Magnum PI reboot

When I heard about this I was hoping we wouldn't see another beloved part of our past ruined, and I had high hopes because Cobra Kai was so great.........but........I threw up a little in my mouth while watching this. Tom Selleck is rolling in his grave and he isn't even dead yet!

I just saw a preview for it. And I was okay with it's generic action motif.

Then I got to the end of the commercial and it lost me completely. An armoured vehicle smashes into the side of magnum's Ferrari, pushing it towards a cliff, and Magnum shots at the driver, gets out of his car, jumps onto the other vehicle (as they're both hurtling towards the clift, running up and over the now falling vehicles, and LEAPING up to TC's swooping in Heli, where Magnum catches the landing strut and he is carried to safety.

Ho-ly crrrrrap. I am so sick of such tired clichéd last second, pulling the goalie, stunts like that. Ugh.

Looked okay otherwise! LOL.

I just finished watching the premier. It wasn't bad. But it wasn't good either. People who watched the original when it was new, like me, will probably not like it. People who saw the occasional rerun of the original might like it. My biggest problem is making Higgins a young, kick-ass, disgraced former agent.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

My biggest problem is making Higgins a young, kick-ass, disgraced former agent.

To be fair, it would be very hard to find someone who could come anywhere near John Hillerman. That most probably isn't why they they did it that way. But then, CBS did ask Tom Selleck for permission to remake the show.

I have no interest in the show. The one I wanted to see, was the version with Magnums Daughter taking over the business, but they decided against that one.

David.

The premiere episode hasn't aired here on the west coast of the U.S. yet, so I'm glad I read this thread so I could set the DVR to record it before it did. Or is this going to be another show like Star Trek: Discovery where they air the first episode on their broadcast network and you have to pay for CBS All Abscess to see the rest? If that's the case, I probably won't even bother to watch it.

I loved it...and this is coming from someone who hated the very idea of a reboot! It had enough of the original in it for me to relate. Now, the guy who plays Magnum, I'm not a huge fan, HOWEVER, during his narratives, he had the same cadence and "worn out" demeanor that Tom Selleck had in the original series. Plus, they kept the same color scheme of the helicopter that the original series had. I don't mind that Higgins is a woman.
All in all, as a huge fan that I am, and thought I would hate it, I was pleasantly surprised!

I loved it...and this is coming from someone who hated the very idea of a reboot! It had enough of the original in it for me to relate. Now, the guy who plays Magnum, I'm not a huge fan, HOWEVER, during his narratives, he had the same cadence and "worn out" demeanor that Tom Selleck had in the original series. Plus, they kept the same color scheme of the helicopter that the original series had. I don't mind that Higgins is a woman.
All in all, as a huge fan that I am, and thought I would hate it, I was pleasantly surprised!

If you liked it I may have to at least watch a couple of episodes. I saw a promo that made it look like the original 80's Ferrari was destroyed and then he got a new one. Did this really happen or was I just seeing things?

I don't mind Higgins being a woman, just her back story. This means no stories about her adventures unless the new Higgins starts telling stories that should probably be classified and just thinking about them should get her arrested on the Official Secrets Act. And more importantly the whole "Is Higgins really Robin Masters?" thing is out the window. I'm also not sure about new Rick. But I plan on giving it a couple more episodes like I did with Hawaii Five O.

Does the opening credits have him holding a woman in a bikini face down in the water and he stares at her behind and grins at the camera?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back