1974 Leatherface shirt?

MrSaberine

Hello all! I was wondering if any of you know of a shirt that closely resembles the one worn by Gunnar Hansen throughout the filming of TCM (1974)?
I found a guide online, talking about tea staining a 100% cotton old navy white and blue striped shirt he found. However, when I go to the website to search for the shirt, I can't find one even closely resembling it. I've been bashing my head in for the past 2 days, looking for the closest match, but can't seem to find one even remotely close, or if I do, it's not available in my size.
I'm 6'3, and I wear a 2XL, but I prefer 3XL, as I don't like being bunched up (I start feeling claustrophobic). Not sure if that information helps, but I figure it can't hurt to include.

Image10.jpgImage2.jpgImage18.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image18.jpg

Image10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the shirt is supposed to be white with blue pinstripes, but it's heavily dirtied with sweat, dirt, and murder over the timeframe, the way i would go about it is finding a light tan, desert, sand, khaki, whatever the company calls the color, and then adding a slightly darker shade of tan pinstripes (from the picks they look brown to me) with an INSANELY fine point, or hell... even sew them in. then weather it like you would any clothes.

I don't know a lot about the process of weathering fabric to the point of making it look like it survived any length of time on Leatherface, but I can say that I frequent TJMaxx and Marhshalls here in the states on a regular basis, and they have a ton of that style (white w/blue striping) dress shirt, and the funny thing is, the xxxl and XXL are usually the most still in stock vs. the LG or XL I wear. Might try a stop in. These are the ones that come prefolded in a plastic wrapper btw. Much thinner than the hanger shirts they carry.

I'd say keep on circulating thrift shops. Then after getting the shirt, I'd say tea dye the hell out of it, and then maybe spot misting darker tans around the neck/under the arm pits.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back