Jawa SAND CRAWLER - 1/96 Randy Cooper Resin Model

With the Randy Cooper Star Destroyer model now completed, I have started work on his Sand Crawler which I believe to be about 1/96 scale. I'm just at the very earliest tidy up stages but are immediately enjoying the build and feel really charged up and ready for the massive resin journey ahead of me.

OOOODEEENIE !

DSCF7260.JPG

DSCF7259.JPG

:p

Attachments

• 20171012_144604 (002).jpg
    20171012_144604 (002).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 358
Cool, I have been eyeing one of these since it is about as lose to 1/72 as we would probably ever see

Is one of the micromachines Jawa figures?

Those (and other micromachines figures) should be be good enough to display around it since they tend to hover around 1/76 to 1/87

Hi Blake H1

Thanks for the words - the Jawa is part of the West End Games 25mm Star Wars ANH sets from 1989. I have some micro machines figures too, these work well

regards - JOhn

A good few hours spent tidying up the wheels and bogies, and I have a family of little 12mm high brown smelly desert rats to add to the finished diorama now...

DSCF7287.JPG

DSCF7289.JPG

DSCF7292.JPG

DSCF7296.JPG

DSCF7294.JPG

OOODEENEEE !

Jawa1.JPG

Many dusty hours spent outside in the blustery UK wind and rain this last weekend has got me through the sanding process - now with all parts tidied up and ready to assemble. I just need to band-saw the crawler track teeth out and tidy them up - there is a lot of resin flash in between each tread link. The cockpit is drilled out ready for LED and fibre optics too now.

Utinni !

DSCF7301.JPG

DSCF7319.JPG

DSCF7308.JPG

DSCF7305.JPG

DSCF7320.JPG

DSCF7327.JPG

DSCF7334.JPG

DSCF7330.JPG

thanks for following along

Very cool I just started building this as well so I can't wait to see what you do with it! That belt sander looks really familiar. I was doing the same thing this past weekend and had to do all of that outdoors. It was a serious mess. Lots of clean-up on this. Looks like your cockpit is in pretty bad shape. The floor was missing?

Hi Mellowtiger

its good to know I'm not alone out there building this big shoe box. The cockpit floor was half missing - a bad pour at the moulding stage, it looked like Randy had poured the resin into his moulds on an uneven surface as most of the parts were thicker at one end than the other - but that just adds a challenge and makes it all the more fun for me - Randy's kits have really divorced me away from nicely designed CAD drafted perfect fitting kits and turned me into a more self sufficient creative builder for a change, and I have found the whole experience quite refreshing. I'll drop some update pictures for you (PS good luck getting the upper box section to fit on the lower tray - that was a bitch of a fitting last night which I have not pictured yet as it is drying still)

Hi, it’s a great piece once built. With alot of putty, sanding and tweaks, it will be the center of any collection.
I have a few pics of mine on my website www.nbg-studios.com

Thanks!

thanks for the link - will check it out - this kit is turning bitch on me - there is a major twist in it and I am going to have to make a slim wooden top frame to keep it square (despite much heat treatmenting)

The skew in the body is recoverable but will add unexpected time to the build (mind you, I am kind of enjoying the challenges as the occur now)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, it’s a great piece once built. With alot of putty, sanding and tweaks, it will be the center of any collection.
I have a few pics of mine on my website www.nbg-studios.com

Thanks!

That's totally weird - your model was the inspiration to buy the kit - I saw your builds which inspired me to build Randys Star Destroyer and then the Crawler - even weirder is that I have just seen your Lorne Paterson book in the background, which I am also working from - its a small world

You said it! It’s a small world... Or community..:)
I’m really flattered that my build inspired someone and in this case you!
Thanks!!
thanks for the link - will check it out - this kit is turning bitch on me - there is a major twist in it and I am going to have to make a slim wooden top frame to keep it square (despite much heat treatmenting)

The skew in the body is recoverable but will add unexpected time to the build (mind you, I am kind of enjoying the challenges as the occur now)

- - - Updated - - -

That's totally weird - your model was the inspiration to buy the kit - I saw your builds which inspired me to build Randys Star Destroyer and then the Crawler - even weirder is that I have just seen your Lorne Paterson book in the background, which I am also working from - its a small world

looking more like a big box now - coming together rather slowly - I keep getting distracted each night and have been watching Peaky Blinders right from S1 again bring the WIP to a bit of a crawl...

DSCF7397.JPG

DSCF7399.JPGDSCF7400.JPG

snip1.JPG

thanks for following

John

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back