Skyrim-Stalhrim Battleaxe

arborealkey

Hello !
I'm moving the part about the prop from my thread about my Deathbrand armor build (you can find it here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=282507).

ref_arme.jpg
Note: my own battleaxe will have a different texture, so it matches my armor's (check the other thread to see what I'm talking about). It might look like a hammered texture, but it's not when you look closely (it's more on the chiseled side).

I made my pattern based on a screenshot (opened it as a layer in GIMP, re-drew the main lines, printed it to the desired scale).

20171008_214930(1).jpg
I started with a 18mm wooden pole (I didn't get to choose the diameter, I just used the last one I had left). First, I cut the shape of the blade out of 10mm EVA foam. I glued three layers together. I started shaping it with a cutter and finished with a rotary tool. My armor was textured using one of the cylindrical sanding drums, so I did the same on the blade.
IMG_20171011_210956_516.jpg
The details in the middle are a mix of 2mm and 5mm EVA (I still have to clean it with the heat gun, to smooth the sanded parts and remove a bit of hot glue). The engavings were made using a woodburning tool.

20171013_220634.jpg
I added the hum...ball and spike on top of the blade.
I glued discs of foam together (yeah that totally looks like ****)

20171014_163216.jpg
I sanded the damn thing a bit, heated it up and rolled it between my hands (you know, like when you want to make a ball out of Play Doh)

20171014_164000.jpg
With the cylindrical sanding drum again, I added the concave parts.

20171014_165527.jpg
For the spike on top, I cut two triangles, glued them together, cut the piece until I got a pyramid. The IG spike has hollow parts so I just cut them out with a cutter.

20171014_222452.jpg
I just have something to do about the fact that I didn't glue it straight.

I then moved to the handle ! I started with the stalhrim parts, which are just two rectangles of 5mm foam. I then made the metal thing at the top, in the same way as the foam ball (glued layers of foam together, sanded them, heated them to adjust the shape).
The details were added with 2mm foam. I also made the piece placed between the two stalhrim parts. Once again, I glued pieces of foam, sanded them etc...

20171014_222431 (1).jpg

That's what I've done so far !

Awesome job looks grand :)
Thanks !

I finished the handle on Sunday. The red material is yoga mat, it serves as padding for were the (p)leather strips will be. All that's light grey is EVA foam.
20171015_161545.jpg

Here are some close ups so you can see where my (temporarly) disgusting seams are.

20171015_184050.jpg

20171015_115109.jpg

20171015_184031.jpg

Outstanding work so far! Always impressed with high detail level foam builds. I'm working on a Guilded Carved Nordic armor myself right now and have been picking up bits and pieces of knowledge from folks like you who are kind enough to share their work in an almost "tutorial" state like this. So, many thanks for sharing and I will be subscribing to this with attention to your methods!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Outstanding work so far! Always impressed with high detail level foam builds. I'm working on a Guilded Carved Nordic armor myself right now and have been picking up bits and pieces of knowledge from folks like you who are kind enough to share their work in an almost "tutorial" state like this. So, many thanks for sharing and I will be subscribing to this with attention to your methods!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Oh, I almost chose that one ! I do the same, I personally do not like to follow tutorials, but I'm picking ideas from seeing other people's builds (like looking at costumes during conventions).

If you hadn't said that was foam I wouldn't believe it. That's looking great!
Thank you !

I've been focusing on the armor rather than on the axe itself during the past week, so I don't have anything new to show here. I only cleaned the seams on the pommel-thingy.

Good Lord girl, you must LIVE foam! I just now realized it was you building this! When my tapatalk feed showed you quoted me, it thought it was in the Visarch thread... I had not noticed you were the one doing this as well! That explains the level of detail....

That really is the easiest way to learn I think. If you follow a tutorial your just repeating someone else's work, like tracing a picture someone else made, but if you take bits from this person's style and that one's, and apply it to YOUR work then it sinks in a lot more. Least for me anyway.

Good Lord girl, you must LIVE foam! I just now realized it was you building this! When my tapatalk feed showed you quoted me, it thought it was in the Visarch thread... I had not noticed you were the one doing this as well! That explains the level of detail....

That really is the easiest way to learn I think. If you follow a tutorial your just repeating someone else's work, like tracing a picture someone else made, but if you take bits from this person's style and that one's, and apply it to YOUR work then it sinks in a lot more. Least for me anyway.

Yeah, it's a side build for a convention (battleaxe and armor). Same, I do not like using someone else's technique with tweaking it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back