Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member MastahBlastah's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2014
    From
    USA
    Messages
    360
    Oct 21, 2017, 6:57 PM - Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #1

    Since I'm finally wrapping up my Greedo Killer build, I decided it's time to start the thread for my next build ...



    I've been quietly collecting parts for this build for the last six months or so, and I almost have everything I need! I just need a transition box. I have my heart set on a metal one, so I'll either wait until there is another run, or try my hand at folding one myself. I've read all of the macrobinocular build threads on here, but still any pointers for this would be most welcome! I have Trooper's resin mystery wedge, but I also ultimately want a metal wedge, with my real Eumig knob on top.

    Here are the parts I've acquired thus far:

    Kalimar Six Sixty with original Kaligar f2.8 80mm lens:
    Being the most difficult (and expensive) piece to acquire, I waited until I found a decent deal on one of these (on eBay, earlier this year) and pounced on it. In great vintage shape:



    Kalimar Viewer:
    It's in great shape, with just a small ding on the top plate. From staring at my "De-Specialized" screen-grabs, it looks like the top flap was painted black, though I don't see anybody doing this with their replicas. Am I looking at this incorrectly, or are people just hesitant to paint it due to the rarity/price of the Kalimar, or due to uncertainty if it's painted or not?



    Seagull 4A:
    Having seen Scottjua's recent discovery that the screen-used macros most likely used a different Seagull knob than the commonly accepted one, I began combing the internet for this different knob. Months of searching yielded plenty of cameras with the variant knob but they all had a black plastic housing, while the screen-grabs show what appears to be a silver knob. Eventually, I convinced myself that the prop makers just painted one of these black knobs silver, and purchased one with that intent:

    (EDIT: there are behind the scenes photos that clearly show the knurled, bandless version of the Seagull knob mounted on the macros, though I'm still nit convinced the banded version wasn't used throughout at least part of the film)



    Almost immediately after that purchase, I saw an Aluminum Knob Variant pop up for sale in Germany. This one is absolutely pristine!





    Eumig Servomatic:
    These are fairly common and cheap on eBay. It was just a matter of waiting for a good deal on one in good, worn shape:



    Bell & Howell Two Twenty:
    These are even more common/cheap. After examining screen-grabs, it seems that they used a very obscure variant of the 220 that had a grey knob center piece, instead of the commonly available red knob variety. I've been searching and have only found one grey knob, but it is unavailable (frustratingly). I'll resign to paint this one, for now ...



    Second real Kaligar f2.8 80mm & Machined Aluminum Lens Plate by DMachinist:
    The lens speaks for itself. DMachinist's lens plate is on par with the quality I've come to expect from him. It's perfectly threaded for the vintage lenses, and fits the profile of the Eumig beautifully. He has included a plastic spacer, which I'l get to later.



    Greeblie Kit by Trooper:
    The mystery box is great. I plan to do a bit of touchup and maybe some painting. The belt clip is great as well, I'll have to find some rivets for it. Any recommendations? I'm thinking about using WannaWanga's saber rivets, as I used them on my ANH Graflex build. I plan on eventually making my own mystery wedge, using my real Eumig knob. I'll most likely use these resin lens knobs. They are nice, detailed casts. Neither of my lenses came with them, unfortunately:



    This will likely be a slow build, but I'm lookin forward to getting started. Hoping to do an EL sheet in the lens hood eventually, as well. So much great reference here on the RPF, thanks to all that have documented their builds! Now ... to paint the lenses or not?
    Last edited by MastahBlastah; 1 Day Ago at 12:42 AM.
  2. Member Since
    May 2010
    From
    clyde,north carolina usa
    Messages
    80
    Oct 21, 2017, 8:09 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #2

    MastahBlastah said: View Post
    Since I'm finally wrapping up my Greedo Killer build, I decided it's time to start the thread for my next build ...

    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4508/...fa427849_o.jpg

    I've been quietly collecting parts for this build for the last six months or so, and I almost have everything I need! I just need a transition box. I have my heart set on a metal one, so I'll either wait until there is another run, or try my hand at folding one myself. I've read all of the macrobinocular build threads on here, but still any pointers for this would be most welcome! I have Trooper's resin mystery wedge, but I also ultimately want a metal wedge, with my real Eumig knob on top.

    Here are the parts I've acquired thus far:

    Kalimar Six Sixty with original Kaligar f2.8 80mm lens:
    Being the most difficult (and expensive) piece to acquire, I waited until I found a decent deal on one of these (on eBay, earlier this year) and pounced on it. In great vintage shape:

    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4484/...f40fc374_o.jpg

    Here's a shot of the lens hood detached. It's also in great shape, with just a small ding on the top plate. From staring at my "De-Specialized" screen-grabs, it looks like the top flap was painted black, though I don't see anybody doing this with their replicas. Am I looking at this incorrectly, or are people just hesitant to paint it due to the rarity/price of the Kalimar, or due to uncertainty if it's painted or not?

    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4482/...a25b39c1_o.jpg

    Seagull 4A:
    Having seen Scottjua's recent discovery that the screen-used macros most likely used a different Seagull knob than the commonly accepted one, I began combing the internet for this different knob. Months of searching yielded plenty of cameras with the variant knob but they were all had a black plastic housing, while the screen-grabs show what appears to be a silver knob. Eventually, I convinced myself that the prop makers just painted one of these black knobs silver, and purchased one with that intent:

    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4505/...f233f46d_o.jpg

    Almost immediately after that purchase, I saw an aluminum knob variant pop up for sale in Germany. I struggled with it for a while, but decided it was worth the trouble to level up to the accurate knob. This one is absolutely pristine ... it will be a shame to hack it up!

    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4479/...c53dfcb5_o.jpg

    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4469/...197952f0_o.jpg

    Eumig Servomatic. These are fairly common and cheap on eBay. It was just a matter of waiting for a good deal on one in good, worn shape:

    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4466/...5e775128_o.jpg

    Bell & Howell Two Twenty:
    These are even more common/cheap. After examining screen-grabs, it seems that they used a very obscure variant of the 220 that had a grey knob center piece, instead of the commonly available red knob variety. I've been searching and have only found one grey knob, but it is unavailable (frustratingly). I'll resign to paint this one, for now ...

    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4490/...11c9378f_o.jpg

    Second real Kaligar f2.8 80mm & Threaded, machined aluminum lens plate by DMachinist:
    The lens speaks for itself. DMachinist's lens plate is on par with the quality I've come to expect from him. It's perfectly threaded for the vintage lenses, and fits the profile of the Eumig beautifully. He has included a plastic spacer, which I'l get to later.

    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4445/...e5238918_o.jpg

    Greeblie Kit by Trooper:
    The mystery box is great. I plan to do a bit of touchup and maybe painting. the belt clip is great as well, I'll have to find some rivets for it. Any recommendations? I'm thinking about using WannaWanga's saber rivets, as I used them on my ANH Graflex build. I plan on eventually making my own mystery wedge, using my real Eumig knob. I'll most likely use these resin lens knobs. they are nice, detailed casts. Neither of my lenses came with them, unfortunately:

    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4467/...56f28028_o.jpg

    This will likely be a slow build, but I'm lookin forward to getting started. Hoping to do an EL sheet in the lens hood eventually, as well. So much great reference here on the RPF, thanks to all that have documented their builds! Now ... to paint the lenses or not?
    Nice start, can't wait to see it finished

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  3. RPF Premium Member Red Hawk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2017
    From
    New York
    Messages
    24
    Oct 21, 2017, 8:27 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #3

    Awesome treasure hunting, @MastahBlastah! Seeing all your pieces together gives me some faith that I’ll find my missing Kalimars some day. Agreed on all the great resources here for other stellar builds, the one @scottjua did is a thing of beauty.
  4. timw1031's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2017
    From
    Nebraska
    Messages
    18
    Oct 21, 2017, 11:03 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #4

    Fantastic job on collecting all the parts! I can’t wait to see it all come together.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  5. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Messages
    341
    Oct 22, 2017, 2:52 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #5

    Nice collection of parts, they’re getting harder and harder to locate w/o spending a grip of money!

    MastahBlastah said: View Post
    Since I'm finally wrapping up my Greedo Killer build, I decided it's time to start the thread for my next build ...

    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4508/...fa427849_o.jpg

    I've been quietly collecting parts for this build for the last six months or so, and I almost have everything I need! I just need a transition box. I have my heart set on a metal one, so I'll either wait until there is another run, or try my hand at folding one myself. I've read all of the macrobinocular build threads on here, but still any pointers for this would be most welcome! I have Trooper's resin mystery wedge, but I also ultimately want a metal wedge, with my real Eumig knob on top -

    If you like the one pictured in my build, I was just making a few of these up today at the shop. If you’d like one, PM me!

    Kalimar Lens Hood:
    It's in great shape, with just a small ding on the top plate. From staring at my "De-Specialized" screen-grabs, it looks like the top flap was painted black, though I don't see anybody doing this with their replicas. Am I looking at this incorrectly, or are people just hesitant to paint it due to the rarity/price of the Kalimar, or due to uncertainty if it's painted or not?

    Screen used prop appeared to have a black painted view finder flap

    Machined Aluminum Lens Plate by DMachinist:
    The lens speaks for itself. DMachinist's lens plate is on par with the quality I've come to expect from him. It's perfectly threaded for the vintage lenses, and fits the profile of the Eumig beautifully. He has included a plastic spacer.
    I had this part commissioned for my build, great piece! Make a metal spacer too. As far as rivets for the belt clip, I'd recommend screws if you ever want to access the interior of the Eumig, see my build for details. Again, great hunting and I look forward to your build!
    Last edited by HB1098S; Oct 22, 2017 at 3:28 AM.
  6. Member Since
    May 2010
    From
    clyde,north carolina usa
    Messages
    80
    Oct 25, 2017, 3:03 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #6

    HB1098S said: View Post
    Nice collection of parts, they’re getting harder and harder to locate w/o spending a grip of money!



    I had this part commissioned for my build, great piece! Make a metal spacer too. As far as rivets for the belt clip, I'd recommend screws if you ever want to access the interior of the Eumig, see my build for details. Again, great hunting and I look forward to your build!
    How are you coming along with the build?

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  7. timw1031's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2017
    From
    Nebraska
    Messages
    18
    Nov 7, 2017, 11:43 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #7

    Do you know if trooper still makes the Greeblie Kit?
  8. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2001
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Messages
    2,133
    Nov 7, 2017, 11:59 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #8

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lukeheromacros.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	771929

    I think that this pic shows that Scott was mistaken about the Seagull knob
  9. RPF Premium Member Cameron's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Irvine California
    Messages
    1,267
    Nov 8, 2017, 12:00 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #9

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SGKNOB1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	387.9 KB 
ID:	771930In my opinion thats the pic that confirms this seagull knob. Here is a pic of an original and one of my cold cast copies. The shadow on that pic above hides the lower part of the knob but the lines are the same spacing and the knob is the correct hight. Also notice how the black on the side of the knob creeps into the rounded upper edge as it is on this Seagull knob.

    Name:  M08 copy.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  9.1 KB Here is a close up showing how the internals were painted grey. It also shows the indented lower area is present.
    Last edited by Cameron; Nov 8, 2017 at 12:18 AM.
  10. timw1031's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2017
    From
    Nebraska
    Messages
    18
    Nov 8, 2017, 12:12 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #10

    Nice. I didn't see that closeup before. It's always appears black to me from a distance. I agree that pic clears up any confusion.
  11. timw1031's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2017
    From
    Nebraska
    Messages
    18
    Nov 8, 2017, 1:11 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #11

    Good catch! That makes sense.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  12. Member Since
    May 2010
    From
    clyde,north carolina usa
    Messages
    80
    Nov 8, 2017, 2:38 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #12

    Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lukeheromacros.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	771929

    I think that this pic shows that Scott was mistaken about the Seagull knob
    Is there a real working Luke binoculars?

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  13. RPF Premium Member Cameron's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Irvine California
    Messages
    1,267
    Nov 8, 2017, 3:48 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #13

    kwh said: View Post
    Is there a real working Luke binoculars?

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

    Sort of. I've made a few sets with working video cameras built in.
  14. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Messages
    2,424
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 9, 2017, 10:48 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #14

    Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lukeheromacros.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	771929

    I think that this pic shows that Scott was mistaken about the Seagull knob
    I could have sworn I posted that somewhere saying that I found that pic AFTER thinking I had found the other knob to be correct. So my own prop reverted back to this one. Still though, the sand people scene that knob looks awfully different and I think they may have used both, unless there were TWO of them. I wish we had better clear pics of this thing. The sand people scene knob certainly looks like a black band vs. the knurled metal of the other. Even at that resolution those wide spaced knurls should be evident.

    Alas, for now we can only get close... until images surface.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Cameron said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SGKNOB1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	387.9 KB 
ID:	771930In my opinion thats the pic that confirms this seagull knob. Here is a pic of an original and one of my cold cast copies. The shadow on that pic above hides the lower part of the knob but the lines are the same spacing and the knob is the correct hight. Also notice how the black on the side of the knob creeps into the rounded upper edge as it is on this Seagull knob.

    Name:  M08 copy.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  9.1 KB Here is a close up showing how the internals were painted grey. It also shows the indented lower area is present.
    Check how I did the insides with grey T bar. I just flipped the number plate from the seagull over the T bar to get that same look.

  15. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Messages
    2,424
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 9, 2017, 10:56 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #15

    This its much higher res and a little easier to see Attachment 772215
  16. RPF Premium Member scottjua's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    Messages
    2,424
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 9, 2017, 11:02 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #16

    This is the best I can see

    Attachment 772216
  17. timw1031's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2017
    From
    Nebraska
    Messages
    18
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 9, 2017, 11:22 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #17

    scottjua said: View Post
    I could have sworn I posted that somewhere saying that I found that pic AFTER thinking I had found the other knob to be correct. So my own prop reverted back to this one. Still though, the sand people scene that knob looks awfully different and I think they may have used both, unless there were TWO of them. I wish we had better clear pics of this thing. The sand people scene knob certainly looks like a black band vs. the knurled metal of the other. Even at that resolution those wide spaced knurls should be evident.

    Alas, for now we can only get close... until images surface.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Check how I did the insides with grey T bar. I just flipped the number plate from the seagull over the T bar to get that same look.

    http://www.scottandtemphotography.co...310-105004.jpg
    I really like that version too. Thank you for sharing the pics. I agree that they probably had more than one prop. You have to just find the version you like and go with it. Or build one of each.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  18. RPF Premium Member Cameron's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Irvine California
    Messages
    1,267
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 10, 2017, 1:00 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #18

    scottjua said: View Post
    I could have sworn I posted that somewhere saying that I found that pic AFTER thinking I had found the other knob to be correct. So my own prop reverted back to this one. Still though, the sand people scene that knob looks awfully different and I think they may have used both, unless there were TWO of them. I wish we had better clear pics of this thing. The sand people scene knob certainly looks like a black band vs. the knurled metal of the other. Even at that resolution those wide spaced knurls should be evident.

    Alas, for now we can only get close... until images surface.

    - - - Updated - - -




    Check how I did the insides with grey T bar. I just flipped the number plate from the seagull over the T bar to get that same look.

    http://www.scottandtemphotography.co...310-105004.jpg
    No more mistakes. Let that be your one and only sir!!!!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Considering that that they probably glued that knob on and they were filming Luke falling all over the place in that sceen while holding the macros Im sure parts fell off and were replaced on the regular.
  19. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Jun 2017
    Messages
    59
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 10, 2017, 10:31 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #19

    Scott, recently roger told me that there was only one hero Marcos made for the movie if that helps at all.
  20. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Messages
    11
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 9:15 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #20

    I have read many threads on Macrobinocular builds. I have seen many very amazing builds, very detailed, over the last 40 years. I want to build my own. Is it true no one has every been able to identify the actual part is that is placed on the opposite side of the macros from the Seagull knob? (some call the mystery box)
  21. RPF Premium Member Marv's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    United Kingdom
    Messages
    935
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 2:08 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #21

    As I understand it that's correct. The greebles people put on the side are their interpretation of what they think it looks like.
    I believe that is true of the cheese wedge piece too.
    In Christian's book he says the Macro's had a light so when Luke uses them it appears as though he is looking into a screen. It could easily have been some type of switch they rigged up to create that effect.
  22. Member Since
    May 2010
    From
    clyde,north carolina usa
    Messages
    80
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 2:11 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #22

    scottjua said: View Post
    I could have sworn I posted that somewhere saying that I found that pic AFTER thinking I had found the other knob to be correct. So my own prop reverted back to this one. Still though, the sand people scene that knob looks awfully different and I think they may have used both, unless there were TWO of them. I wish we had better clear pics of this thing. The sand people scene knob certainly looks like a black band vs. the knurled metal of the other. Even at that resolution those wide spaced knurls should be evident.

    Alas, for now we can only get close... until images surface.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Check how I did the insides with grey T bar. I just flipped the number plate from the seagull over the T bar to get that same look.

    http://www.scottandtemphotography.co...310-105004.jpg
    Awesome

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  23. Member Since
    May 2010
    From
    clyde,north carolina usa
    Messages
    80
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 2:12 AM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #23

    kwh said: View Post
    Awesome

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Is it operational ?

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  24. RPF Premium Member mgoob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2000
    From
    Rochester, N.Y.
    Messages
    767
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 1:12 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #24

    Instead of EL sheet I plan on building a small box of white styrene, placing it behind the "screen" and using a single white LED, set back as far as possible.

    I also plan on putting a red LED off to the side of the front of the screen, to produce the effect seen while Luke is using it at night.

    Name:  Macro at night.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  26.7 KB

    - - - Updated - - -

    scottjua said: View Post
    This is the best I can see

    Attachment 772216
    Your photos have disappeared...
  25. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2000
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Messages
    5,041
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 17, 2017, 4:15 PM - Re: Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero) #25

    mgoob said: View Post
    Instead of EL sheet I plan on building a small box of white styrene, placing it behind the "screen" and using a single white LED, set back as far as possible.

    I also plan on putting a red LED off to the side of the front of the screen, to produce the effect seen while Luke is using it at night.

    Name:  Macro at night.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  26.7 KB

    - - - Updated - - -



    Your photos have disappeared...
    the red light is not from the macros, but the moisture evaporator in the background

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: Jul 21, 2017, 10:05 AM
  2. Kalimar Knob Disassembly - Luke's ANH Macrobinoculars
    Dewback_Rider, DC Costumes and Props
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar 26, 2012, 11:54 PM

Tags