Bandai Perfect Grade Falcon build log/notes

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Bandai Perfect Grade ANH Millennium Falcon[/h]
The model you have been waiting forty years for.

Confirmation from Bandai directly, for those who want to build the Five Footer and use this as a guide: the ratio to the studio scale model is 1/3.6!

Model courtesy of Lucasfilm, for review purposes.

So let's dig in with a couple of comparisons to the donor parts that were used on the original filming miniature. Here is the Bandai representation of a donor part, scaled down of course.
1.jpg

And here is the donor part. As you can see, Bandai has faithfully represented every nook and cranny of the piece. No idealization going on!
2.jpg

Here is the Bandai representation of a donor part, scaled down of course.
3.jpg

And here is the donor part. As you can see, Bandai has faithfully represented every nook and cranny of the piece. No idealization going on!
4.jpg

The Movin' On truck rail is also perfectly present, scaled down.
5.jpg

All holes are there - no extra modification will be necessary by the builder.
6.jpg

Even the wonky rivets are recreated!!
7.jpg

More:
9.jpg

8.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A couple more...

11.jpg10.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The model is a marvel of engineering. You technically don't even need glue - everything is friction fit!
1.jpg

The mandible access pits are a sub assembly that will seat snugly and flushly inside the mandible halves.
2.jpg
3.jpg

A quick comparison.
4.jpg

Side walls tab in place, in varying shapes, making misalignment impossible.
5.jpg

Like so!
6.jpg

Piping is so finely reproduced, the sprues are sequested in their own separate box, which is a nice touch. For peace of mind, I glued everything together.
7.jpg

Every part is correct.
9.jpg
8.jpg

Even the tiniest of angles are ported over on these pipes!!
10.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

So this model honestly will appeal to the jaded crusty old modeler and the novice alike. Being a scratch builder and garage kit "figurer outer", the idea of instructions to follow is frankly a novel idea. I have been out of the "follow along in your book" game for a LONG time, and I must say, this is pretty damn amazing. Bandai has made this FOOL PROOF and I do not say this lightly, again. It sure seems like I am blowing smoke here, but honestly, I am not - click on to see what I mean. Here we have a handy "here's the mandible you will be building" graphic.

11.jpg

CHECK! at the beginning of every sub-assembly, you get a handy dandy "here's what the finished thing will look like" graphic to acquaint yourself with the general shapes and orientations of parts.
12.jpg

Everything is well plotted in sequence.
13.jpg

Sprues are labeled with letters, parts themselves are numbers. Standard stuff, but really concise and easy to read here.
14.jpg

The part itself.
15.jpg

Let us all take a moment to appreciate the undercuts that Bandai have pulled off here. Seriously.
18.jpg

LOOK AT THE UNDERCUTS YOU GUYS.
17.jpg

I can't handle it.
16.jpg

Here's another moment of loveliness - the "hey man, don't cut this off, thinking it's part of the sprue gate/nubbin"
19.jpg

See? that super tiny detail is part of the model and NOT the sprue.
20.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And don't sweat putting a part on upside down, or crooked - everything is locked into proper orientation with non circular pegs or a series of pegs/slots/tabs that only allow the part to be affixed correctly. And you don't even need to GLUE them down - it's all friction fit.
21.jpg

Here's the part that goes into that half circle hole in the previous pic.
22.jpg

I used glue.
23.jpg

OH MAN, another one of those examples I can show you that CLEARLY shows the exactingness. See the two squares and wire bundles on the far right of the large donor part? It was cut off on the real model, but a smidge of the left-most square remained... and BANDAI COPIED THAT in perfect 1/3.6th scale.
24.jpg

Some more general beauty macro shots :
32.jpg
31.jpg
33.jpg
30.jpg
28.jpg
26.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Since 1978, I'm sure I've built or started to build at least a dozen Falcons. I've finished two. Only one -- my heavily modified 1/72 FM -- is the only one I consider a good, reasonably accurate Falcon because I spend hours and hours correcting the hull curvature, mandibles, etc. As tempting as it would be to say, "Well, sure, ten of those Falcons were crap but at least I enjoyed myself building them," the truth is... I didn't. Those ten Falcons were nothing but the definitions of frustration and defeat. Since I was a kid all I wanted was a screen accurate Falcon. The Falcon from the MPC box. Not the hockey puck kit inside. Sometimes, the research is fun. Sometimes, figuring out ways to make a kit more accurate is the best part of building a model. But I got past that point with the Falcon, oh, about 35 years ago! I cannot wait for mine to arrive!

In looking at your pics, Moffeaton, I suspect the majority of my 'non-basic assembly' time on this kit will be to maybe lightly scribe undercuts on some of the pieces to give them just a bit sharper definition -- so they look like donor pieces glued on rather than molded on. That Sealab piece, for example, could use just a light undercut at the join line. Or maybe that's taking it too far. I don't know. I want crispness, people!

In looking at your pics, Moffeaton, I suspect the majority of my 'non-basic assembly' time on this kit will be to maybe lightly scribe undercuts on some of the pieces to give them just a bit sharper definition -- so they look like donor pieces glued on rather than molded on. That Sealab piece, for example, could use just a light undercut at the join line. Or maybe that's taking it too far. I don't know. I want crispness, people!

That actually seems like a great idea to me. You’ve got me thinking I might unashamedly steal your idea when mine arrives in December.

Superb thread by the way moffeaton!

good stuff. this is Boss. worth the 1/3rd grand to a die-hard star wars modeller.

i'll be buying one in a few years...i'm pretty sure they're not going to destroy the molds and discontinue

Last edited:
Great insight Jason.....it is incredible seeing the level of detail & accuracy Bandai have created for this model

J

Thanks for the review, Jason. I was on the fence about this kit (still have a FM kit in the box), but you sold it for me.

Sean

I suspect the majority of my 'non-basic assembly' time on this kit will be to maybe lightly scribe undercuts on some of the pieces to give them just a bit sharper definition -- so they look like donor pieces glued on rather than molded on.

Yes - I've been doing that on my 1:144 Falcon, and I'll definitely be doing it on my 1:72 Falcon. Got to get a few more #16 blades!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back