Subscribe
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 2:11 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #326

Cameron said: View Post
    Occam would say this is the most likely the connector type if not the exact year/model.
    Probably!
    From
    Irvine California
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 2:14 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #327

fezfox said: View Post
    Probably!
    Or not Thats why this hobby eats up your time if you let it. This $#@$ part has been the thorn of my Macro builds for 7 years. Every other part is identified. Its like making a puzzle and realizing that a piece in the middle is missing.
  3. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 3:40 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #328

fezfox said: View Post
    Thats kind but I'm still a newb and I'm not making this prop. Post 296 as @trooper says shows it very clearly. I'd comment in addition that the central bar on Luke's prop appears to have three sections, and I also feel that the whole front of it appears to be a seamless single piece, not one of these connectors plugged into a female part that's been doctored in some complicated way.
    I don't think those 3 little holes in the tab are part of the prop. It's just some kind of pixel distortion. The little round circles are predominant across the whole photo. Look at this highlighted area and you can see them all over, even on marks face. I think its just one of those thing where they happen to line up well. If you look all over the photo you can see other areas where these pixels line up in straight lines also.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snip macro.PNG 
Views:	38 
Size:	473.1 KB 
ID:	778327
    From
    United Kingdom
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 3:57 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #329

Cameron said: View Post
    Or not Thats why this hobby eats up your time if you let it. This $#@$ part has been the thorn of my Macro builds for 7 years. Every other part is identified. Its like making a puzzle and realizing that a piece in the middle is missing.
    Not quite unless I've missed something but wasn't the side piece on the viewer hood only recently noticed, does anyone know what that is?
    From
    Irvine California
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 5:11 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #330

Marv said: View Post
    Not quite unless I've missed something but wasn't the side piece on the viewer hood only recently noticed, does anyone know what that is?
    Why ya gotta do that to me man

i think its it’s safe to say the button is identified. The rest appears to just be a triangle. I’m satisfied with that for the piece in advance of further findings.
    From
    United Kingdom
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 5:18 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #331

I actually wonder if that is misleading and that perhaps what we see is all one thing - gutting as there simply is nothing clear anywhere to even hint at a clue?
  7. Member Since
    Jul 1999
    From
    Georgia
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 5:40 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #332

Check out this "oddball" connector I found. Notice that the "push clip" is green instead of chrome... compare that to the original prop. Also, the green push clip is in between the two chrome push clip sizes we've found. I thought it was interesting. I clipped in the correct female that I have for size.

Name:	IMG_2511.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	778351

Name:	Macros Connector 5.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	778355
    From
    spokane washington
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 6:05 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #333

just curious, what time frame was that clip from ?

THX1138 said: View Post
    Check out this "oddball" connector I found. Notice that the "push clip" is green instead of chrome... compare that to the original prop. Also, the green push clip is in between the two chrome push clip sizes we've found. I thought it was interesting. I clipped in the correct female that I have for size.

Name:	IMG_2511.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	778351

Name:	Macros Connector 5.jpg 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	778355
  9. Member Since
    Jul 1999
    From
    Georgia
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 6:20 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #334

I'd say it was taken during original filming. Mark Hamill's face looks like it did before his car accident.

- Jim
    From
    spokane washington
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 6:47 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #335

sorry man, i meant the clip / connector my bad for not clarifying.
    so if this connector is from 80 or newer, then it's not it.
  11. Member Since
    Jul 1999
    From
    Georgia
    6 Days Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 11:28 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #336

trooper said: View Post
    sorry man, i meant the clip / connector my bad for not clarifying.
    so if this connector is from 80 or newer, then it's not it.
    It's from the late 1960's early 1970's.

I'm not suggesting that this particular clip is the 100% correct version. I do, however, like the look and length of the green push-clips. They are the exact same shade of green as the 8-pin plug-in part and look to be made from the same material. My picture is a little blurry, but there are some tiny ribs in the green push clips, as well.

I also see a hint of green in the original prop photo as well as what looks to be some ribbing.

- Jim
  12. Member Since
    Jul 1999
    From
    Georgia
    5 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 12:59 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #337

I have 2 of these left....

Name:	IMG_2493.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	580.3 KB 
ID:	778795
    From
    spokane washington
    3 Days Ago  Dec 8, 2017, 8:35 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #338

I have been playing with this image to bring out the details. I can see the nut on the screw on the bottom of the connector.

any one else see this ?
    I can email any one a larger image of this .....
    also you guys who believe in the rubber band version of the seagull knob, take a gander

Name:	lukeheromacros[1] v2.jpg 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	779089
  14. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 10:36 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #339

Jerry Id love a larger scan of that image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. RPF Premium Member MastahBlastah's Avatar
    From
    USA
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 10:59 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #340

I too would love a larger version, Jerry. Somebody posted this image on this thread right before all the mystery box hype, but right after I decided to use the black band version of the seagull knob on my build (I hadn't seen this image before then). It's pretty undeniable that that is the knurled metal vetsion of the Seagull knob, but I always aim to make my props as close to possible as to what can be seen on screen, and in all the visible screengrabs from ANH, it seems to be the other version (at least from what I can see). I'm sure there were either two versions of the hero macros, or that the knobs were switched out at some point. Thanks for posting this one, Jerry! I know I'm in the minority here with the black band knob ...
    From
    Nebraska
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 11:06 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #341

MastahBlastah said: View Post
    I too would love a larger version, Jerry. Somebody posted this image on this thread right before all the mystery box hype, but right after I decided to use the black band version of the seagull knob on my build (I hadn't seen this image before then). It's pretty undeniable that that is the knurled metal vetsion of the Seagull knob, but I always aim to make my props as close to possible as to what can be seen on screen, and in all the visible screengrabs from ANH, it seems to be the other version (at least from what I can see). I'm sure there were either two versions of the hero macros, or that the knobs were switched out at some point. Thanks for posting this one, Jerry! I know I'm in the minority here with the black band knob ...
    Youre not the only one because I too was able to procure the silver knob with black band. Then this photo posted and I was on the fence about which knob to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  17. RPF Premium Member
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 11:17 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #342

It looks to me like the prop department simply painted the striped knob black, I don’t see the black band version in Jerry’s pic. Is it just me?
  18. RPF Premium Member MastahBlastah's Avatar
    From
    USA
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 11:36 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #343

HB1098S said: View Post
    It looks to me like the prop department simply painted the striped knob black, I don’t see the black band version in Jerry’s pic. Is it just me?
    That's what I'm saying, it's obviously the knurled version in the photo Jerry posted above. What I'm saying though, is that from every high-res screengrab I've taken from ANH where the macros are visible, the only ones where you're able to actually see this knob in any kind of detail, it seems to me to be the black band version. Here's a screengrab I took from when you can see it best:

Name:	Despecialized-Macros 23.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	982.2 KB 
ID:	779206

Again, I'll credit scottjua with this discovery, but I believe even he has changed his seagull knob back to the knurled version after seeing the photo Jerry posted.

timw1031 said: View Post
    You’re not the only one because I too was able to procure the silver knob with black band. Then this photo posted and I was on the fence about which knob to use.
    Tim ... check the photo above and tell me what you think!
  19. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 11:41 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #344

trooper said: View Post
    I have been playing with this image to bring out the details. I can see the nut on the screw on the bottom of the connector.

any one else see this ?
    I can email any one a larger image of this .....
    also you guys who believe in the rubber band version of the seagull knob, take a gander

Name:	lukeheromacros[1] v2.jpg 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	779089
    can you email me the larger version? That's cleaner than the one I have, I might be able to get a little bit more out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I'm saying, it's obviously the knurled version in the photo Jerry posted above. What I'm saying though, is that from every high-res screengrab I've taken from ANH where the macros are visible, the only ones where you're able to actually see this knob in any kind of detail, it seems to me to be the black band version. Here's a screengrab I took from when you can see it best:

Name:	Despecialized-Macros 23.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	982.2 KB 
ID:	779206

Tim ... check the photo above and tell me what you think!
    same... I've been wondering if that since they were just glued on, if a replacement was needed and BOTH were used...??

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 11.06.36 PM.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	779207

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 10.40.28 AM.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	472.0 KB 
ID:	779208
  20. RPF Premium Member MastahBlastah's Avatar
    From
    USA
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 11:43 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #345

scottjua said: View Post
    same... I've been wondering if that since they were just glued on, if a replacement was needed and BOTH were used...??
    I'd say that given what we know about parts on sabers/blasters changing due to being tossed about/the general wear and tear of production, that this is VERY likely. Hence, why I'm leaving the black band version on my macros! Until we have better reference FROM THE FILM showing the knurled version, I'll keep it that way. There is no doubt in my mind that the knurled knob was used, though. Jerry's photo is a photo from set, and definitely not the stunts so it must be true.

I've never seen that black and white photo before, thanks Scott. Seems to be the same knob that they used in that scene, whatever it was.
    From
    spokane washington
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 2:30 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #346

I used to have that b&w, but lost it when a hard drive died.
    could you email that to me scott?
    can you email me the larger version? That's cleaner than the one I have, I might be able to get a little bit more out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

From
    spokane washington
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 2:36 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #347

if you gentlemen, or any one else I missed, can pop me an e-mail I will send you all the pic

gluejunky@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

timw1031 said: View Post
    Youre not the only one because I too was able to procure the silver knob with black band. Then this photo posted and I was on the fence about which knob to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

veektohr said: View Post
    Jerry Id love a larger scan of that image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    spokane washington
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 2:49 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #348

actually there are several people who have gone that way...it's ok
    im not 100% in my memory on this, but I remember watching a video real years ago about studio filming, they made mention that bright shiny objects were hard to do in film processing that it would be burn through??? any of you that are in the know on this please feel free to correct me. so if that is true MAYBE they were having lighting issues and needed to make a change. paint the knob, run tape over it perhaps ???? who knows

From
    Irvine California
    3 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 4:12 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #349

Its important to always keep in mind that small detail blurs into each other during movement. What you are seeing when you believe you are seeing a black band is most likely blur of the silver and black together. The smaller the detail the greater the blur and not only does the actor move, the camera moves and all it takes is a tiny bit of movement and blur occurs. You can see from looking at the rest of the shot that in these frames Mark was moving all over the place. These movies were not the hi res 4K and above that we expect today so you must account for this and other artifacts when you are considering detail.

As Trooper alluded to they did dull down shiny parts cause it throws reflections into the camera and unlike JJ they were not desired at the time.I don't believe they did that with this knob because the shine was so small. Its simply blur from movement and lo res.

Also, take a very close look at the Macro. Its not in focus because they focus pulled on Marks face, adding even more blur on the black and silver bands. The blurring of Marks face is from movement so you can see that even when you perfectly focus on something if it moves focus is all gone.
    From
    spokane washington
    2 Days Ago  Dec 9, 2017, 10:07 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #350

so has any one had any luck finding the female ends for reasonable price? I have found a component that I can get them around $50 shipped ? but that depends on your shipping costs