2017 SECRET SANTA THREAD - Entry now CLOSED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap you guys are hard core! :lol

A few things regarding pushing up the start date on this:

1. As it is I start early October. Many people, myself included, would be a little perturbed if I were to start a CHRISTMAS exchange in August or even September. It's just... Against the flow. :lol

2. Despite the fact that some people really go gangbusters (and I always love to see that) this is just a small $20 exchange at it's core. Currently some folks get intimidated by this exchange and I imagine giving them several months to come up with that perfect gift would both amp up the intimidation and the expectation on the other end.

Who knows, maybe I'll make an early set of matches next year for those who are really keen.

Huh... :confused.... Surely everyday should feel like Christmas day?

Hmmmmm :behave, I'll pondor on this some more and get back to you.

I'm back.............

Ok..... but you owe me, maybe some ideas for SSS (He's getting a little cranky.... personally I dont think he is quite wired right).

You've seen what I can do in 8 weeks...... imagine the truck backing up to your driveway if I have 8 months.....MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

attachment.php

:lol:lol

Alright, I'll be expecting a full size R2 decked out with all the bells and whistles then! We'll work up to the Falcon. :lol

**NOTE**

'Cause you're just crazy enough to consider it, this is a JOKE my friend. Lol

Attachments

• bsnvlipucjzxis5jgzsz.gif
    bsnvlipucjzxis5jgzsz.gif
    184.6 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
Man I really need to log on here more! Lol. I don't know if I'm too late but I would love that if you're still up for it? I wouldn't be any rush, that would just be really cool! If you're still up for it where do I send it?

I promised I'd post pictures of the absolutely insane gift I was sent by @Ash. As I was taking the pictures it was still mind boggling to me that he'd put as much effort into the gift as he did without any guarantee of getting something in return. He sent me to much cool HP swag that I've got to get a new shelf to display it all. As much as I love the Harry Potter franchise it is beyond me why I hadn't any props from the franchise. Ash solved that problem for me. I think I might get a case for all of it to be displayed in. Here check this out!

20180221_183045.jpg20180221_183501.jpg20180221_183450(1).jpg20180221_183343.jpg20180221_183152.jpg20180221_183552.jpg

Ash was cool enough to make me some of the items that he sent. Really well crafted items, and really cool things to add to the man-cave. So Not only did he hit the HP franchise, but he sent items from Star Wars as well. One of the items from the Star Wars stuff was really cool and especially creative, and something he obviously poured some time into. Here check out the Star Wars stuff!

20180221_183935.jpg20180221_183713.jpg20180221_183738.jpg20180221_183821.jpg20180221_183806.jpg20180221_183647.jpg

Ash put a lot of work into a handful of the items and that is always really appreciated. With all of that I'm really looking forward to getting in on the 2018 SS! In the mean-time I am working on a little compensation for Ash. The airbrushing will take me a while, but he deserves something...

Thanks again Ash! You definitely made the wait worth it.

*The photo upload went kind of weird, so hopefully all of the photos made it. If not, let me know and I'll re upload*

Hey not a problem Josh I'm glad you enjoy everything as much as I did coming up with what to give/make for you. By the way... the "Conjure Cocoa" has an actual "Instant Hot Beverage" inside in case you didn't look inside and in between the Quidditch World Cup brochure and the Fantastic Beasts Wanted Poster is the "Bigelow's Air Show flyer" from The Rocketeer. You mentioned in your original sign-up post you liked The Rocketeer so I thought I'd toss that in as I had it lying around.

Wow great swag.... I tip my hat to you Ash .......AHHHHHHHHH Now see what you've gone and done....you've ignited the fires for the 2018 Secret Santa. Oh well only another 8 mon...8 MONTHS.......EIGHT BLOODY MONTHS ....... i mean, 8 months till we get going again.

:cry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey not a problem Josh I'm glad you enjoy everything as much as I did coming up with what to give/make for you. By the way... the "Conjure Cocoa" has an actual "Instant Hot Beverage" inside in case you didn't look inside and in between the Quidditch World Cup brochure and the Fantastic Beasts Wanted Poster is the "Bigelow's Air Show flyer" from The Rocketeer. You mentioned in your original sign-up post you liked The Rocketeer so I thought I'd toss that in as I had it lying around.

I didn't even catch the Bigelow's Air Show reference. That's awesome, and thanks for letting me know. I would have looked like an idiot displaying that with the HP stuff (none of my friends would have known because they don't care about my props at all). I saw it and couldn't pick out where it belonged. I thought it might have been a Fantastic Beasts prop, since it's been a while since I had seen Fantastic Beasts I thought it was just a background reference that I didn't notice before. It's a good thing you set me straight.

It's really no big deal. I mean, I believe that's what this community is all about. I joined the RPF 15 years ago, back in 2003. I couldn't tell you now what brought me here, but to imagine holding something in my hands that I had seen in a movie or on television, or better yet getting the assistance I needed from other members to actually make something myself I had seen was probably the reason and it keeps me coming back again and again.

The talent and generosity here consistently blows my mind. Sure there are some members of the forum that complain that the RPF isn't what it use to be. That there's people that just take advantage of others and sure there are those who join, find posts like the "Free Paper Props", print out a bunch of someone else's hard work and than try to make a profit online and they're horrible people who will never experience the RPF like I do.

I'm thankful I'm part of an online community where I can count myself among some of the most creative and inspiring artists one could hope to meet. So there's that.

Hey Everyone... Just a little revival of this thread for a brief moment.

So everyone has heard of Christmas in July but I got the opportunity to experience Christmas in August today.

JoshVanRad mentioned he wanted to send me something to compensate me for volunteering to step up and send him something after his original Secret Santa ended up on the naughty list this year, I told him it wasn't necessary but he insisted so I told him fine and also let him know there was no rush or anything and he could just send it along when ever he finished it up.

Well low and behold I was messaged by Josh a few days ago and was told to look out for a package that should be arriving by Thursday and today there it was on my porch.
(Josh had, at this point, already informed me of what he was sending but for the sake of "Christmas" and "Secret Santa" gift opening, I will be pretending he didn't)

The box that arrived was fairly large and I was anxious to see what it contained
Box.JPG

Everything seemed tightly packaged and secure but the box had some weight to it so I was excited to see what was wrapped up inside
Inside.JPG

When I originally spoke to Josh about my interests I mentioned I was about to jump down the rabbit-hole known as a ROTJ Boba Fett build and boom... first gift was a ROTJ Boba Fett cape. It's beautifully distressed and has some heft to it.
Cape.JPG

Upon opening another smaller wrapped item I discovered a cool set of brown, black and blonde Wookie Braids
Wookie Braids.JPG

The next small wrapped package contained four small containers of paint in the Boba Fett color scheme
Paint.JPG

The next four packages I unwrapped was when it started to get real serious... inside was a full set of ROTJ Boba Fett chest armor which had already been beautifully painted and distressed by Josh himself.
Chest.JPG

But there was still MORE... surly this would have been more than enough to make up for his Secret Santa gift. The cape and Wookie braids were cool enough. Josh also included a Man of War Studios Boba Fett Vest for the chest armor to attach to
Man of War Flack Vest.JPG

And the last thing in the box, which you could tell right away what it was but I thought I'd save it for last because it really was over the top and completely unnecessary on Josh's part and I can't begin to thank him enough. Josh actually sent me a complete Airbrush set complete with nozzle, hose, and compressor. Seriously... Josh sent me an airbrush compressor and kit so I can really get going properly on my ROTJ Boba Fett build
Airbrush and Compressor.JPG

He also informed me he would be more than willing to help me with any questions I may have along the way with my build and also told me once I finally step over the edge of the rabbit-hole and begin my build he'd send me a step by step "paint by numbers" instructions for the rest of my gear and armor so that I can have a Boba Fett that looks almost as good as his own. And if you haven't seen it yet.... Josh's Boba Fett is pretty awesome. Granted I'm just entering the world of Mandalorian Builds and I'm not the final say on "screen accuracy" or anything but I'd be SUPER proud if my Boba looks half as good as his turned out!

So, with that allow me to say, thank you to joshvanrad for your generosity and amazing gift. I'm truly grateful and overwhelmed. This truly is what the Christmas Season is all about but more importantly, what I believe still to this day, what the core of the RPF is all about.

Cheers to you and yours!

-Ash

Box.JPG

Inside.JPG

Cape.JPG

Wookie Braids.JPG

Paint.JPG

Chest.JPG

Man of War Flack Vest.JPG

Airbrush and Compressor.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

So everyone has heard of Christmas in July but I got the opportunity to experience Christmas in August today.... [snip]

[/snip]Cheers to you and yours!

-Ash
...and that is what this community, we call the RPF, is all about. :thumbsup

A very nice thank you indeed. Just in time to get us excited for this years exchange. I just hope that Michael is up for it again this year..... I know it takes its toll.

So everyone has heard of Christmas in July but I got the opportunity to experience Christmas in August today.

JoshVanRad mentioned he wanted to send me something to compensate me for volunteering to step up and send him something after his original Secret Santa ended up on the naughty list this year, I told him it wasn't necessary but he insisted so I told him fine and also let him know there was no rush or anything and he could just send it along when ever he finished it up.

Well low and behold I was messaged by Josh a few days ago and was told to look out for a package that should be arriving by Thursday and today there it was on my porch.
(Josh had, at this point, already informed me of what he was sending but for the sake of "Christmas" and "Secret Santa" gift opening, I will be pretending he didn't)

The box that arrived was fairly large and I was anxious to see what it contained
View attachment 840141

Everything seemed tightly packaged and secure but the box had some weight to it so I was excited to see what was wrapped up inside
View attachment 840142

When I originally spoke to Josh about my interests I mentioned I was about to jump down the rabbit-hole known as a ROTJ Boba Fett build and boom... first gift was a ROTJ Boba Fett cape. It's beautifully distressed and has some heft to it.
View attachment 840143

Upon opening another smaller wrapped item I discovered a cool set of brown, black and blonde Wookie Braids
View attachment 840144

The next small wrapped package contained four small containers of paint in the Boba Fett color scheme
View attachment 840145

The next four packages I unwrapped was when it started to get real serious... inside was a full set of ROTJ Boba Fett chest armor which had already been beautifully painted and distressed by Josh himself.
View attachment 840146

But there was still MORE... surly this would have been more than enough to make up for his Secret Santa gift. The cape and Wookie braids were cool enough. Josh also included a Man of War Studios Boba Fett Vest for the chest armor to attach to
View attachment 840147

And the last thing in the box, which you could tell right away what it was but I thought I'd save it for last because it really was over the top and completely unnecessary on Josh's part and I can't begin to thank him enough. Josh actually sent me a complete Airbrush set complete with nozzle, hose, and compressor. Seriously... Josh sent me an airbrush compressor and kit so I can really get going properly on my ROTJ Boba Fett build
View attachment 840148

He also informed me he would be more than willing to help me with any questions I may have along the way with my build and also told me once I finally step over the edge of the rabbit-hole and begin my build he'd send me a step by step "paint by numbers" instructions for the rest of my gear and armor so that I can have a Boba Fett that looks almost as good as his own. And if you haven't seen it yet.... Josh's Boba Fett is pretty awesome. Granted I'm just entering the world of Mandalorian Builds and I'm not the final say on "screen accuracy" or anything but I'd be SUPER proud if my Boba looks half as good as his turned out!

So, with that allow me to say, thank you to @joshvanrad for your generosity and amazing gift. I'm truly grateful and overwhelmed. This truly is what the Christmas Season is all about but more importantly, what I believe still to this day, what the core of the RPF is all about.

Cheers to you and yours!

-Ash

And probably a beer at SWC 2019.

Also, I want to say thank you for the big shoutout. It took me a lot longer than I'd anticipated with the chest set. As for much of the other stuff, I know a lot of Fett builders can attest to this, but I have a lot of extra Fett gear laying around my shop, so a few of those pieces are sort of "hand-me-downs" from my Fett getup evolving over the years.

That chest set is pretty special to me though. That is a set of armor I had from our very own Imperial Outpost Armory. If you're not familiar, Will passed away not too long ago, and before that he was THE go to guy for Fett armor.

I really hope you enjoy! Thanks again for filling in and getting me the awesome gear you got me.

-Josh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back