Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

to my knowledge all the guys that have been at this for years say it's all four kalimars, there are a couple newbs ive seen say otherwise lol :) but no, it's 4 kalimars !
the green tab shows clearly through, leading me to think they only painted the female section black

I should have said excluding the green button. What I'm getting at is the two silver rivet/bumps should be black as well. Yes?

looking at the pics of the box, tome, it does look painted black. it's the reason no one seen them as rivets or screws, I saw the bright spots coming off of each of the screws and rivets as tiny raised dots. they were so blacked out with paint a bad shots nothing could be made of them.
when I do my build I'm going to paint it. but that's my interpretation of the pics :)

I should have said excluding the green button. What I'm getting at is the two silver rivet/bumps should be black as well. Yes?

Wonder how the green button survived the spray. Why bother to paint it at all since it was mostly black. Just thinking out loud here. Where can I get an aluminum lens plate? I'm not thrilled with my resin one.

Probably because it wasn’t reflective. All bright metal bits got dulled down so they wouldn’t glare in those binary suns. My best guess, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The button, rivets and screws are raised areas.

Paint either wore off during handling or it was, more likely, removed a bit to simulate weathering.

This would explain the reflective highlights we see.

I plan on using a small circle of bare metal foil applied to the rivets on my resin copy so I can remove a bit of the black I plan to paint over it.

i have some super accurate ones coming in, hopefully in the next day or so.
Wonder how the green button survived the spray. Why bother to paint it at all since it was mostly black. Just thinking out loud here. Where can I get an aluminum lens plate? I'm not thrilled with my resin one.

Definitely look like Kalimar knobs on side. What gray are people using for lenses?

mac5.jpg

Last edited:
Ok guys, I pretty much have all of the main parts for the macros. The 220, Eumig, seagull, the metal transition box is coming and I'm gonna get DSE's lens plate. Any advice on how to get these Kalimars?

Ok guys, I pretty much have all of the main parts for the macros. The 220, Eumig, seagull, the metal transition box is coming and I'm gonna get DSE's lens plate. Any advice on how to get these Kalimars?
Have lots of money ready when they pop up on eBay.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

yep, the last five have been over $500 - $650....ridicules were back here with these prices. the last few years these were selling for under $150 :facepalm

I used Tamiya Dark Grey XF-24. It's not exact with a matte finish/vs gloss... but with a coat of gloss clear over it, it should work nearly perfectly.

I know Anakin Starkiller has done one in the past. It's not difficult to make your own, though.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back