Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member dropshipbob's Avatar
    Oct 30, 2017, 10:05 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #51

TazVader said: View Post
    Lol. 3D print maybe? What's it look like?
    I'm not entirely sure how it should look, I have a screen cap, but it's pretty bad.
    From
    Louisville, KY
    Nov 1, 2017, 12:33 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #52

Okay, I went out and bought the Collector's Edition of the film. The clarity is phenomenal to say the least. I've managed to figure out most of the text on the dynamite.

You've got, the Hercules logo and name on the side then, 4 lines of text. The top line is "Unigel", the 2nd line is "Tamptite", the 3rd and 4th lines are a little unclear but, they appear to say "Danger" and "Explosive". There's also a 2 line lot number running vertical next to it, and a bit of mystery text under that.

I unfortunately don't have a Blu-Ray player on my computer so, the best I could do is maybe take some photo's of my TV.

I got some dimensions the other day, seems like an ordinary dynamite stick, 1 1/4in x 8in.

One funny thing I noticed, is that the box full of dynamite on the table in the blood scene is labeled as "Hercules Unimite Dynamite". Later in the film however, you can see 4 or 5 boxes in the store room labeled as "Unigel".

I've still got a ton of special features to comb through that might yield more but, I think I've made good progress.
    From
    Burnie, Tasmania, Australia
    Nov 1, 2017, 3:17 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #53

That is simply FANTASTIC mate! Well done. This is a mystery and has been so since the 80's. Not as big as the "Obi" saber boom by any means but still cool nonethless.
    Perhaps more luck can be found searching for whats on the unigel box?

You up for more challenge Dan???

Admiration
    T
    A
    Z
    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nov 1, 2017, 12:22 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #54

GrenadeKing said: View Post
    I've managed to figure out most of the text on the dynamite.
    Sweet! Thanks!

Maybe someone else with a copy can get us some screencaps...or sure, go ahead and take a picture of your TV. See if you can make a better picture than we have so far. With the text you've found I can improve the approximate version on the printable replica, but it'd be far easier with better images to work from.

You up for more challenge Dan???
    Well, I definitely want to upgrade the stick as more information comes to light. I'm not sure I want to tackle cardboard boxes or other Thing stuff right now. Got a few other projects that need attention....
    From
    Nov 1, 2017, 2:13 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #55

Understandable. I don't need a cardboard box ATM either lol. Let's get some new pics of the dynamite and go from there

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Louisville, KY
    Nov 1, 2017, 6:38 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #56

These images are the best I can do for now. They're more clear on the TV without the artifacting from the camera. The quality of the Blu-Ray is really astounding. It's probably even clearer on a computer.

Should give something to go on. You can even get specific with the fonts since the shapes are pretty clear. I can't decide if it says "Danger Explosive" or "Dangerous Explosive" or even "Dangerous Explosives". And, I can't tell what that line under the lot numbers is. Looks like "A???" or "AN??".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3174.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	770491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3182.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	770492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3184.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	770493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3186.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	770494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3188.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.36 MB 
ID:	770495
    From
    Nov 2, 2017, 4:29 AM - Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #57

Hey grenadeking. Thanks for your effort. I have a pc player but not the movie. I am waiting on a copy from a fine gent who gifted it so as soon as I can I'll post screencaps too. If anyone beats me to it's even better lol

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Last edited by TazVader; Nov 4, 2017 at 4:58 AM.
    From
    Louisville, KY
    Nov 4, 2017, 2:59 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #58

Hey grenadeking. Thanks for your effort. I have a pic nlueray play but not the movie. I'm waiting on a copy from a fine gent who gifted it so as soon as I can I'll post screencaps too. If anyone beats me to it's even better lol
    No problem. I look forward to seeing some better screen caps in the future.

Until then, I threw these together, I used Dan's image on the previous page and reworked it. It's quite a bit speculative and I need to get some correct paper but, I think they look pretty good for now.

Name:	IMG_3216.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	607.7 KB 
ID:	771104
    From
    Nov 4, 2017, 5:00 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #59

Ha ha really quite cool mate. Hopefully we can get some good screencaps from the new release soon.

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

10. RPF Premium Member TazVader's Avatar
    From
    Nov 10, 2017, 3:24 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #60

Still awaiting my new BD Thing for screencaps. Anyone else moved on it yet?

Regards
    T
    A
    Z
    From
    Louisville, KY
    Nov 12, 2017, 12:01 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #61

I don't have any new/better screen caps but, I have been doing some research.

I started by digging through Trademarks from the now defunct Hercules Inc. This lead me to the US Patent & Trademark office web archive, where they sometimes have samples of the entire TM on file, including scanned documents and examples of the TM in use. Unigel, was created by Hercules, then in the mid 80s production shifted to a company called Ireco, and eventually was turned over to Dyno Nobel.

Under this search, I found some great pictures of a box of Unigel from 1972:

Name:	hercbox7.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	772832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hercbox9.jpg 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	772833

And, another image of a box from 1978. It's a different dynamite charge but, notice how this box is virtually identical to the one featured in the film:

Name:	UnigelTM-16.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	772834

Unfortunately, there were no pictures of an actual stick or wrapper from this time period. There was one from Dyno Nodel, and a forerunner from Ireco but, no similarities. So, I trawled through the patents again looking for other dynamite brands Hercules had offered.

One of those brands was "Hercosplit WR". I don't know what it is, these images are what I was more concerned about:

Name:	hercosplittm-10b.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	769.5 KB 
ID:	772849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hercosplit2-3.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	468.4 KB 
ID:	772848

Notice the location of the logo and the two lines of text. It's pretty close to the sticks of Unigel in the film. Note how it says "Dangerous Explosives".

With this in hand, I kept looking. I found another product called "Unimax". Unimax was also moved to Ireco in the mid 80s. Again, I didn't find any Hercules brand images but, I did find something pretty darn close. There was an image of an early production stick from Ireco, and a later version. The later version is similar to the Unigel stick on file. The early version however:

Name:	unimaxsp-2.png 
Size:	459.3 KB 
ID:	772850

That looks almost identical to what we see in the screen caps. Aside from the logo and lack of "Tamptite" text, everything seems to line up. In the film, it appears that the date codes may be flip flopped a bit. I think on screen it reads the year/code, and the day, and then the month closest to the text. Other than that, I think I may have more or less solved the mystery.

I'd still love to see some better screen caps because moar accuracy = moar better.
  12. RPF Premium Member TazVader's Avatar
    From
    Nov 13, 2017, 6:22 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #62

Wow mate. You've floored me with your "google-fu" seriously! That was an exciting read. Still waiting on my bluray but as soon as it arrives I'll be going click click and posting as soon as. Your first pic didn't work btw

Thanks mate

T
    A
    Z

13. RPF Premium Member dropshipbob's Avatar
    Nov 21, 2017, 11:33 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #63

bump...
    From
    Louisville, KY
    Nov 25, 2017, 2:34 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #64

Well, I was watching some abandoned mine exploration videos on YouTube when serendipity struck.

The guy stumbled upon a Hercules shipping paper... so I kept watching. Then, he found a case of Hercules blasting caps... so, I kept watching.

Then, I almost fell out of my chair...

Name:	mineunigel3b.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	776029

The amount of sheer luck and happenstance in finding this is astounding... I think I'll go buy a lottery ticket now.

It's dated 1981 btw, Hercules had stopped making dynamite by the 90's.
    From
    Louisville, KY
    Dec 7, 2017, 6:11 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #65

*Bump*

Still waiting on my bluray but as soon as it arrives I'll be going click click and posting as soon as.
    Any update on this? I'd love to get some better screen caps to help finalize my label.

I took the image of the real stick above and resized it to fit the one I'd been working with. I tracked down a higher quality Hercules logo and the correct fonts for the words. I'll post what I have soon, I'm just not 100% on it. More like 95%.
  16. RPF Premium Member dropshipbob's Avatar
    Dec 7, 2017, 9:02 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #66

I took the above photo of the stick from the cave video and combined it with what was done earlier by Dan Efran. I too think I have something that's pretty close...I can post it if anyone wants to see it.
  17. RPF Premium Member TazVader's Avatar
    From
    Dec 7, 2017, 2:24 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #67

Love to see it guys. I'm still waiting on my awesome copy of the bluray. Just dependant on a friend in the UK and when he has time to send it lol

Be my guest to show your wares folks this is t a for sale run etc. it's for us all to obtain a nice replica. Then we can move onto the pertinent dishes. Maybe followed by a flamethrower lol

Kind regards
    T
    A
    Z

18. RPF Premium Member dropshipbob's Avatar
    Dec 7, 2017, 2:45 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #68

O.k., here's what I have. I tried to match the font and placed all my info over the photo of the stick from the cave and also what Dan Efran created. The 3 in "31" is a guess, I couldn't really tell what number that was...BUT...that might not even be the same on the screen used sticks, so it may not be a concern in the end.

Name:	dynamite.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	778881
    From
    Louisville, KY
    Dec 8, 2017, 6:59 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #69

dropshipbob said: View Post
    O.k., here's what I have. I tried to match the font and placed all my info over the photo of the stick from the cave and also what Dan Efran created. The 3 in "31" is a guess, I couldn't really tell what number that was...BUT...that might not even be the same on the screen used sticks, so it may not be a concern in the end.
    Looks good! Very similar to what I'd come up with.

My guess:

Name:	IMG_3186 copy.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	778975

The font for the whole thing seems to be Futura Bold, or some variant. On the stick in the mine, the date code seems to be stamped in Helvetica font, but in the film, it seems to also be Futura. All of the reference dynamite I'd come across had "J1" on it so, that seems to be a likely candidate for the "31" on the mine stick and probably follows the date code on the film stick. The one in the film seems to say 1974 or '76 or maybe even '78. Dynamite doesn't have much of a shelf life but, it's also just a movie so it could be any one. I went with '76 for mine.

The date and month are flipped on the film version. The film one also seems to say "April". It's short and starts with an "A" so, doesn't leave much else unless I'm seeing it horribly wrong.

The single number, I can't decipher. On the reference stuff, it seems to be the day of manufacture, but it looks like "41" which wouldn't make sense. If it's April, it can't be "31" so, I went with "21" on my wrapper but, I'd take that with a grain of salt.

So, in the end, I've got this for the time being, which looks pretty darn close to dropshipbob's. I think we're on the right track.

Name:	thethingdynamite5b.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	778974
  20. RPF Premium Member dropshipbob's Avatar
    Dec 8, 2017, 9:26 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #70

Looks good!