The Tape Recorder from Netflix MINDHUNTER

Maybe a vintage Sony model of some type?

Sony TC-510-2.jpg

Attachments

• SonyTC-510-2-Ad.jpg
    SonyTC-510-2-Ad.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 4,284
I Did some Googling this afternoon and I actually stumbled over the same thing. And I think you're right. It certainly looks like this might be the one :)

http://museumofmagneticsoundrecording.org/images/R2R/vinAd76SonyTC5102Ad.jpg

I don't think it's an exact match, but the front guide piece with the holes seem to be characteristic of the vintage Sonys. Good luck in your search! :D

* Looked at the video again and based on the dials I actually think it may be the one. :thumbsup

Last edited:
:) that’s one of my builds. I did that for David. He actually had two other shops try to do the build before one of the shops (a friend of fine) told the prop master that they needed someone anal about details. So, I got the call. The reels were a bitch! David literally wanted a 5 thou chamfer on all the edges. I even had to upgrade my head blaster to use medial typically used in the finishing of medical devices to give him what he wanted. I scratch built 40% of an existing machine. We found two out there and one extra in a museum. It was a challenge... which ultimately David was extremely happy and the prop was used to create the title sequence for the show.

It looked incredible! I was sad when they moved to the cassette recorder.

:) that’s one of my builds. I did that for David. He actually had two other shops try to do the build before one of the shops (a friend of fine) told the prop master that they needed someone anal about details. So, I got the call. The reels were a bitch! David literally wanted a 5 thou chamfer on all the edges. I even had to upgrade my head blaster to use medial typically used in the finishing of medical devices to give him what he wanted. I scratch built 40% of an existing machine. We found two out there and one extra in a museum. It was a challenge... which ultimately David was extremely happy and the prop was used to create the title sequence for the show.

Thanks bro!

I ended up remachining a great deal of the other 60% of parts to remove dings and deep scratches. I color matched an original by mixing a custom set of gun coating colors. The silk screening was a bitch to deal with. David wanted extreme close ups. Prop master was pretty cool to work for. The guy calls me one night and two hours later had me on a plane headed for Pittsburg so I could have a 7am meeting with them the next morning. Then, at 7:30am was heading back to the airport to sit and wait for a 6pm flight back home. :) The meeting was that fast. Basically, the meeting went like this. “David wants perfect”. I replied to the prop master.... “I know David is tight with Pitt. I accomplish this, I want in on World War Z 2”. Lol I’m still waiting for a call. Lol

I love this forum. Watching this last night I thought 'wow I love the tape recorder in the title sequence - wonder what it is?' Today I check in here and not only is there already a thread on it, the guy who built the damn thing is here and gives even more insight! I love this forum.

How weird, I've been binge watching this today then I see this thread pop up. What a great series and I agree what a cool prop.

Excellent work!

My god! I so rarely post stuff on here because Im just not too much of a prop guy except when its something really unique. But every time I post something the responses are incredible. Getting a reply from you is just overwhelming and Im literally getting goosebumps from reading it. I never would have expected to get first hand info straight from the source like this. :-O

Thank you so much for commenting and excellent work on this prop! The sequence is just mesmerizing! :)

In regards to all the detail work Im curious How much was done on the exterior look of the player to create the final result? I mean Im checking screenshots and blacking out the Sony logo as well as finding the proper reels is a given to re-create the look but maybe there are more subtle changes that I havnt spotted? Just refering to the outside now - Im not about to scratch build 40% of it ;)

Last edited:
Great show. Reminds me a lot of Seven. Really nice work on the tape recorder. That title sequence is so well shot I don't even skip it.

I ended up remachining a great deal of the other 60% of parts to remove dings and deep scratches. I color matched an original by mixing a custom set of gun coating colors. The silk screening was a bitch to deal with. David wanted extreme close ups.

So you had an existing one that you patterned the parts off of? Some of these parts look like they would have taken a lot of work, I didn't realise these were that hard to find. I noticed the reels look different on the show version, it looks like there's lettering stamped on there and i'm guessing it doesn't say 'SONY'. ;)

R-2-R's will always look cool and they immediatly set the time period, another one often used as a prop that I always liked is the miniature Nagra SN.

Does anyone have a clue as to what make and modell the microphone is? I originally though this was part of the standard accessories that came with the recorder but now Im not so sure.

I thought the reels would be a piece of cake but after entire evening of googling and browsing Im finding that this particular reel design isnt especially standardized (most reels of this style tend to have only three holes in them creating more of a nuclear symbol than a cross).

I think I have narrowed it down to a company called UHER though. Im not 100% If Ive come actors the exact type yet but the one in this auction looks pretty close - minus the logo of course. And I havnt seen a lot of other companies that use this style.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332416972260

The reels I made from scratch. Look close at the center hub in the title clip and you’ll notice “KCP”. ���� I did not have a real reel to copy. I used whatever reference I could find. Your link you provided is close to what I was shooting for. We ran metal specifically for the title sequence. Also, metal reels were used during that time period. A museum piece I looked at for interrogations had metal reels on it.

I thought the reels would be a piece of cake but after entire evening of googling and browsing Im finding that this particular reel design isnt especially standardized (most reels of this style tend to have only three holes in them creating more of a nuclear symbol than a cross).

I think I have narrowed it down to a company called UHER though. Im not 100% If Ive come actors the exact type yet but the one in this auction looks pretty close - minus the logo of course. And I havnt seen a lot of other companies that use this style.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332416972260

The reels I made from scratch. Look close at the center hub in the title clip and you’ll notice “KCP”. ���� I did not have a real reel to copy. I used whatever reference I could find. Your link you provided is close to what I was shooting for. We ran metal specifically for the title sequence. Also, metal reels were used during that time period. A museum piece I looked at for interrogations had metal reels on it.

Wow... I really didnt expect them to be hand made. So they were actually cut from a sheet of metal or you mean to say that you had metal reel without holes that you cut to look that way?

I also cant believe How much they look like the UHER reels... I mean I can hardly tell them apart - right down to the bolts.

And in regards to that "KCP" mark you're gonna have to ger a screenshot of it because I really dont see it - it looks totally blank to me :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back