The Tape Recorder from Netflix MINDHUNTER

I cnc machined the reels out of flat aluminum. The center hubs I CADed and printed the parts and imbedded screw fasteners for the flat heads.

Wow... I really didnt expect them to be hand made. So they were actually cut from a sheet of metal or you mean to say that you had metal reel without holes that you cut to look that way?

I also cant believe How much they look like the UHER reels... I mean I can hardly tell them apart - right down to the bolts.

And in regards to that "KCP" mark you're gonna have to ger a screenshot of it because I really dont see it - it looks totally blank to me :)

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s a screen cap. Look closely.

Wow... I really didnt expect them to be hand made. So they were actually cut from a sheet of metal or you mean to sa 660C038F-3959-48E1-B753-91EB5AE09278.pngy that you had metal reel without holes that you cut to look that way?

I also cant believe How much they look like the UHER reels... I mean I can hardly tell them apart - right down to the bolts.

And in regards to that "KCP" mark you're gonna have to ger a screenshot of it because I really dont see it - it looks totally blank to me :)

Ah, my screenshot wasnt high resolution enough. Now I see what you mean. This is all incredibly fascinating and just a great help for trying to recreate this thing.

Sorry If I keep coming up with new questions but can you give any info on the microphone? Feels like this is the only thing missing right now. :)

Fantastic build! I enjoy reading about the process that goes into a project such as this. Thank you for your expert insight.
I cnc machined the reels out of flat aluminum. The center hubs I CADed and printed the parts and imbedded screw fasteners for the flat heads.

- - - Updated - - -

In a couple of shots (I saw it during the opening credits) you see that it's not Sony TC-510-2 but the Japanese version, the Sony TC-5550-2. This reel-to-reel recorder is some sort of hidden gem. I failed at finding out what that microphone is. Saw a bunch 70s mics on a couple of sites, but not looked exactly the same.

Later they use a Sony TC-D5M. Also a great looking recorder.

OH, COME ON!!!!! I just spent way to much money on a TC-510-2 and now its suddenly a TC-5550-2!?

Can somebody confirm the physical difference between them?

Also, does anyone know the size of the reels? (Ive found some that look similar but they appear to excist in both 13cm and 18cm diameter)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back