Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release)

I'm confused. Thor, God of thunder/lightning...gets hurt by that electric neck taser?!

When he was tasered by Darcy in first Thor film it makes sense as he lost his powers...
Yeah that was kind of weird too. I believe in the comic it was more psychic related as opposed to electricity. that bugged me too, but a minor nitpick in my opinion.

I'm confused. Thor, God of thunder/lightning...gets hurt by that electric neck taser?!

When he was tasered by Darcy in first Thor film it makes sense as he lost his powers...

Didn't look to me like it was just an electric neck taser thing. If you watched closely, you'd see that when he and Loki get zapped, their veins pop out and turn into a bluish or purplish color (don't really remember clearly). We're talking about advanced space tech stuff so whatever that thing may be is not limited to electricity.

Didn't look to me like it was just an electric neck taser thing. If you watched closely, you'd see that when he and Loki get zapped, their veins pop out and turn into a bluish or purplish color (don't really remember clearly). We're talking about advanced space tech stuff so whatever that thing may be is not limited to electricity.

In addition to not being just a taser, there is also a difference between generating/directing power at someone else and having the same thing done to you. For example, Palpatine was disfigured by his own Sith lightning, but it doesn't hurt his fingers when it comes out.

I like Ragnarok, it was a fun twist to the modern MCU stereotype. I liked Korg (Stone Guy) and thought it was interesting how Thor ended up with the Odin-style eye patch. looking forward to seeing him in IW.

In comparison to the other MCU movies, it was maybe 4th or 5th for me. It was better than GotGV2 and AoU, but nowhere near Spiderman: Homecoming or CAWS. Id see it again just for the epic soundtrack!

Picked up the blu-ray the other day and finally got around to watching this. Can't say I was impressed. I guess I enjoyed it okay, but thought it just had too much humor. Trouble is, it wasn't the kind of humor I laughed at, just thought it was silly. That kind of stuff is fine for GOTG, which I like, but I really don't want Marvel to keep going in this direction. If this wasn't called Ragnarok maybe it would be okay, but Ragnarok deserves a massive epic of a movie, not slapstick kiddie jokes. I guess if I was under 13 I would probably like it better.

Yeah yeah, fun, popcorn, etc. whatever.

Redboxed it. Pleasantly surprised. I haven't been thrilled with the Thor films, but this was fun.

Although it's nice to have a non-stodgy Thor, I thought he was taken too far in that direction. It's like a completely different character. But if one gets past that, he's fun.

I like Cate Blanchett, but it occurred to me that Marina Sirtis would've been interesting.

Goldblum was a delight.

Thor in the chair with the Wonka music: funny! If only Paul Frees was still with us. Imagine if he had done the narration ala the old Disneyland attraction Adventure Thru Inner Space.

I like the line "are you the god of hammers?"

Led Zeppelin song was way out of place. This isn't GotG. Maybe if they'd done it on Sakaar it would've felt more appropriate.

From the special features, I see they removed some particularly goofy characters from Goldblum's chambers. Big green wacky furry creatures. I support this decision.

How does a quinjet traverse interstellar space?

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice the ceiling mural showing Hela wielding Mjolnir? Was she “worthy”? Or was that a spell that was added to the weapon after her exile?

Wikipedia isn't much help on that point, but there have been wielders outside of Thor's family in the comics (Captain America, Jane Foster, Squirrel Girl, and a few others). It doesn't seem there's a solid definition of what it means to be "worthy," but I know it's been speculated that it's to be worthy as a warrior (Cap being a soldier, but not a "warrior," could be why he could budge it in Age of Ultron, but not lift it), and Hela definitely was a warrior in that time period.

Something about purity of heart/motive, I think. Cap could move it in the movies because he's a good man, but not fully "worthy" because his nobility is tainted (in the strictest scientific sense) by nationalism. Hela was apparently worthy back before she went Dark Side. Dunno if she could have wielded it after her release. Stopping it and shattering it is not quite the same thing, and I don't know whether it counts. I wonder how Longshot would do...

--Jonah

I’ve always felt that “worthiness” included the caveat that the person had a desire to rule. While cap can lead a squad and is pure of heart he wouldn’t want to be a ruler.

Something about purity of heart/motive, I think. Cap could move it in the movies because he's a good man, but not fully "worthy" because his nobility is tainted (in the strictest scientific sense) by nationalism. Hela was apparently worthy back before she went Dark Side. Dunno if she could have wielded it after her release. Stopping it and shattering it is not quite the same thing, and I don't know whether it counts. I wonder how Longshot would do...

--Jonah

That's why I thought Cap got it to move. I don't think nationalism has anything to do with it though because Thor is pretty fond of Asgard! I don't know how Hela could use it though because I doubt the God of Death is pure of heart, good, etc.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back