Star Lord and baby Groot for my lads (and *maybe* Yondu for myself If time)

daz

These guys are 9 and 4. This will be a combination of hand built, 3D modeled and printed and store bought (spending way too much $) with Groot being much more 'from scratch' than Star Lord.

I'd started this a couple of months back so have gradually been building all the 3D assets I thought I'd need:

Sony Walkman TPS-L2. I spent a long time on this model for accuracy, and the hinged door works finally!:

3.JPG

Yondu fin:

yondu_fin.jpg

Yondu arrow:

arrow.jpg

Ravager logo:

ravager_badge.JPG

baby Groot head:

groot_zb.jpg

I started on Star Lord first. The holsters are thin craft foam with a bracket I modeled and printed for the weapons (which I did NOT model myself, found these on mymini factory, must remember to tip the guy something). The lower leg parts are foam too:

IMG_8597.JPG IMG_8599.JPG leg.JPG

The walkman I have printed, need to sand and paint etc:

wm_print1.JPG wm_print2.JPG

One part of 3 of the Yondu arrow printed with the mini glow sticks inserted:

arrow_print.JPG

And right now I'm putting everything else aside to make major baby Groot progress. Btw, doing a duct tape dummy on a 4 yr old is NOT fun for anyone involved. My base materials:

kid_duct_tape.jpg materials.JPG

And here's where I am at the moment. It looks like the route I'm taking with the foam pieces is to paint them in latex prior to painting. I did a test with plasti-dip and it just felt like it would be super hard to get good coverage:

IMG_8578.JPG groot_wip_1.JPG groot_mask_prints.jpg

I think I need more tubular forms on the legs rather than the platelets, so I'll probably make that change and then get the heck on with it If I have any hope of finishing in time for Halloween. Wish me luck! :)

Groot progress. The body colour is looking too yellow atm, will have to revisit that:

groot_wip2.JPG

groot_wip3.JPG

groot_wip4.JPG

and its all hands on deck now. Had to get my wife to paint the Star Lord guns and she actually really enjoyed it:

starlord_guns.JPG

Dang that's an amazing replica, I'm sure you could convince just about anyone that that is the real thing. I would definitely be interested in that file if you decide to share it

Ravager badge

ravager_badge.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Yondu arrow with the glow sticks inserted. They're brighter than I expected!

yondu_arrow_glow.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

baby groot I have to call done. I'd liked to have worked on the seams on the mask a bit more but time is up:

groot_almost_finished2.JPG

groot_almost_finished1.jpg

groot_head.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back