Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand.

Amazing Dan! Stellar effort and let me say a big "Thanks" to you and everyone else that added time and research to this fun thread.
Now...what thing...thing is next? Lol

Regards
T
A
Z

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lol. 3D print maybe? What's it look like?

I was thinking accurate Petri dish and labels with appropriate wire,spool and scalpel with of course fake blood for a nice little display:)

Regards
T
A
Z

Thanks guys. You've done some great research and it was a fun hunt. It's actually Hercules Inc. Just trying to get the right text in the other areas.:)

Regards
View attachment 765729
View attachment 765730

I plan to make some replicas of the sticks and Macready's bundle if there's enough interest as it's going to be used in a spiderhead display of my own.

Regards
T
A
Z

Taz, where did you find that picture of the real box? I've been looking up "Hercules, Unigel, Dynamite" and any other combinations I can think of and I haven't seen that picture anywhere but here.:confused

I'm thinking there may be more to the text on the sticks but, I can't really find anything conclusive. The quality I have of the film doesn't yield much, just that the 2nd line of text looks longer than the 1st and 3rd.

It was a personal photo of a guy exploring a mine and unexploded dynamite. Just a weird forum. I've only ever found it on one place. Thats the only pic. So unless we can ask someone who mined in Canada or find a rep from Hercules that might know what the sticks look like we are stuck. I'll see if I can find the forum but not much there mate.

Regards
T
A
Z

Well I quickly did a rough mock with the awesome files done by our fellow "thingist." Really fun but already learned by doing. We should keep hunting this. The box and accurate stick text.

Now...who wants to find accurate Petri dishes and what size are they lol

2b4edb7bdc3713834fa6e5eb6dac8301.jpg
2810d04d8ebf9e62ac17dbf64bd69b32.jpg

Just for fun...fuse in the other end;)
bfae8539b1707171de06ff33f5202a9f.jpg

Regards
T
A
Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now those look pretty good. I was wondering if I was the only one thinking of doing an "accurate" fuse. Nice job!

Well I quickly did a rough mock with the awesome files done by our fellow "thingist." Really fun but already learned by doing. We should keep hunting this. The box and accurate stick text.

There is a perfect shot of the side of the box in the film. I've only got access to a copy in 720p and I can just barely make out the logo, the Hercules text, and Unigel with a trademark symbol. Going from other boxes on the web, it must list the details and, perhaps what to expect on the sticks themselves. I just need a clearer copy, maybe 1080p.

There are a few scenes that, if they were clearer, might show the text on the sticks, and there's one where they have a bundle of dynamite next to one of the thermite grenades from the opening. I just happen to have a vintage smoke grenade that's in the same body so, I can work on some accurate measurements.

Lol. 3D print maybe? What's it look like?

I was thinking accurate Petri dish and labels with appropriate wire,spool and scalpel with of course fake blood for a nice little display:)

Regards
T
A
Z

put one of these in the Petri dish

The-Thing-Replica-Monster-Blood-Sample-1.jpg

Grenade king. That's some great snooping there. With the new transfer released we may be in for some more luck there when it comes to the dynamite:)

The thermite would be cool to have in a display as well.
Dan...yeah. Blood monsters cool. But in reality it just looked like a blood vomit not the Rolling Stones creature. I thought that was just a cool take on it. There's a Palmer head version too.

Let's post some more pics folks:)

Regards
T
A
Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I went out and bought the Collector's Edition of the film. The clarity is phenomenal to say the least. I've managed to figure out most of the text on the dynamite.

You've got, the Hercules logo and name on the side then, 4 lines of text. The top line is "Unigel", the 2nd line is "Tamptite", the 3rd and 4th lines are a little unclear but, they appear to say "Danger" and "Explosive". There's also a 2 line lot number running vertical next to it, and a bit of mystery text under that.

I unfortunately don't have a Blu-Ray player on my computer so, the best I could do is maybe take some photo's of my TV.

I got some dimensions the other day, seems like an ordinary dynamite stick, 1 1/4in x 8in.

One funny thing I noticed, is that the box full of dynamite on the table in the blood scene is labeled as "Hercules Unimite Dynamite". Later in the film however, you can see 4 or 5 boxes in the store room labeled as "Unigel".

I've still got a ton of special features to comb through that might yield more but, I think I've made good progress. :)

That is simply FANTASTIC mate! Well done. This is a mystery and has been so since the 80's. Not as big as the "Obi" saber boom by any means but still cool nonethless.
Perhaps more luck can be found searching for whats on the unigel box?

You up for more challenge Dan??? :)

Admiration
T
A
Z

I've managed to figure out most of the text on the dynamite.

Sweet! Thanks!

Maybe someone else with a copy can get us some screencaps...or sure, go ahead and take a picture of your TV. See if you can make a better picture than we have so far. With the text you've found I can improve the approximate version on the printable replica, but it'd be far easier with better images to work from.

You up for more challenge Dan??? :)

Well, I definitely want to upgrade the stick as more information comes to light. I'm not sure I want to tackle cardboard boxes or other Thing stuff right now. Got a few other projects that need attention....

Understandable. I don't need a cardboard box ATM either lol. Let's get some new pics of the dynamite and go from there:)

Regards
T
A
Z

These images are the best I can do for now. They're more clear on the TV without the artifacting from the camera. The quality of the Blu-Ray is really astounding. It's probably even clearer on a computer.

Should give something to go on. You can even get specific with the fonts since the shapes are pretty clear. I can't decide if it says "Danger Explosive" or "Dangerous Explosive" or even "Dangerous Explosives". And, I can't tell what that line under the lot numbers is. Looks like "A???" or "AN??".

IMG_3174.JPGIMG_3182.JPGIMG_3184.JPGIMG_3186.JPGIMG_3188.JPG

Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand.

Hey grenadeking. Thanks for your effort. I have a pc player but not the movie. I am waiting on a copy from a fine gent who gifted it so as soon as I can I'll post screencaps too. If anyone beats me to it's even better lol

Regards
T
A
Z

Last edited:
Hey grenadeking. Thanks for your effort. I have a pic nlueray play but not the movie. I'm waiting on a copy from a fine gent who gifted it so as soon as I can I'll post screencaps too. If anyone beats me to it's even better lol

No problem. I look forward to seeing some better screen caps in the future.

Until then, I threw these together, I used Dan's image on the previous page and reworked it. It's quite a bit speculative and I need to get some correct paper but, I think they look pretty good for now.

IMG_3216.jpg

Ha ha really quite cool mate. Hopefully we can get some good screencaps from the new release soon.

Regards
T
A
Z

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back