IW will be introducing the Black Order too, so any more new characters might get a bit crowded.

I will probably go see it again, as I've heard that the opening scene is one of the best and I pretty much missed all of it. It's a fun movie no doubt!

Wow. Wowowow. I was SERIOUSLY blown away by this. I went in expecting a decent movie, and WOAH. This was fantastic!! Thor is honestly one of my new favorite MCU characters, which took me by complete surprise as I've always just considered him "eh, just one of the avengers", but man... anyway, those are just my initial reaction.

It's been a little while since I saw this film now but what I picked up on and has stuck in my brain the most is that this seemed to be a comedy film, or superhero film. I don't feel as if the two married very much. I feel there was the story set up, then there was a comedy film on Sakarr then when the story ended up back at Asgard and was a superhero film again.

When Taika Waititi directed What We Do in the Shadows, it was film about a group of Vampires who fell about the place, a series of events that occur and might intertwine. I feel that that Thor Ragnarok was the least linear of the MCU Films and perhaps that's why it was jarring to me.

I'm confused. Thor, God of thunder/lightning...gets hurt by that electric neck taser?!

When he was tasered by Darcy in first Thor film it makes sense as he lost his powers...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back