Blade Runner - Officer K's Blaster for 3Dprinting (Yet another one, sorry!)

No need to apologise.

Just like everyone else I'm just keen to see how this turns out. I'm constantly amazed at the craftsmanship of RPFmembers.

So far iIt looks superb! Keep up the good work.

Hi!

I've been super busy at work so haven't got much time to split the elements and work on ways to attach them together.
I'll be way this weekend, but will start to work on it next week. Should have something for Friday 17th, ready for weekend printing.

Sorry for the delay!

Alright! I’ve got some black PLA in, and picked up some Smooth On XTC-3D to toy around with. Anyone used it before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used XTC 3D. Here's some suggestions - 1. A little goes a long way. Use it in small batches. 2. As suggested on the instructions in the box use a wide shallow tin foil tray once mixed to extened working time. If you don't do that it goes off very quickly in the pot. 3. Wear rubber gloves and a respirator and use in a place with good ventialtion - the fumes stink and it is a skin irritant. 4. Don't apply it too thickly - you loose fine detail and if it runs it will leave blobs on your print when it dries. 5. Don't apply it too thinly or it wont smooth anything. I usually end up applying 2 -3 coats on a piece, doing some fine grit sanding between coats. 6.It won't fill in large gaps in your prints - so sand, fill and smooth your prints as much as possible before applying. 7. Have a large supply of disposable brushes - each application will cost you a brush. I use a 2 brush technique - one brush to apply it and another smaller finer sponge tip brush to dab and absorb the XTC from any areas where it is pooling. but carefull of leaving brush strokes in the curing resin. 9. I sometimes find that as it dries clear it sometimes look like it hasn't done anything - ie you can still see the print lines underneath but if you run your hand over the top it feels smooth. Hope this helps.

Hello!

Any update on the project? I was also wondering if you considered sharing the Fusion 360 files.(Might be asking for a lot but you never know right?) I have experience with the software and could help. This is by far the most accurate model out there and would love to print one. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back