40K Ork Warboss,,,,

McCarthy83

Hello lads and ladies of the realm..... I thought it was about time i got on with and finally got a thread going on here.... So having seem some mad cosplays on here and trying to find a good place to start.... Warcraft, League of Legends, Destiny etc etc a friend showed me a link through to SKS and said to me " You where thinking of getting back into miniature painting why not start there"?... Being so inspired by the SKS Warcraft build and having not done anything on this scale before it seemed like a good place to start.... which then took to looking for products, foam and everything else that could be needed to start such a build...

I've been doing this for a little while now so if the is a lack continuity with some bits that will be why but i will run through each bit as i made them... its only in the last week i have started painting what I've done as i need to buy more foam because.... well because i ran out! Beefy and a bit battered looking was the goal as I can't imagine an Ork being too bothered about a few battle scars.....

Where better to start than the big old Ork hand.... Now being a War boss i have decided that one hand shall hold a large Shoot'a and the other shall be a hefty mechanical claw... The claw i have decided to leave until almost the end as I have been trying to scale it but can't seem to get it quite right so once i have a better visual reference i will do that... I had considered making the fingers movable but lets walk before we can run :) .....

So on with the hand.....

Eva foam skeleton to start with... It wasn't until this was done that i realised this will start to get large quite quickly! So layered up some 10mm foam to make some EVA sausages then cut out some recesses to make the fingers movable to get them in to firing position.... which resulted in one of these....

This was then covered in a 2 or 3 mm foam to give it a kind of skin for the vinyl material to stick too....

Then came the big bulk out.... i wanted to try and make this look like armour that had been improvised and a bit angry looking.... so i again to layer up some 10mm foam and set too it with a knife and heat gun.... That lead to this as an idea....

Now even at this stage i was thinking about the colour scheme.... When i used to game with a 40K Ork army I always when with the Bad Moonz... so yellow and black with the moon crest.... this was a good opportunity to get in on some Bad Moonz logo action.....

With the damage added and logo on.....

So this is a bit further along now but i will get to that.... with the single hand made i got into the boots....

The boots where great fun to make because it quickly became apparent how big these would need to be :)

So again started with the base which was a combination of 1" and 2" Ethrafoam.... a semi solid foam that could take my weight... wasn't cheap though so glad i didn't need it in spades!!!

20170210_175145_zpspuh7vmwd.jpg

The basic skeleton all glued up.....

20170211_215119_zpsmkljdsxj.jpg

I jumped a little here without taking any pics... so here we have the toe caps pinned in place and like the hand it was skinned in the 3mm foam to give it some substance...

20170212_180736_zpsrsyrbdxw.jpg

I had started to play with shin armour ideas which lead me to think about the how it would be held on... straps and buckles.... 3mm foam and the buckles cut form 10mm foam, thoroughly attacked with the stanely and heat gun.....

20170207_011041_zpsx0gypkgh.jpg

which lead to this as an idea....

20170215_235250_zpsuduwnhsy.jpg

The plate on the top of the foot was cut from left over 1" thick Ethrafoam as where the spikes....

20170302_220830_zpsy4315bm8.jpg

I got onto thinking about the knees and thought this could be a good way to add to the chunky look again..... so i heated up some eva and pressed it into a bowl until i cooled and added some more Ork style details out of the 3mm which went like this....

20170302_222626_zps3rtgg5xd.jpg

20170308_011307_zpsqszuzl8h.jpg

It was then time to skin the skeleton with the vinyl which wasn't too fun too work with...

Last edited:
They looked a little weird after the vinyl went on.... i threw in some thick stitches with a thread that i bought on Ebay.... Most of which would be covered up but it adds a wee bit more detail.... then added the armour straps and fixed the armour in place....

I was pretty happy with how these turned out to be honest....

Here is a quick one after the sealer coat next to my own foot....which really doesn't do their size justice.... still funny though...

Oh and i skinned the hand at this point too....

legs and belt where the next thinsg to think about.... The miniatures of the 40k Ork Warboss' always seem to have large plates that covered their bellies.... I was really stuck here for a while but decided that again like the older Bad Moonz miniatures they always had their crest on the this belt... time to use some waste materials and instead of just making a big round plate with a moon on it i decided it could look pretty cool to make a big buzz saw blade.... So i cut a large circle out and used the edges of the eva that usually goes in the bin to make the teeth....on top of this i did another circle with the 3mm foam and then layered up some 10mm eva and set to it with a dremmel....

cut to take the teeth....

And yep you guessed it..... with the teeth :)

The crest would be the same as the one on the wrist armour just a bit bigger and more battered....

after attacking it....

Can I just say that stitching this belt was a.... well this is a public forum so i won't say but get the idea!!!! worth it though...

now like i said the legs where also a consideration at this stage.... I don't have small legs build wise.... in fact i would say i have distinctly average legs... so very un Ork like.... i got some thick furniture foam for this but was constantly unhappy with the results.... a few years a go I bought a muscle suit for a batman cosplay that i had no time to do very well and it twigged.... I could use the lower half of that that muscle suit and make some rag tag trousers so cover them out of a heavy cotton... This was a very recent revelation so I've not ordered that yet!!!

What i have started doing that I said at the top of the thread was that i have indeed become impatient and set about painting the boots, hand and belt so far.... so that's the next post i guess.....

.... so paint... always take ten times longer than you think right!!! before I got into thinking about the best way to tackle the yellow first things fist the metal armour base.... using the black sealer coats proved very useful for this as it enabled me to build up the colour slowly of several layers picking out lighter and lighter shades.... I did this using three stages of different silvers applying two to three layers each..... Dark gunmetal, a bright silver and a middle stage of the two mixed together.... I thought I had some pics of the layering stages but i can't seem to find them so unfortunately i will have to jump straight to end result.... All the layers where dry brushed on getting heavier as i went back in to pic out the highlights with the lightest colour.... boots, hand and belt where all done together...

the boots in the shed.....

20170929_173026_zpscgmsebes.jpg

The boots back in my room, a little representative of the colour they are....

20170930_121133_zpscyqonvu8.jpg

Then the belt and hand where done in the same way.....

20171008_171053_zpssd863nio.jpg

Then a tea brake....

20171008_170151_zpsblfkroct.jpg

With all the damage i couldn't just have gleaming yellow armour on there so i needed a way to make all the bits look a touch battered.... this was done using a liquid masking fluid simply painted on before the colour was added.... this can then be peeled off to chip the paint.... word from the now wise, if you do use this stuff, and it is great, don't paint your colour on and the go to the pub and try to get it off the next day.... it takes a bout three times as long to get off.... still lesson learned!!!

so this is what it looks likes when i goes one.... i was a bit savage in application but it ended up how i wanted it to...

Now with the colour.... Yellow has never been a favourite colour of mine to shade.... I know then why do a Bad Moonz colour scheme!!!.... anyway the bright yellow base went on first... I then added orange to the yellow in two stages with an airbrush to pic out the darker areas..., after that a very thinned down black right in the corners where the yellow would meet the edges of the amour and around the spikes....

Then an unmasking marathon to get all the chipping effect done.... one down....

Both done.... There were a few bits after that i had to back in with black and silver...

Just before I did the yellow i took to doing the brown leather style paint on the vinyl.... again done in stages then back in with the airbrush to pic out the highlights.... this was also done to the belt and hand.... though the hand isn't quite finished yet....

so here is the brown after the first couple of layers....

20171008_202322_zpsvfj1pkkh.jpg

20171004_150252_zpszdas2jhp.jpg

Then after a while building up the highlights.... i was pretty happy with this...

20171004_163622_zpsd3e9syur.jpg

20171004_163640_zpswrx0xzvz.jpg

So to cut out several pics of the same thing here are all the bits as they currently stand...

boots....

20171006_174814_zpsgefq0ndt.jpg

Hand...

20171009_182124_zpsoahtbvfr.jpg

Belt....

20171009_182149_zpsase3wof7.jpg

all of these need weathering and rusting etc but i will do that right at the end once the whole suite is done.... awful lot to do still and no time to get into it.... legs next and detailing the belt with few trinkets....

This is great! Looking forward to seeing that 40k drooped ork face. You should make some grots to sit on your shoulders!

Crikey! What an astounding and inspirational build! Love the tutorial aspect of the photos and text - really easy to follow. The details of the thread intrigued me - haven't seen that before and they add a very subtle hand-made look to the finished pieces. Brilliant!

Really like the look of this. Looking forward to seeing the weapons very much.

How are you planning to do the head/ face?

Great looking start already.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Crikey! What an astounding and inspirational build! Love the tutorial aspect of the photos and text - really easy to follow. The details of the thread intrigued me - haven't seen that before and they add a very subtle hand-made look to the finished pieces. Brilliant!

Ha ha thanks, I've noticed with a few threads that people seem to like how things are done as a project goes along.... If something i do can help someone else then that makes it worth it...

Really like the look of this. Looking forward to seeing the weapons very much.

How are you planning to do the head/ face?

Great looking start already.

Thanks, the head and face will be made off a basic foam base and built up/sculpted.... That will be a while off as i need to do the bulky muscle suit first to get an idea on how big the head will have to be....

This is so freaking cool. Awesome foam skills.

Again thanks, you're projects are pretty awesome too... looking forward to seeing those come along :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back