Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oct 21, 2017, 7:22 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #26

funboy1013xx said: View Post
    so your gonna have to adjust the "mock up" and print this out at an angle to get the "spiral" wrap of the paper? right?
    Yeah, I was just coming to that conclusion. It'll have to be printed diagonally.
    Last edited by Dan Efran; Oct 21, 2017 at 7:30 PM. Reason: added quote for context
    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oct 21, 2017, 7:46 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #27

Also worth noting, a YourProps page shows what looks to me like a totally different version:

https://www.yourprops.com/kurt-russel-dynamite-original-movie-prop-The-Thing-1982-YP51872.html
    From
    Louisville, KY
    Oct 21, 2017, 10:34 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #28

I'm skeptical of that one. It looks nothing like the ones in the film. Wrong wrap, too glossy, and too narrow. Only one picture as well. Seems off.
    From
    Burnie, Tasmania, Australia
    Oct 22, 2017, 8:30 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #29

Some other interesting images;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	normal_Hercules-Incorporated-Fire-Department-Patch-v1-New-Jersey-Patches-NJFr.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	768165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HERCULES.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	768166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	768167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	768168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57 (1).JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	768169
    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oct 23, 2017, 3:03 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #30

GrenadeKing said: View Post
    I'm skeptical of that one. It looks nothing like the ones in the film. Wrong wrap, too glossy, and too narrow. Only one picture as well. Seems off.
    I agree. At best, not the same prop we're doing. Maybe they had more than one style on set. I just read that they actually had the actors throwing real dynamite sticks. That's pretty weird.

TazVader said: View Post
    Some other interesting images;

Name:	HERCULES.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	768166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57 (1).JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	768169
    Very cool finds!

Stay tuned for a rough draft.
    From
    Oct 23, 2017, 5:47 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #31

Awesome. It does look like the Hercules inc logo in the previous post is spot on apart from the "industries" etc bit. I bet they cobbled together some images lol

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oct 23, 2017, 6:34 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #32

Here's my first draft:

Name:	draft 1 stick test.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	768418
    I think the wrap angle is pretty good. The text is purely speculative - I still can't see anything beyond "UN" for sure. But if you squint I think this looks pretty close.
    It shouldn't be hard to fine-tune it from here.
    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oct 23, 2017, 6:40 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #33

Here's a direct comparison of my first draft to the original:

Name:	draft 1 vs screencap.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	768430
    Not exact, but getting close.
  9. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    Oct 23, 2017, 6:44 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #34

Ahh Location shooting in the early 80's.

Where they were they got away with a LOT of things!

Dan Efran said: View Post
    I just read that they actually had the actors throwing real dynamite sticks. That's pretty weird..
  10. RPF Premium Member TazVader's Avatar
    From
    Oct 24, 2017, 12:46 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #35

I looks to me like UNIGEL is written twice with text in the middle. Probably the high explosives text.

I like what you done so far mate.
    Least it won't be hard to find black waxed cord for the fuse and electrical tape lol
    Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oct 24, 2017, 10:53 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #36

What about actual fuse for the fuse? I have a spool of the stuff at home.
  12. RPF Premium Member TazVader's Avatar
    From
    Oct 24, 2017, 7:00 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #37

Lol real fuse? For your cannon? Lol well it looks like the fuse in the film is black to me. Sounds like a great offer. I think I'll settle for black waxed cord or something to be on the safe side lol

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Oct 25, 2017, 12:14 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #38

I'm not sure why I bought it, I suppose you could use it on a cannon. I've had the stuff for over twenty years now.
    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oct 25, 2017, 3:40 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #39

Okay, I think I'm done:

Name:	dyna test 2.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	768892

I could tweak it a bit more if necessary, but I'm about out of time to work on this and I'm satisfied with this version.
    I think it looks pretty close. Without better reference from the film, there's really not much more I can do.

Here's the printable wrap; note that it's exactly 11x8.5 inches , so be sure your printer doesn't try to scale it down to fit a smaller printable area. Keep it at 100% scale:

Name:	dyna 02.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	768893

Enjoy!
  15. RPF Premium Member nick daring's Avatar
    From
    Austin TX
    Oct 25, 2017, 4:36 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #40

This is soooo great. Wonderfully obscure.
  16. RPF Premium Member TazVader's Avatar
    From
    Oct 25, 2017, 5:42 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #41

Amazing Dan! Stellar effort and let me say a big "Thanks" to you and everyone else that added time and research to this fun thread.
    Now...what thing...thing is next? Lol

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Oct 26, 2017, 11:26 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #42

How about the microphone that goes with the tape recorder/player? I've got the tape player, need the mic.
  18. RPF Premium Member TazVader's Avatar
    From
    Oct 27, 2017, 11:45 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #43

Lol. 3D print maybe? What's it look like?

I was thinking accurate Petri dish and labels with appropriate wire,spool and scalpel with of course fake blood for a nice little display

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

From
    Louisville, KY
    Oct 28, 2017, 12:24 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #44

Thanks guys. You've done some great research and it was a fun hunt. It's actually Hercules Inc. Just trying to get the right text in the other areas.

Regards
    Attachment 765729
    Attachment 765730

I plan to make some replicas of the sticks and Macready's bundle if there's enough interest as it's going to be used in a spiderhead display of my own.

Regards
    T
    A
    Z
    Taz, where did you find that picture of the real box? I've been looking up "Hercules, Unigel, Dynamite" and any other combinations I can think of and I haven't seen that picture anywhere but here.

I'm thinking there may be more to the text on the sticks but, I can't really find anything conclusive. The quality I have of the film doesn't yield much, just that the 2nd line of text looks longer than the 1st and 3rd.
  20. RPF Premium Member TazVader's Avatar
    From
    Oct 28, 2017, 6:19 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #45

It was a personal photo of a guy exploring a mine and unexploded dynamite. Just a weird forum. I've only ever found it on one place. Thats the only pic. So unless we can ask someone who mined in Canada or find a rep from Hercules that might know what the sticks look like we are stuck. I'll see if I can find the forum but not much there mate.

Regards
    T
    A
    Z
  21. RPF Premium Member TazVader's Avatar
    From
    Oct 28, 2017, 8:00 AM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #46

Well I quickly did a rough mock with the awesome files done by our fellow "thingist." Really fun but already learned by doing. We should keep hunting this. The box and accurate stick text.

Now...who wants to find accurate Petri dishes and what size are they lol

Just for fun...fuse in the other end

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Louisville, KY
    Oct 28, 2017, 1:35 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #47

Now those look pretty good. I was wondering if I was the only one thinking of doing an "accurate" fuse. Nice job!

Well I quickly did a rough mock with the awesome files done by our fellow "thingist." Really fun but already learned by doing. We should keep hunting this. The box and accurate stick text.
    There is a perfect shot of the side of the box in the film. I've only got access to a copy in 720p and I can just barely make out the logo, the Hercules text, and Unigel with a trademark symbol. Going from other boxes on the web, it must list the details and, perhaps what to expect on the sticks themselves. I just need a clearer copy, maybe 1080p.

There are a few scenes that, if they were clearer, might show the text on the sticks, and there's one where they have a bundle of dynamite next to one of the thermite grenades from the opening. I just happen to have a vintage smoke grenade that's in the same body so, I can work on some accurate measurements.
    From
    Killoughrim, ireland
    Oct 28, 2017, 1:50 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #48

Lol. 3D print maybe? What's it look like?

I was thinking accurate Petri dish and labels with appropriate wire,spool and scalpel with of course fake blood for a nice little display

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

put one of these in the Petri dish

Name:	The-Thing-Replica-Monster-Blood-Sample-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	769483
    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oct 28, 2017, 5:03 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #49

Yeah, petri dish with a blood monster jumping out of it gets my vote too.

But is that really what it looked like?

Name:	thingcap25.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	769586
  25. RPF Premium Member TazVader's Avatar
    From
    Oct 28, 2017, 6:37 PM - Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand. #50

Grenade king. That's some great snooping there. With the new transfer released we may be in for some more luck there when it comes to the dynamite

The thermite would be cool to have in a display as well.
    @Dan...yeah. Blood monsters cool. But in reality it just looked like a blood vomit not the Rolling Stones creature. I thought that was just a cool take on it. There's a Palmer head version too.

Let's post some more pics folks

Regards
    T
    A
    Z