Real Ghostbusters Pack in EVA Foam

ServoPrime

Hello eveyone! This is my first entry here at the RPF. My wife wanted to go Ghostbusting with me this Halloween, and I didn't feel like building another movie pack, so I'm making a Real Ghostbusters pack. I'm also taking this opportunity to practice my foam building skills. My raw materials are the big, foam anti-fatigue mats (apx. 1/2" thick) and yoga mats (apx. 1/4" thick) from Five Below. I'm using Woodweld contact cement and hot glue. When my local Books-A-Million closed, I was lucky enough to snag a large piece of signage that was made out of 1/4" rigid PVC foam. It served as a perfect motherboard to mount my foam pack to. I know it would have cost me a doozy if I had to buy it.
I attached the ALICE straps directly to the motherboard at the top by cutting slots and placing a wooden dowel behind them. The straps loop nicely onto the dowel. For the waist attachment, I mounted a quicklink with a pair of eye bolts to either side. It does a good job of approximating the mount points on an ALICE frame.
I sealed my foam and patched up joints with a mixture of DAP spackling paste and white glue. Over that, I used plastidip spray. As luck had it, I had two cans of Rustoleum Satin Midnight Blue, which turned out to be the perfect color.
For the handle grips, I just wrapped the 1/2" foam around the PVC pipe that I used for the base of my Neutrona Wand. I glued it with contact cement and shaped it with the sanding bit on my Dremmel. It took some practice, but I got the hang of shaping with it- at least for simple shapes.
The red drum is a Pringles can. The brackets are clear styrene rod that I heated and bent- sprayed silver.
On the neutrona wand I needed the foam to be smooth on both sides. The floor mats have a texture on one side. I bent the wings out first by cutting out a groove on the outside and heating it. I used 3M 90 spray glue to attach card stock to the textured side. When it was dry, I coated the card stock with thinned white glue. It warped a little when it dried, but I stacked some books on them overnight, and it flattened them out.
The knobs on the wand are various caps that I had- two pill bottles and a Tamiya paint jar.
I considered a few ways of attaching the neutrona wand to the pack, but a simple hook and loop seemed the most practical. I'm still working a way to dress it up so it looks a little more aesthetic. The attachment point on the show involves some sort of clip that the handle goes into, and I'm not ready to build something like that.
I haven't weighed it yet, but so far it's really light. It should make it a real pleasure to wear.
I still need to round up a yellow cord, but I have a black one that's good if I don't find it in time.
I'll update when I'm farther along.
All questions and comments are welcome.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• p01.jpg
    p01.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 455
  • p02.jpg
    p02.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 310
  • p03.jpg
    p03.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 286
  • p04.jpg
    p04.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 275
  • p05.jpg
    p05.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 294
  • p06.jpg
    p06.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 266
  • p07.jpg
    p07.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 185
  • p08.jpg
    p08.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 276
  • p09.jpg
    p09.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 269
  • p10.jpg
    p10.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 261
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back