Original Trilogy TIE Fighter Pilot Helmet

GStam66

Hey everyone. Been trying to track down a TIE Fighter Pilot helmet for a costume I want to make, but all I'm finding for less than $300 are rubies helmets. I've tried searching other sites for fanmade ones, but a lot of the TIE-specific sites are dead (omega wing). Anyone know of where I can get a better quality helmet for a reasonable price? Or if there's a resource where I can mod the rubies helmet to actually look good? Thanks!

Hey everyone. Been trying to track down a TIE Fighter Pilot helmet for a costume I want to make, but all I'm finding for less than $300 are rubies helmets. I've tried searching other sites for fanmade ones, but a lot of the TIE-specific sites are dead (omega wing). Anyone know of where I can get a better quality helmet for a reasonable price? Or if there's a resource where I can mod the rubies helmet to actually look good? Thanks!

I would suggest the rubies From hot topic it's $40 you can easily stregthen it using isopon or fiber glass

thanks for the quick response! :) I just searched their site, not finding anything. The cheapest I've seen it is 125 on amazon.

EDIT: did a direct Google search and found the item, but it's out of stock and cannot be ordered. :(

Thank you! Just contacted him, waiting for a response. Still considering the rubies conversion to save time, unless it's like polishing a turd lol

The rubies helmet is smaller and not as accurate. .go to starwarshelmets.com and see the results. I'm making one myself from different suppliers to get as accurate as possible

If you are just going for a costume, rubies could do it, however it depends on what your goal is.

Good luck

I know the rubies helmets are a bit smaller, but I'm also a smaller guy (5'7") so I think the larger helmet would make me look like a bobblehead. The only time I saw a rubies helmet was on a taller guy, like 6' or taller.
If there's a guide on how to convert a rubies helmet to be decent looking, that might be my route. If that cant feasibly be done I may have to keep looking for a classic action style helmet for accuracy. 250-300 bucks is kinda steep for a helmet I'll wear for Halloween parties and display. Not looking to earn a 501st approval or anything.

Last edited:
I know the rubies helmets are a bit smaller, but I'm also a smaller guy (5'7") so I think the larger helmet would make me look like a bobblehead. The only time I saw a rubies helmet was on a taller guy, like 6' or taller.
If there's a guide on how to convert a rubies helmet to be decent looking, that might be my route. If that cant feasibly be done I may have to keep looking for a classic action style helmet for accuracy. 250-300 bucks is kinda steep for a helmet I'll wear for Halloween parties and display. Not looking to earn a 501st approval or anything.

The main issue with the rubies aside from size is the sculpt. Its one goofy exagerated sculpted. Almost rebels like around the frown. I dont see how it can be modified to something presentable.

The correct sized helmets look a little too large, especially if you are shorter. But you would want to get the full sized one for display purposes.

TazMan2000

I am a approved ANH tie pilot in the 501st. I have three helmets and a kit that needs finished. As far as the "bobblehead" look, the TI is supposed to have a bobblehead look. The TI helmets are much larger than a TK for instance.
I was thinking of letting my kit go, if I do I can let you know if interested.
I can tell you that if your wanting to go for accuracy, the rubies helmet takes a LOT of work to do it. I know other pilots who have done it, but it does take some work.

- - - Updated - - -

Make that two helmets and a kit I have. Not sure what I was thinking when I said three.

I am a approved ANH tie pilot in the 501st. I have three helmets and a kit that needs finished. As far as the "bobblehead" look, the TI is supposed to have a bobblehead look. The TI helmets are much larger than a TK for instance.
I was thinking of letting my kit go, if I do I can let you know if interested.
I can tell you that if your wanting to go for accuracy, the rubies helmet takes a LOT of work to do it. I know other pilots who have done it, but it does take some work.

- - - Updated - - -

Make that two helmets and a kit I have. Not sure what I was thinking when I said three.
Ah, understood. Learned something new today. Sounds like the TK might be the one for me. Yes, please keep me posted. Thanks!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back