Thor: Ragnarok shield build thread

jess the pirate

Hey! So this is my first big build since joining the RPF, so i thought i'd share it with you :)

i got commissioned to make a full Thor : Ragnarok costume at the start of october, to be ready for Halloween. Its been a busy few weeks!! Most of the build is scratch built but i realised i was going to have to make the shield out of something a bit more durable so i set about making a buck to mould. I started with a sheet of XPS insulation foam and cut and carved it down to the basic shape of the main body of the shield, and added a block at the top to carve out the detail on the top section. I then cut out the centre ring as this area is stepped down and also way too detailed to carve out of XPS. I made the lower section out of layered MDF.

The chanels on the ring were then marked on and carved out, as were the step downs on the top section

. IMG-20171014-WA0011.jpeg20171012_221929.jpg

Then came the sanding...so much sanding!! Started out with a layer of cassini's plaster to fill in any big divots in the foam and give me a solid surface to sand to. Then it was emulsion, then filler and sand, moved onto different colours of acrylic then filler and sand down so i could see my layers and make sure any imperfections were fixed. Took me 4 solid days of sanding but its F - ing smooth now!!

Before i started on my sanding mission i sorted out the inner circle. Its made from various thicknesses of EVA foam floor mats, cut to shape and layered. This was so fiddly, glad i have a whetstone otherwise i would have gone through sooooooo many knives! After a couple of layers of paint to stiffen it up it was then dropped into the centre that i cut out earlier and glued in place. I then fillered the gap, sanded and painted etc until it was as smooth as the rest.

20171016_134123.jpg20171016_134109.jpg20171016_232146.jpgIMG-20171017-WA0010.jpg
SO SHINY!!!

And so onto moulding!! I decided to mould this in two parts (i dont have room for a 4 ft mould in my tiny house!!) the top ring and the bottom panel. Got the top in silicone last night, and just waiting for more silicone to arrive so i can mould the bottom section. I've really enjoyed this project so far, lost my job a month ago so its been nice to proper sink my teeth into a piece and get it perfect. More pictures to come when I take my first casting!!

20171017_213602.jpg

So got my first casting out of the mould last night, fillite and resin backed with matting. Came out pretty damn good if i do say so myself!! Need to buff the sides down a bit but other than that its pretty much ready to paint. Still waiting for more silicone to turn up but will keep you posted when i start moulding the bottom half :)

20171023_004404[1].jpg20171023_004433[1].jpg20171023_004417[1].jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back