Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

lukemacros11.jpg

this doe not appear to be on the back side of some ue400's
but here is another pick of the inside of one, there is more to it

cache_43342520.jpg

I'm by no means sold that this exact piece definitely comes from an Ibanez footswitch. This format was used on other old tech, seems if we find the matching female piece, we've found the source for the mystery box, though there are a few versions of the male piece that are very close (and perhaps identical) that could work, like on the Ibanez. Time will tell!

It looks as if the cable alone is not what we need.

For me the inner rounded metalpiece of the 400 is needed, too. So, no cheap way out. :D

I agree with you. We will need the plug and inner piece. Not bad. Only $400-$500 a piece. Omg. I think we dump one in a mold and cast up a bunch minus the pins.

I'm by no means sold that this exact piece definitely comes from an Ibanez footswitch. This format was used on other old tech, seems if we find the matching female piece, we've found the source for the mystery box, though there are a few versions of the male piece that are very close (and perhaps identical) that could work, like on the Ibanez. Time will tell!

My thoughts exactly [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent all night googling. This connector was used on vintage VTRs Panasonic TV monitors and others and also computer and video components. Problem I'm seeing is that it would obviously be 70s and those cables are scarce. In fact I've found many posts from people looking for these connectors and resorting to replacing the input plug bit. By the way this hunt is fun as hell.

I think what we may be seeing on the outside of the female connector is the remains of a 4 pin connector or 2 of them since we can't see the lower area in shadow. this is a common way to connect wires to the back side of a connector to make it easier to replace the plug component.

I think what we may be seeing on the outside of the female connector is the remains of a 4 pin connector or 2 of them since we can't see the lower area in shadow. this is a common way to connect wires to the back side of a connector to make it easier to replace the plug component.

crazy how close we were on our interpretations, we just needed to blend the two together :lol
IMG_4538[1].JPG

Here's my question: Which version is our Mystery Box?

Screen-Used (Upside Down).jpg

Older version of the male plug found on Ibanez board (right) or semi-newer version of the male plug found on cables for other tech (left) ??? Notice the difference in thickness in the metal contact on the side of the plug ...which matches the macros? I keep going back and forth. Is it a third version with a thickness in between the two?

Comparison.jpg

Attachments

• Upside Down Right Side-Front.jpg
    Upside Down Right Side-Front.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 398
the front of the second pic has more to it, I don't think it is that particular one. also the release button/tab does not appear to be as wide on macro

Here's my question: Which version is our Mystery Box?

View attachment 774441

Older version of the male plug found on Ibanez board (right) or semi-newer version of the male plug found on cables for other tech (left) ??? Notice the difference in thickness in the metal contact on the side of the plug ...which matches the macros? I keep going back and forth. Is it a third version with a thickness in between the two?

View attachment 774442

I believe its the one on the right. Also, the screws have possible been taken out. The more I look at the original I think its individual pin connectors we are seeing on the outside of the female piece due to the difference in closeness to the plug.

UPDATE Ok....now I went back a bunch more times and Im confused as well......

I believe its the one on the right. Also, the screws have possible been taken out. The more I look at the original I think its individual pin connectors we are seeing on the outside of the female piece due to the difference in closeness to the plug.

from this piclukemacros.jpg

here is a blow up, I could see something round with a raised edge. I can see the shadow on the eumig and judged the lea from that

......jpg

When I discovered the plug on the Ibenez pedal board, I knew it was a good match, but not necessarily the exact item. The fact is the oldest Ibanez pedal board ( the UE700) came out in 1978/1979. As we all know, the movie came out before that. Thanks to the excellent team work of the RPF community, we now know that these were common plugs used on old VTRs (video tape recorders), also video dubbing and editing machines in the 70s for connecting monitors. They were called EIAJ Rec. 8 Pin Male (or female) Connector and later E8M
connectors (actual names vary by manufacturer and distributor listings
). The EIAJ 8 Pin connector changed from rectangle to round as time passed so don’t be discouraged if you only see the modern round one when you first start searching. These cables were probably all over place in Hollywood and English studios. Just wanted to put this out there for those seeking the exact piece. Happy Hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I discovered the plug on the Ibenez pedal board, I knew it was a good match, but not necessarily the exact item. The fact is the oldest Ibanez pedal board ( the UE700) came out in 1978/1979. As we all know, the movie came out before that. Thanks to the excellent team work of the RPF community, we now know that these were common plugs used on old VTRs (video tape recorders), also video dubbing and editing machines in the 70s for connecting monitors. They were called EIAJ Rec. 8 Pin Male (or female) Connector and later E8M
connectors (actual names vary by manufacturer and distributor listings
). The EIAJ 8 Pin connector changed from rectangle to round as time passed so don’t be discouraged if you only see the modern round one when you first start searching. These cables were probably all over place in Hollywood and English studios. Just wanted to put this out there for those seeking the exact piece. Happy Hunting!

Thank you for sharing such a huge breakthrough with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back