MDF Mold Making for Vac Forming!

TK10259

Ok, So I was wondering if MDF Stormtrooper Armor molds will hold up in the long run? If not what can I do to strengthen them so they will? Thanks!

Honestly, they should be fine. I have some trooper moulds over ten years old that are still in great condition. There were coated with sanding sealer although now I'd probably use polyester resin.

The main thing is to keep them dry or they will start to delaminate and swell. I have seen this first hand and it's not pretty...

the main thing is keeping a smooth uniform surface. MDF is prone to showing lamination lines when you vac plastic over it and that's because the material is softer in the middle than at the edges of a board. One option could be to vac over the mdf form and use the pull as a mould to recast yourself in plaster or whatever :)

Honestly, they should be fine. I have some trooper moulds over ten years old that are still in great condition. There were coated with sanding sealer although now I'd probably use polyester resin.

The main thing is to keep them dry or they will start to delaminate and swell. I have seen this first hand and it's not pretty...
Thanks! I started working on the Drop Boxes today, and there looking pretty good so far... Im using an RS Suit for measurement references to try and get the molds as screen accurate as possible.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back