Zvezda 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer – WIP

The detail is looking just outstanding. I have this kit and I have to admit I'm a little nervous on the lighting. I have basic skills as far as a 9v, fiber, led, resistor, and basic switch. I am hesitant on what power supply to use with a 12V and pre-wired led and putting it all together. Hope you show as much detail on the lighting and what materials used.
I was going to build mine out of the box but maybe will order some parts after looking at what you got gone on here, again great job!

Thanks for starting this thread

Okay, after getting over a touch of the flu, a bit more progress.

I marked all planned locations for my windows. I haven't even done this to the upper and lower hulls yet!

yDRi88p.jpg

evIDZyS.jpg

Turning my attention to the bridge, I shaved off the hex bases for the kit domes. I filled them in with matching styrene stock and backed it with more of the same. Now I have a perfectly flat surface for the 3D printed parts. As a bonus, sealing the holes this way should minimize any light leaks, since I plan on mounting an led inside, to cut down on long fiber optic runs from the main body of the ship.

iduBbmv.jpg

HWRZ87l.jpg

PrLBHCu.jpg

kE3JohJ.jpg

These will replace the poorly detailed stockers. The protective cage (which is removed, obviously) is a really nice touch.

d20jUIL.jpg

Guns, glad you only had a touch of it, there's some nasty bugs around these days :sick you got any pics of that bridge top you re-engineered? Certainly for the upgrade shield generators...I'd read on Shapways what needed to be done, but I've yet to see any illustrations of it. Also a question for anyone...I can't find an image of this anywhere, those 8 points, 4 each, above the 2 secondary openings in the forward part of the hangar bay...are those light points, or just generic openings? If they're supposed to be lights I'm gonna drill 'em for FO. I'm probably getting carried away with lighting this monster, but...I'm using .25mm FO for the bulk of it which allows for a lot more of it. Tedious, and it could get messy and cumbersome but I can see in my mind what it would look like :rolleyes

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 770622

No lights in those holes as far as I can tell...

isdbay3.jpg

Re-engineered bridge top? You mean adjusting the angle relative to the top of the superstructure? Not yet, I'll get around to it soon though.

Umm...Not sure If I follow you. Are you saying that Gus does printing work FOR Shapeways or offers his designs THROUGH Shapeways as well? The link I posted was to the hangar bay I designed and printed through Shapeways. It looks a LOT like the one he's printing. I'd imagine it's just coincidence but if he actually prints work FOR Shapeways as an outsource contractor then maybe it's not?

Bill

Stellar work so far! I like the way you are lining up your drill holes.

I've been out on a cruise for the last week - so I have to rev myself back up to get back into detail mode.

I got the single remote per Robiwon's advice when he built his first. I did not know they had a double remote sensor - so I may have to get one of those. I was planning on lighting this up with 2 AA mounted on the inside, but am now wondering if I may need to get another AA power holder so my kit is running on 4 AA's - but am unsure how to wire that up so both power holders are running off the single remote sensor. Maybe having the double remote sensor would fix that problem?

Stellar work so far! I like the way you are lining up your drill holes.

Thanks, I'm just now uncrossing my eyes but I fully expect more eye strain when it comes to actually drilling them. I'm not going to try and open up all of them; if anything those marks are just reference points. The "islands" on the top and bottom hulls will be even more of a challenge but I say bring it!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back