Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

Well that was a bit of an ordeal... It was over an hour to drive out to where these monitors were, and then there was a bit of a mix up. Long story short, there was only 11 monitors instead of 12 and the deal wasn't quite what was advertised. But I've got the 11 monitors in hand and they've got the accurate female plug. When I get some time, I'll start opening these things up and removing the plugs.

JVCmonitors.jpg

On an interesting bright side, there was a different model of 8 pin cable in the pile of cables with these monitors.

8pinCable.jpg

Well that was a bit of an ordeal... It was over an hour to drive out to where these monitors were, and then there was a bit of a mix up. Long story short, there was only 11 monitors instead of 12 and the deal wasn't quite what was advertised. But I've got the 11 monitors in hand and they've got the accurate female plug. When I get some time, I'll start opening these things up and removing the plugs.

View attachment 779960

On an interesting bright side, there was a different model of 8 pin cable in the pile of cables with these monitors.

View attachment 779959
Sent a PM if you have a spare Female plug I'd be interested.

Are these plugs to do with the NTSC format. In the UK it is/was PAL (no idea if its changed?) but when you search for the same items here they do not have the same connectors?

View attachment 779960

View attachment 779959

nicely done sir!!

View attachment 779960

View attachment 779959

Thanks for that!!!!

View attachment 779960

View attachment 779959
Those male plugs are interesting what does the other side looking like is it the same ?
Definitely a different variant of what's been found so far !!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wow you even have the batteries, ive not see any of them come with that.
you might be able to resell these on ebay

thank you for getting those :)

jerry

View attachment 779960

View attachment 779959

I'd definitely buy one of those connectors off you. If you can't remove it, I'll buy the entire monitor.

Please LMK :D

View attachment 779960

View attachment 779959

Are these plugs to do with the NTSC format. In the UK it is/was PAL (no idea if its changed?) but when you search for the same items here they do not have the same connectors?

No, not in my personal experience.

Having worked in broadcast since 87, I can tell you for a fact that the only difference between NTSC and PAL equipment are the electronics for the frame rate of 29.97 to 25 and the voltage difference of 120 and 240.
The connectors, cables, tape, cameras are all the same.

The cable you show there is probably made by JVC.

Back in the 80's they were informally referred to as Japanese Video Crap, as their stuff wasn't as good as Sony or Ikegami equipment.

Side note: Panasonic made it difficult to use anyone else's power cable but theirs. They used a different female end (to plug into the VTR etc.) than everyone else.

Last edited:
Back in the 80's they were informally referred to as Japanese Video Crap, as their stuff wasn't as good as Sony or Ikegami equipment.

that just sad that sony was the better brand.
I spent many years in the home theater business, I will just say, knowing the lack of quality of the equipment and sound, I have never owned a piece of sony :lol

that just sad that sony was the better brand.
I spent many years in the home theater business, I will just say, knowing the lack of quality of the equipment and sound, I have never owned a piece of sony :lol

NOT to totally derail the thread:

And I've got a Sony TV from 89 that still has pretty good black levels, and the picture is still w/ i TV safe (tho I don't use it much).

Sony Betacam SP and Panasonic MII are both component systems, and use 1/2" tape. In 6 months the Beta deck will still be running w/ i specs (assuming standard cleaning) while the MII deck will be out of spec. The latter was cheaper than the former, and it was proven over time that you get what you pay for. That's why NBC stopped using MII nationwide after a few years, and Beta morphed into Digi Beta, as the format/ mechanics worked very well.
Sony broadcast monitors were more expensive, but lasted longer than Ikegai, Barco or Panasonic that we had at the station. No one uses CRT's these days.
;)

Back on topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back