Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Subscribe
  1. Inquisitor Peregrinus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2002
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    Messages
    2,432
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 9, 2017, 12:25 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #51

    Re: Hela being Cate... All that keeps echoing through my head is "...You would have a Queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stranger than the foundations of the earth! All shall look on me and despair!"

    And I'm, like... "Yeah, I can get behind that plan."
  2. Toadmeister's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Messages
    779
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 9, 2017, 1:40 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #52

    Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    Re: Hela being Cate... All that keeps echoing through my head is "...You would have a Queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stranger than the foundations of the earth! All shall look on me and despair!"

    And I'm, like... "Yeah, I can get behind that plan."
    I thought she was pretty hot.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  3. PantheraGem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    From
    Herald, Kalifornia
    Messages
    903
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 9, 2017, 2:17 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #53

    Toadmeister said: View Post
    I thought she was pretty hot.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I thought she was as Irina Spalko as well. She makes for a very attractive villain.
  4. RPF Premium Member Thain's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Messages
    453
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 10, 2017, 11:26 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #54

    Just got back from seeing in IMAX 3D.

    I've never been much of a fan of the first 2 Thors or the character of Thor in general, so I had very high hopes for Ragnarok, considering it looked so different from the trailers. Unfortunately, I thought it was just ok. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it.

    I'd only watched the first trailer, so I went into this more blind than I typically do for MCU movies. I also walked in a few minutes late and sat down just as Thor was being chased by some dragon? He'd already beaten Surtur by this point so I was a bit confused. The confusion subsided quickly as the film got into it's main storyline.

    I thought all of the performances were great and the newcomers were awesome, especially Valkyrie and the Grandmaster. Goldblum was wild, weird, and brilliantly hilarious. I particularly liked this new take on Thor, and am really digging his new look at the end of the film. Hulk was a welcome addition, but I felt like it ventured too far from the Hulk we've come to love. Same with Banner...he just seemed odd and weirdly different from what we're used to.

    As for Hela, I thought she was rather lacking. Her entrance is menacing and establishes her power, which I thought was great, but then she sort of gets sidelined for a large chunk of the film, ultimately defeated in the same way MCU villains always do. In the end, she turned out to be just another cookie-cutter opposite version of our hero who wants to rule the entire universe. Seriously, can people not think of better motivations for these villains?? She starts out suuuuper powerful...she destroys Thor's hammer, kicks his ass in the bi-frost travel thingy, then walks into Asgard with swag and takes it over with no issues whatsoever. Then Thor spends the next chunk of the movie telling everyone "she's so powerful, the longer she's in Asgard the stronger she gets, blah, blah, blah," but then during the end battle between the two, he pretty much wrecks her after he channels his newfound powers again. It just seemed way too easy for Thor to defeat her after we've been told this whole time that she's just too powerful and literally can't be stopped. I was really hoping it would end with Thor going back to Asgard to fight her, knowing that he still wouldn't be able to win. Asgard would still end up destroyed, Thor and his friends defeated, and Hela standing victorious. *sigh* This lead to the stakes of the movie feeling very low.

    The humor of the film wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be. I kept hearing about how hilarious it was, how it's the funniest Marvel movie ever, etc. I must have watched a different movie because it didn't come close to GotG Vol. 2-level funny. I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a film than GotG Vol. 2. But that's just subjective, so take that as you will. I will say that the visuals and production design were insane though. It's so detailed and there are some beautiful shots!

    Overall, I really wanted this one to completely surprise me and win me over as one of my favorite MCU films, but it didn't. It's goofy, weird, and a ton of fun, but it just felt a bit shallow to me. I don't know if that had anything to do with me only watching the first trailer and voluntarily not getting swept up in the pre-moive hype as I normally do, or my lack of love for the Thor franchise as a whole. I don't know exactly. This may be the first MCU movie since Thor: The Dark World that I don't go see again in theaters. It will definitely be a fun rewatch when it comes out on Blu-Ray though. I may like it a lot more with future viewings, but only time will tell.
  5. dascoyne's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    From
    Palo Alto, CA
    Messages
    4,352
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 11:33 AM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #55

    I'm still amazed the were able to realize Hela's (Kirby) antlers on film.
  6. Snikt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2013
    From
    San Diego
    Messages
    1,765
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 12:37 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #56

    @Thain Interesting, I thought you would have liked it. Im a fan of the Thor character myself, and really loved the Planet Hulk story that a bit of this was adapted from, and didnt care for the previous two Thor movies(I would put them at the bottom of my lists of MCU favorites) but I loved this movie. I thought it was funnier than Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and I respectfully disagree about the demise of Hela. Thor didnt actually defeat her, Surtur did by actually completing Ragnarok and destroying Asgard, which in turn, depowered Hela. And are we certain that we are sure that she even died/got destroyed? We dont exactly know if she is going to be Death in the MCU, considering Thanos' infatuation with Death, so instead of making an abstract entity like Death be personified into another character, they might make it her. We dont know yet. Or they could abandon the whole thing, but they did sort of hint at it at the end of Avengers.

    I actually missed a couple jokes because the people in the theater I saw it in were laughing too much. If I had any qualms with it, its Loki. Kind of tired of his "Im bad, but not a threat, then Im good, then Im sort of bad again" kind of schtick. Reminds me of the newer Xmen movies where Magneto is a villain, then he is friends with Charles, then he leaves bad again etc.
  7. RPF Premium Member Thain's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Messages
    453
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 2:27 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #57

    Snikt said: View Post
    @Thain Interesting, I thought you would have liked it. Im a fan of the Thor character myself, and really loved the Planet Hulk story that a bit of this was adapted from, and didnt care for the previous two Thor movies(I would put them at the bottom of my lists of MCU favorites) but I loved this movie. I thought it was funnier than Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and I respectfully disagree about the demise of Hela. Thor didnt actually defeat her, Surtur did by actually completing Ragnarok and destroying Asgard, which in turn, depowered Hela. And are we certain that we are sure that she even died/got destroyed? We dont exactly know if she is going to be Death in the MCU, considering Thanos' infatuation with Death, so instead of making an abstract entity like Death be personified into another character, they might make it her. We dont know yet. Or they could abandon the whole thing, but they did sort of hint at it at the end of Avengers.

    I actually missed a couple jokes because the people in the theater I saw it in were laughing too much. If I had any qualms with it, its Loki. Kind of tired of his "Im bad, but not a threat, then Im good, then Im sort of bad again" kind of schtick. Reminds me of the newer Xmen movies where Magneto is a villain, then he is friends with Charles, then he leaves bad again etc.
    I was really hoping I'd love it, as I've greatly enjoyed every MCU movie so far, despite some of the weaker ones. And I forgot about how Hela was defeated...you're right, that wasn't a standard MCU villain defeat. I did think the use of Surtur to bring end to Asgard was pretty awesome. I also don't think that Hela died. I'm in the camp that believes she'll take the place of Death in Infinity War, so I think we'll be seeing her again. It only makes sense using an already established character for that role than introducing a new one...IW will be introducing the Black Order too, so any more new characters might get a bit crowded.

    I will probably go see it again, as I've heard that the opening scene is one of the best and I pretty much missed all of it. It's a fun movie no doubt!
  8. doctorDWwho's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Messages
    474
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 20, 2017, 7:44 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #58

    Wow. Wowowow. I was SERIOUSLY blown away by this. I went in expecting a decent movie, and WOAH. This was fantastic!! Thor is honestly one of my new favorite MCU characters, which took me by complete surprise as I've always just considered him "eh, just one of the avengers", but man... anyway, those are just my initial reaction.
  9. Member Since
    May 2015
    From
    Greater Manchester
    Messages
    17
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 26, 2017, 11:02 AM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #59

    It's been a little while since I saw this film now but what I picked up on and has stuck in my brain the most is that this seemed to be a comedy film, or superhero film. I don't feel as if the two married very much. I feel there was the story set up, then there was a comedy film on Sakarr then when the story ended up back at Asgard and was a superhero film again.

    When Taika Waititi directed What We Do in the Shadows, it was film about a group of Vampires who fell about the place, a series of events that occur and might intertwine. I feel that that Thor Ragnarok was the least linear of the MCU Films and perhaps that's why it was jarring to me.
  10. Member Since
    May 2010
    From
    San Diego, Ca
    Messages
    279
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 27, 2017, 2:59 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #60

    I'm confused. Thor, God of thunder/lightning...gets hurt by that electric neck taser?!

    When he was tasered by Darcy in first Thor film it makes sense as he lost his powers...
  11. Snikt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2013
    From
    San Diego
    Messages
    1,765
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 27, 2017, 3:47 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #61

    TKRalph said: View Post
    I'm confused. Thor, God of thunder/lightning...gets hurt by that electric neck taser?!

    When he was tasered by Darcy in first Thor film it makes sense as he lost his powers...
    Yeah that was kind of weird too. I believe in the comic it was more psychic related as opposed to electricity. that bugged me too, but a minor nitpick in my opinion.
  12. matthewdelacruz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Messages
    720
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 27, 2017, 3:48 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #62

    TKRalph said: View Post
    I'm confused. Thor, God of thunder/lightning...gets hurt by that electric neck taser?!

    When he was tasered by Darcy in first Thor film it makes sense as he lost his powers...
    Didn't look to me like it was just an electric neck taser thing. If you watched closely, you'd see that when he and Loki get zapped, their veins pop out and turn into a bluish or purplish color (don't really remember clearly). We're talking about advanced space tech stuff so whatever that thing may be is not limited to electricity.
  13. Lightning's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2005
    From
    New Orleans, LA
    Messages
    276
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 27, 2017, 4:22 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #63

    TKRalph said: View Post
    I'm confused. Thor, God of thunder/lightning...gets hurt by that electric neck taser?!

    When he was tasered by Darcy in first Thor film it makes sense as he lost his powers...
    matthewdelacruz said: View Post
    Didn't look to me like it was just an electric neck taser thing. If you watched closely, you'd see that when he and Loki get zapped, their veins pop out and turn into a bluish or purplish color (don't really remember clearly). We're talking about advanced space tech stuff so whatever that thing may be is not limited to electricity.
    In addition to not being just a taser, there is also a difference between generating/directing power at someone else and having the same thing done to you. For example, Palpatine was disfigured by his own Sith lightning, but it doesn't hurt his fingers when it comes out.
  14. 5P1D3RM4N's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2016
    From
    Queens, New York
    Messages
    156
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 27, 2017, 5:02 PM - Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Post-release) #64

    I like Ragnarok, it was a fun twist to the modern MCU stereotype. I liked Korg (Stone Guy) and thought it was interesting how Thor ended up with the Odin-style eye patch. looking forward to seeing him in IW.

    In comparison to the other MCU movies, it was maybe 4th or 5th for me. It was better than GotGV2 and AoU, but nowhere near Spiderman: Homecoming or CAWS. Id see it again just for the epic soundtrack!

Similar Threads

  1. Thor: Ragnarok
    Vivek, Entertainment and Movie Talk
    Replies: 208
    Last Post: Oct 21, 2017, 11:38 PM
  2. Thor Ragnarok costume
    robertvalko, Marvel Costumes and Props
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Oct 11, 2017, 5:42 PM
  3. Thor Ragnarok Pepakura?
    agnew16, Marvel Costumes and Props
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 26, 2017, 10:19 AM