Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

Unless I missed it, there was only 1 hero (these two photos) and 1 stunt, used by Biggs.
I may be completely wrong but
I mention this because:

It seems this photo matches up with the green tab better than the metal, wide tab:

10306250_520707111385241_5822257307936282152_n.jpg

But in this photo it looks very shiny, as if it were a wide, metal tab, and not green:

binocs_bw2A_large.png

Me too... I got outbid apparently by Jerry at the last second too at mega high prices. I wish we would have coordinated... so at least not all went to only one person and could have saved someone some money.

HOLLY COW !! im getting pounded with emails asking to sell my connector. im sorry guys i dont have any to sell. these auctions were won with multiple people involved. none are for sale that im aware of .

Unless I missed it, there was only 1 hero (these two photos) and 1 stunt, used by Biggs.
I may be completely wrong but
I mention this because:

It seems this photo matches up with the green tab better than the metal, wide tab:

View attachment 791564

But in this photo it looks very shiny, as if it were a wide, metal tab, and not green:

View attachment 791567

I don't think that's the push-tab that we're seeing in the black and white photo. I believe that's a weathered edge of the female housing where the metal is showing through. The tab would be further back behind his hand, I believe.

So I just had a pretty wild experience. I work for a university here in my town, and today I decided to head over to the school's surplus warehouse to find a filing cabinet for my new office. This warehouse is where old furniture, projectors, office/class equipment owned by the school goes when it has nowhere else to go. Staff can go to the warehouse, present their ID and basically slap a sticker on anything that they want sent to their office. The equipment can't be bought or sold, so it just sits here until an employee has use for it. Upon walking in, my eye was immediately drawn to a bunch of pallets covered in old A/V gear (a gold mine for someone like me). I immediately noticed that they had a handful of old Sony and Panasonic VTR's. I decided to try my luck and slap stickers on a few of them that seemed to have accurate mystery box parts. I could see this getting veto'd up the line, but nobody really has a practical application for these anymore, so we'll see! I'm going to go back soon when I have more time and search the whole place to see if they have any of the original EIAJ cables that went with them. I'm not sure where the newly discovered "green-tab" male connector comes from, but at the very least I'll hopefully get some accurate metal female housings/plastic plugs out of them.

Last edited:
I don't think that's the push-tab that we're seeing in the black and white photo. I believe that's a weathered edge of the female housing where the metal is showing through. The tab would be further back behind his hand, I believe.
Yeah thats the weathering on the bottom half of the metal female housing. If we are looking at the samething.

I agree as well it's weathering or just the sheen of the gloss paint ....

None the less excellent find !!!
And now the hunt is on again!!
09e94eea0866a6fb1a1ce58700973c08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fantastic find!! So what is the model/name of the green tab Honda connector and what was its application? Was it a Honda VTR cable connector?

Dewback_Rider
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After you pointed that out I can see it now and you are correct.

Too much time squinting.

Yeah thats the weathering on the bottom half of the metal female housing. If we are looking at the samething.

Glad to see there will be replicas of this tough to find connector. A friend of mine had 2 different cables in his pile of old video equipment, and they were male connectors of different styles. I've now seen 7 different styles of this connector.

Hi guys. Is there a source for resin Kaligar lenses? I´m afraid i cannot get my hands on original ones...

Man oh man! I just read through all the discovery. I can't believe I missed all this!

Nice work, everyone!

Now to start searching for these parts.... anyone have any spare??

This is the last Mystery Box I can let go of.......

IMG_2517.JPG
IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

I'm including a female part that you could paint black, but it's not 100% correct. It is missing one plate, but you can only see one when the box is on the Eumig anyway. Plus it makes the box sit a little better on the side with it missing.

- Jim

This is the last Mystery Box I can let go of.......

View attachment 792255
View attachment 792256

View attachment 792257

I'm including a female part that you could paint black, but it's not 100% correct. It is missing one plate, but you can only see one when the box is on the Eumig anyway. Plus it makes the box sit a little better on the side with it missing.

- Jim

Jim,

I can donate my unused small tab plate to make it whole. I have to drop off something for you anyway.

I have a small tab on one side, and a large tab on the other. I like options.

So, I have some small updates on my build, but first I'd like to share a discovery that I made today, which is that for enough $$$ you can actually purchase a set of what are essentially real-world, 3D macrobinoculars! Made by Sony, they feature 25X magnification with 3D, HD video feeds to each eye, extensive stabilization, and HD/3D video-recording capability. Pretty wild!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...eview-sony-dev-50-digital-recording-binocular

I'd love to get my hands on a pair of these. It did make me think, though .... could one combine an accurate set of macrobinoculars with two cameras, a smart phone and lenses from a google cardboard viewer to make a simple version of these? Probably not with the size limitations of an accurate transition box/viewer setup, but maybe for a custom build?

Anyways, updates:

I mounted my mystery box setup using two M2.5mmx0.45mm machine screws. These were the closest I could find to the connector's stock faceplate screws. None of the big-box stores had anything close (as expected) but Ace had some of these in their "miniscrews" drawer. I almost missed them. They didn't have any locking nuts in that size, so I just used two nuts tightened against each other. The screws threaded into the plug surprisingly well, making a solid connection. This thing isn't going anywhere, and if I do ever get my hands on the accurate green-tab faceplate, it's an easy swap/re-mount:

I received my mystery box pin plate from @Seneca. With a few twists and turns of the pins with some pliers, it slid right on. I might give it some satin black, but for now I like the gloss:

I finally mounted the small Seagull knobs. This was a PITA. I originally had hopes of ID'ing the thread on the knobs and tapping the Euming body for them, but eventually gave up on that. I decided to just drill a hole roughly the diameter of the threads and pressure-fit them. I used a bar-clamp and was cautious not to bend the thin frame of the Eumig. I guess the pressure was a bit too much for one of the knobs, as it's all locked up and won't turn, but the second knob still turns. Overall, I'm happy with them:

Next up: Painting/mounting the belt clip. Stay tuned!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back