Is PVC foam good for armor

leao jitsu

Has anyone here had any success making armor with PVC foam mats? I was just at Home Depot and ran into these mats for $13. They seem to be pretty cheap. I haven't worked with this stuff, but it seems yo be similar to EVA.

I'd say the majority of cosplay armor you see is made from floor mats. The way you cut, seal, and paint is what makes or breaks it. I just recently made some reaper (overwatch) leg armor from some and did NOT take my time. They are now in the trash. Buuuut people with talent like bill Duran (punished props) can actually make it nice lol
34d13dea009cb48908fb24dcd2f29903.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure it's PVC foam? It's probably EVA foam if it's sold in mats. PVC foam is also good for costumes, but it's more of a rigid plastic than EVA foam, however both are forgiving and easy to work with. The Mandalorian Mercs like to use PVC because of the relatively little flex and hard, smooth surface, along with it's low malleability temperature. Their application is well suited as they have small plates with only slight curvature.

Building a Masterchief costume out of PVC foam would be quite a feat, and not an easy one. Building one out of EVA foam can be done in a month.

A dear friend of mine made a "Fat Lady Sings" costume of an opera singing viking. She used that foam for her shield and it looked great. Takes paint pretty well.

on a similar note; any of ya'll ever messed with this stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Darice-Foami...=UTF8&qid=1508177214&sr=8-4&keywords=EVA+foam

I was just on amazon looking for EVA foam without that darn diamond pattern on it, and I think I found some; but this stuff struck my eye as useful. seems like a super thin, large roll, of EVA style foam would be handy, but I've no experience with it/if it works the same way as EVA

Note that this stuff is very thin. I use this thickness for detailing mainly, and for items that I want to be a bit more flexible. They do sell 5mm/6mm thick sheets of this at many craft stores, which is much better at holding its shape for armors and helmets and whatnot.

Thanks for the link. I was looking at this, but it seems that it is ridiculously expensive. Perhaps its because nobody else has it in stock. Joann's has the same roll for $6.74. That are out of stock now, so I will wait till they get it in and buy it from them. Right now I can pick up the same brand foam from Joann's for $.99 a 12x18 in. sheet.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back