How many versions of Deckard's pistol can I justify owning?

userd1402

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been building movie gun replicas for some years now and recently my wife asked me why I keep building the same replica over and over again. The replica in question being Rick Deckard's Steyr pistol from Blade Runner. I explained to her the differences between the four versions of the gun in my display and when I was finished she said "yes, but they're all the same gun". This got me thinking; IF I was a 'completist' (and I am not) how many versions of the Deckard pistol could I actually make?

Here's all the variants of the pistol I can think of, including minor character versions;

- Deckard hero; as delivered to the production by the gunsmith/armourer in 1981
- Deckard hero; screen-accurate weathered (condition at end of filming)
- Deckard hero; as found at World-Con by Karl Tate in 2006
- Deckard hero; as restored for the Profiles-in-History auction in 2009
- Deckard hero; as currently owned by Dan Lannigan (probably the same as the PiH version above)
- Deckard stunt; painted resin cast (smacked from Deckard's hand by Leon)
- Deckard stunt; black rubber cast with amber resin grips (kicked from Deckard's hand by Pris in JF's apartment)
- Holden stunt; painted resin cast
- LAPD patrolman stunt; all black resin cast (background holster fillers)
- Deckard hero; brand-new, as issued (an 'in-universe' version)

So, are there really 10 distinct versions? Maybe there are more distinct 'looks' I haven't thought of?

Last edited:
This is an interesting question. For me, I’m only really interested in screen accuracy. It’s what I enjoy trying to replicate. The other versions post the film don’t really interest me. I finally got a Tomenosuke this year which has quenched the thirst for me. I bought it as a kit so I’ve built it myself; giving me a lot of satisfaction throughout the build. I’ve made it ‘as issued’ so as clean as can be. Whilst I know this seems to contradict my earlier statement, I feel that in the film you can’t really see any of the weathering accurately for the most part and so I wanted to make the gun as issued and then when it gets damaged over time through handling it will naturally weather as Deckard’s would have done through use.

I know Asavage shares my view partly here as he too mentioned he’s not particularly careful with his main hero Blaster, it getting more beat up when moving it around, putting it on surfaces.

On the other hand he has many versions which represent years of study and making attempts; something I never did.

The only other blaster I’d want is a true replica built from a Steyr mannlicher and a bulldog. But I lack the tooling, knowledge and time to accomplish that.

So to summarise for me, the Tomen satisfies my need for the prop. For you, the answer is do what you love doing. If you’re not happy not having all versions, then get them all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To me the replica is only the replica of it as it was during filming. IMO it is a tad nuts to recreate a prop through various owners after production. Any wear it has at that point is not screen accurate any longer. I've seen people on here weather a SW prop's 40 year old shelf wear that was not on the original prop when it was filmed. I don't get it. But it's your collection and money so knock yourself out. :)

I see this in a lot of hobbies and some people seem to take an issue with it for whatever reason, the usual response being... "but why do you need more than one?" I make music and play a few instruments and I see this with guitars, with people owning 5 or 10 versions of the same model but maybe in a different color or because one just "feels different." I'm into records, and i've seen peoples' collections where they've got a dozen copies of the same release, but maybe from different years or regions even though they all seem "identical" at a glance. With photography, it's glass. ("how many 35mm lenses do you need!?")

Sometimes people want a thing so bad, when they finally get it, the question becomes "What now? Maybe i'll try to get X version now, or this one..." and so forth. Some people might look at it as having a "set" or simply enjoy collecting them for their minor differences, which to them probably doesn't seem so minor. I don't think there's any general rule to it.

I see this in a lot of hobbies and some people seem to take an issue with it..

I hear you. As I said I'm NOT a 'completist', although I must admit to currently owning four variations of the same gun, and I really just wanted to start a discussion about how many variations there could be for the same prop. I guess the truth is that there are as many variations as there are replica builders because we all add something a little personal to it, even if it's just the way we display the piece after taking it out of the box.

I sat down and drew up the list of variations-in-appearance of the original prop over a lunch break but really I was hoping someone might chime in and say they had built their Deckard pistol based on a 'point-in-time' or 'look' I hadn't thought of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention all the “custom” options!

8a8f633f60db76b023a0a96d19f539bb.jpg

Next up for me will be a steampunk version.

Will it ever end?! Probably not. Much to my wife’s utter confusion. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an addiction, I have to admit. Since it's one of the most iconic weapons in film history, I think it's more than fair to want a few different variations. Some of the expanded universe versions are just fun to set off your collection.

Here are the versions I own. I have no regrets, haha.

1. OG Tomenosuke (blued receiver version)
2. Tomenosuke - customized with a world con finish
3. Tomenosuke - customized to resemble production used version
4. Tomenouske - Rubber, all black police / stunt version
4. Simple resin cast version (holster stuffer)
5. Takagi water pistol - customized to resemble production used version
6. Offworld Blaster - customized with a world con finish
7. Rick Ross Enforcer snub kit (tan)
8. Coyle Blaster

It's an addiction, I have to admit.

Likewise. The irony being I was born in ‘74 so too young to appreciate the movie when it came out. By the time I watched it, I just thought it was weird and slow! (Fighting words I know).

But man do I love that gun! Ha ha.

It's an addiction, I have to admit. Since it's one of the most iconic weapons in film history, I think it's more than fair to want a few different variations. Some of the expanded universe versions are just fun to set off your collection.

Here are the versions I own. I have no regrets, haha.

1. OG Tomenosuke (blued receiver version)
2. Tomenosuke - customized with a world con finish
3. Tomenosuke - customized to resemble production used version
4. Tomenouske - Rubber, all black police / stunt version
4. Simple resin cast version (holster stuffer)
5. Takagi water pistol - customized to resemble production used version
6. Offworld Blaster - customized with a world con finish
7. Rick Ross Enforcer snub kit (tan)
8. Coyle Blaster

Ha ha, you used the number 4 twice, so you’re actually more addicted than you thought! [emoji1360][emoji1363][emoji23]

Oh man, yeah it’s 9.

Still in single digits, at least until the chroicle concept blaster shows up, haha

Oh man, yeah it’s 9.

Still in single digits, at least until the chroicle concept blaster shows up, haha

Well you sure can’t stop at 9, that’s just such an uneven number! You need one more just to make it 10. [emoji12][emoji23]

This is a PKD noob question, but on screen there is then only Deckard's, Holden's, and the all black holster fillers, as far as character options go, right?

I don't believe I have ever seen any pictures of Holden's pistol.

Here's a screen-capture from the film which shows the moment Holden pulls his gun as he's blown through the office partition by Leon. The light, from in front of the camera, reflects off the sight-rod and the top of the receiver. You can clearly see a casting line down the centre of the receiver but at no point can any colour be seen on or around Holden's hand so the grips were almost certainly NOT transparent amber like the hero pistol wielded by Harrison Ford. This would have been a rubber stunt cast for the actor's safety on set.

Blade-Runner-Screencap-01.jpg

Blade-Runner-Screencap-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 40 quid hard rubber who knows what gen cast blaster that I painted / weathered in about two hours..that's it ! ! I don't think about it any longer cos that's good enough for me ..I know some guys go all out but how do you stop ? What gets me despite all the detail are things like if B R is in 2019 and references our music ( one more kiss ) and Frank Sinatra in BR 2049 then how did they develop all the space flight off world stuff in only a few decades ? I know it's not our time line / universe but I would not have referenced our cultural history , therefore keeping the illusion clean..I did see that Adam Savage has a BR blimp..but he's weathered it and as a final garnish added bird crap..but in BR Animals are massively expensive and I don't think replicant birds would be flying about unowned..I think too much detail is mind numbing, but if ya' can hack it , LUCK TO YA' ! !

I think im going to settle for just the one... The one im kinda started to model in f360 and then print out for pewter casting...

As was mentioned above, there are the various Rick Ross interpretations. (MY personal favorites) Do artistic interpretations count? There are also the early attempts to get the gun "right" before the WorldCon photos. The Richard Coyle versions BEFORE the WorldCon pics. Also, the really, really early attempts from MARCO ENTERPRISES and a few others.

For me, I have a few Tomenosuki's and am happy with them. I've owned a few Coyle's over the years. And I will always keep my original issue Rick Ross. It's oversized but a brilliant interpretation of the original, not an attempt to nail the details. I think it is a work of art.

To each their own. And a great question. My wife has also asked me numerous times over the years, "Don't you already have one (or more) of those?"

Cheers,

Ted.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back