Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

As I understand it that's correct. The greebles people put on the side are their interpretation of what they think it looks like.
I believe that is true of the cheese wedge piece too.
In Christian's book he says the Macro's had a light so when Luke uses them it appears as though he is looking into a screen. It could easily have been some type of switch they rigged up to create that effect.

I could have sworn I posted that somewhere saying that I found that pic AFTER thinking I had found the other knob to be correct. So my own prop reverted back to this one. Still though, the sand people scene that knob looks awfully different and I think they may have used both, unless there were TWO of them. I wish we had better clear pics of this thing. The sand people scene knob certainly looks like a black band vs. the knurled metal of the other. Even at that resolution those wide spaced knurls should be evident.

Alas, for now we can only get close... until images surface.

- - - Updated - - -

Check how I did the insides with grey T bar. I just flipped the number plate from the seagull over the T bar to get that same look.

http://www.scottandtemphotography.com/graflexSaber/feb2017builds/B20170310-105004.jpg
Awesome

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Instead of EL sheet I plan on building a small box of white styrene, placing it behind the "screen" and using a single white LED, set back as far as possible.

I also plan on putting a red LED off to the side of the front of the screen, to produce the effect seen while Luke is using it at night.

Macro at night.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is the best I can see

View attachment 772216

Your photos have disappeared...

Instead of EL sheet I plan on building a small box of white styrene, placing it behind the "screen" and using a single white LED, set back as far as possible.

I also plan on putting a red LED off to the side of the front of the screen, to produce the effect seen while Luke is using it at night.

View attachment 774023

- - - Updated - - -

Your photos have disappeared...

the red light is not from the macros, but the moisture evaporator in the background

LOL, I was just acting naive because I was excited about the discovery. I am working on a build, but I did not want to do it if I had to put a plastic mock-up on it, or worse, something that was completely wrong.

So I started researching, first enhancing the best picture I could find of the original (you all know the pic), then just searching google images for hours a day, over several weeks. My wife said I was nuts!

The other day, When I was googling “Old 6 and 8 pin anolog connectors and plugs”, and scrolling down pages of photos, my heart suddenly stopped. There is was.

The plugs were made in the mid “70s” and into the early “80s”. I figured I should find one for sale and buy it before everyone goes nuts purchasing them.

The easiest way to find the plug (hopefully someone will find a cheaper way of obtaining them), is to google Ibanez UE700 (or UE400 and UE405). Check out google images, look for a good photo that includes an image of the plug that connects the Foot Controller to the Multi Effects Processor.

It it was my pleasure to help all the Star Wars build enthusiasts out there.

David

I know, it’s exciting! I wish there was a way to let all those I have seen on this site who have built some wonderful Macro’s know about this !

Oh, wow! That certainly seems to be it! Incredible work tracking this down. Your attachment seems to be down, a google search shows two types of foot pedals ... One with multi-colored buttons and one with grey buttons. Do they both have the accurate plug???

The UE700 is the older version and has a larger foot switch with small metal toggle buttons and colored “effects names” that light up when activated. The 400 has the narrower footswitch with large square switches. I know the 400 has the correct plug, and I am almost as sure the 700 has the same. However, the 700 is rare and coveted by musicians, so the price of these, if even found, are 3 to 4 times more than the 400.

I see that the UE405 also SEEMS to have the same plug given this photo:

UE400 Plug 2.jpg

but this closeup photo from another source looks as if the plug has a plastic housing, with a strange circular formation on the side that I can't see when looking at other versions:

UE400 Plug 3.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I just ordered a 400 footswitch. It is coming from Italy. I will update with photo when I get it. I have seen photos of the plugs that have plenty of ware and metal is showing under the paint. The circular formation is a metal clip that locks the plug onto the main unit. You push it in to remove the plug.

Here is another pic of the 400 plug. You can see the worn edges showing metal.

B52A1885-7F64-45F6-9028-043060EE8E78.png

I'm thinking the wedge on the viewer hood might just be a foot switch too. Think they can be quite small also.
Ordered one too before the mad rush ensues

I'm thinking the wedge on the viewer hood might just be a foot switch too. Think they can be quite small also.
Ordered one too before the mad rush ensues

What did you pay buddy?...the cheapest ones seem to go for around 200 Euro
we need just the pedal, right? Would it be worth checking out, if the main panel contains some other greeblies!?. Hmmmm.....��

Last edited:
I tracked down a foot switch last night as well. Shipping Monday :$ Glad to hear about the metal clip around the plug, that one image scared me.

This is is so exciting!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back