Fabric Markers VS Fabric Paint?

hcker2000

I'm hoping some of you have some experience with both of these products. I'm looking for some sharp black lines on a yellow fabric. I'm curious as to which would be better. The black areas of the design I want to be completely opaque or as opaque as possible. Thanks in advance.

There are different kinds of fabric paint - some act like dye and soak in, some are more like acrylic and sit on the surface leaving a plastic like surface. It depends on the type of fabric that you have for what would work best and generally it's always best to test. Markers, in my experience, would not be opaque enough, though they might be better for drawing a straight line

Its a plain cotton tshirt. I'm thinking some thing heavier that sits on the surface would work best.

"sits on the surface" will have two effects. One, it will leave a texture and two, it will come off much sooner in the wash. Fabric markers and paints in general will also not last long. What I would look for would be a way to dye or ink the lines. I would suggest looking into a fountain pen and a small well of a charcoal black ink. I would also look for the smallest tip I could find to address the issue of "bleed out" before I lay the first stroke. Once done, I would cold wash (no soap) the garment and air dry to lock the ink into the cotton. Once this is done, you will need a LOT of wash cycles or at the very least a dozen or more with bleach to get the ink to fade let alone come out.

Can you show us what you want?

There are other options, depending on what you mean by "lines." Could be piping, could be trim laid down, but if you are meaning like "cell shading" then that's a different kettle of fish.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back