The Adam Savage complete Kurtz Dossier replica project

Mr Webber

Master Member
The Kurtz Dossier has been my holy grail for a very long time. Its one of a very few number of props
that almost have a character of their own and nearly five years ago I was going to try and put together
as best a replica as possible that only would have comprised a fraction of the screen seen stuff.

Then I came upon Adam`s WIP, and was absolutely blown away by the amount of high end work he had already
put in to his project and I was compelled to contact him and after proving my bona fides began tossing
things back and forward with the help of Stuart Morrow stromo who has helped me on countless projects,
to the point where Adam, who is the busiest person like, ever, honoured me by sending me everything he
had with the aim of putting it all together to make some fully complete Dossiers.

Adam had access to the original prop and had already created many documents and pictures that just needed
some finishing touches and many custom made items. I then set about expanding on all that where possible
and with Stu helping out reworking pictures and framing a lot of the documents it came down to making all
the jigsaw parts and make them come together without knowing what the finished picture is.

After nearly five years,lots of down time, we now have a screen accurate replica complete with every screen
seen document in their entirety on and contaianed in appropriate stationary and every screen seen picture
complete except two that have been substituted.

This dossier also contains special pictures not used on screen and custom pictures as well as dozens of
directly releated pictures and bespoke documents. Adam had custom photo wallets made that have the same
gold embossing on the back identicle to the originals,each Dossier has 8 of these as well as custom
Vietnamese ID cards with embossing on the finished laminate on both sides and wax seals with accurate
Eagle design, just perfect. The pictures here reveal just a fraction of the documents and pictures contained
in the completed dossier.

KD2.JPG KD3.JPG

The Break Down.....

"I`m still in Saigon". It all begins with Capt Willards initial orders letter. Finished on onion skin paper
with screen accurate envelope.

KD1.JPG

The Dossier breaks down in to four elements. The initial orders letter, the IVORY 1 BLACK file and master
envelope, IVORY one through four files in master envelope and the Colby file in master wallet.

KD4.JPG KD5.JPG KD5a.JPG

IVORY 1 BLACK

This is the folder that Harrison Ford works off when informing Willard of his mission. It is placed in a cover
folder and secured in a large envelope and with the rest of the dossier for Willards river journey. This folder
is basically the quick reference file for Willard. It is made up of its own unique content including newspaper
clippings and special four page orders letter but is based on copies of documents and pictures from the other
files.

KD6.JPG KD7.JPG KD8.JPG KD9.JPG

IVORY 1 2 3 and 4 RED

These four files document Kurtz`s family background through to his Terminate with extreme predjiduce status.
All files are in screen accurate official folders and placed in screen accurate cover folders with correct
Dymo tape labels.

The four files contain every item seen on screen in a complete state as well as dozens of extra documents and
dozens of extra photographs. Newsweek magazine is a genuine issue with Kurtz double page story added and although
not included in the final edit, a Time magazine as dated with a complete replica cover made. No movie releated
content though.

KD10.JPG

KD11.JPGKD12.JPGKD13.JPGKD14.JPG

KD15.JPGKD16.JPGKD17.JPGKD18.JPG

]KD19.JPG

The Colby File.

Given to Willard near the end of his journey this replica had to be made all from scratch. I`m assuming from all
the original content in Willards Dossier, poor Colby was not afforded the same preperation time. The only
compromise that had to be made on this was the document wallet, to get a screen accurate one was to order a
huge amount custom made. Only needed five at most so eventually found a very reasonable substitute. For some
reason I always thought the words HELL USA were written on the letter home envelope but could never get
it confirmed.

KD20.JPGKD21.JPGKD22.JPG

It was incredibly generous of Adam to let me in to this project and contribute some new elements, a literal
dream come true for me. I met up with him a couple of years ago at a Mythbusters Live gig here and he is a
what we call in Australia, a Champion. It was an equal pleasure working with Stuart Morrow, his input, creative
talent and patience were and are much appreciated. A shout out to The Chief saskafarian for his assistance on
the special orders letter as well.

There are still a couple of elements I want to add down the track such as a double page spread in the Time
magazine but need to keep my head out of the jungle for a while. Wars Hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an incredible body of work. Love the attention to detail - fantastic job.

Particularly like the colouration and patternation of the red folders marked ivory. Just beautiful prop making at work.

This is amazing work!
You probably have seen the LP gatefold sleeve of the story version of Apocalypse now?

Should the dossier include 2 x 7" white box scotch reel to reel tapes?

Cheers

Jim

This is absolutely amazing! The hard work all you folks CLEARLY put into this has REALLY paid off! Very nice work folks!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the positive comments guys, really appreciated.

This is amazing work!
You probably have seen the LP gatefold sleeve of the story version of Apocalypse now?

Should the dossier include 2 x 7" white box scotch reel to reel tapes?

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim, I wasnt aware of that item but googled it and all I could find were screen shots of the movie itself on the gatefold sleeve.

I think the reel to reel tapes you are referring to were in the Generals office and not part of the actual dossier but its easy to miss things.

It's an amazing achievement. And while I did much of the early obsessing and data acquisition, (even getting Coppola's permission to photograph what is left of the original (sadly not much besides a couple photos and a few pages)) it was Mr. Webber's dedication and extreme amount of patience with my dumb schedule that made it happen. Even the original propmaster who made it didn't hold a candle to Mr. Webber's incredible research and devotion to tracking down an incredible amount of the original photography.

What's really cool is the realization that the dossier is in fact the anchor of the story. Willard's journey through the dossier IS is journey up that river and it's the film's primary storytelling device. I eagerly look forward to hand delivering one to Francis himself.

I'm so proud to have this in my collection. AND to get a friendship out of it to boot (I'm coming back to OZ soon- I'll reach out).

Positively stellar work, gentlemen. Truly. It's absolutely mind-boggling the amount of time and effort that went into this. I am extremely impressed.

Thats amazing. Years ago I made the wax seal for a now passed collector who had the chance to study the original prop. I sent my mold to Adam a few years ago and that wax seal looks truly familiar.

Brilliant work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro-Job all the way Tim and Adam!! Wow, I'm going to have to digest all of those documents, pictures, folders, details and much much more! I'm eager to see FFC reaction of receiving the whole lot:cool:cool:cool:cool:cool

Pro-Job all the way Tim and Adam!! Wow, I'm going to have to digest all of those documents, pictures, folders, details and much much more! I'm eager to see FFC reaction of receiving the whole lot:cool:cool:cool:cool:cool

Adam told me a while ago that he was presenting one to Mr Coppola and my head still spins when I think about it joberg.

Thanks for the positive comments guys, really appreciated.

Thanks Jim, I wasnt aware of that item but googled it and all I could find were screen shots of the movie itself on the gatefold sleeve.

I think the reel to reel tapes you are referring to were in the Generals office and not part of the actual dossier but its easy to miss things.

It has a document with Kurtz's photo, and a manila folder with some dymo labeling on it. I can't lay hands on mine, but I did find an image on the web

an.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back