Emerald City Comic Con 2018

The POINT is, that there was absolutely nothing in any of those listings saying that people outside that demographic could not attend. In the article someone who WAS outside the demographic DID attend and was in no way excluded or made to feel unwelcome.

The POINT is, that there was absolutely nothing in any of those listings saying that people outside that demographic could not attend. In the article someone who WAS outside the demographic DID attend and was in no way excluded or made to feel unwelcome.

:facepalm I can explain it to you, but I can never help you understand it.

Moving on. Cheerio and all that.

As with just about everything else in this country, comics have been about 95% dominated by white heterosexual men for the entirety of its existence as an industry. When a woman's name, such as Louise Simonson or Ann Nocenti, stands out as remarkable, it's no surprise that people who are not part of that default demographic want a chance to meet up and compare notes and not feel like outsiders for a minute. Just because comics are now only about 90% white heterosexual men does not mean we are now being oppressed and excluded. The traditionally dominant demographic does not require special treatment.

I also love that those articles (Breitbart? Really? Not the most unbiased source on the planet...) showed the same picture of one of the gender-neutral restroom signs. Like that was what all the bathrooms at the con were or something. Most of the restrooms were the typical M/F model. There were three or four in the entire convention center that were designated gender-neutral. No one was forced to do or not do anything or go or not go anywhere. Also also, kudos for all the "cosplay is not consent" placards up around the con.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back