Star Wars Hotrod Speeder 3D Printed Scratchbuild

darthviper107

Sr Member
Finally finished, after 5 years of work (on and off)
Most of the work was done over the last year and a half. I had messed with some other 3D printers to find one that would do the best job, ended up with the Form2 which helped a lot due to the quality and the larger build area. Spent the last month and a half working every day to get it finished, some things took longer than expected, for example it took several hours to do the masking for the green
Also had some trouble with paint--originally used Vallejo model air paints, but my yellow and green had issues drying, they ended up tacky and rubbery. I switched to Tamiya and it worked much better.
The lighting is done with an Arduino setup inside with a bluetooth module. Since I do 3D work on the computer I also made a mobile app with Unity to connect to it wirelessly to control the lighting and also installed a small OLED display in the center console to make an animated screen.
After finishing it came up to 202 pieces 1/10th scale, 18.5" long

zachary-brackin-spdr-03.jpgzachary-brackin-spdr-04.jpgzachary-brackin-spdr-06.jpgzachary-brackin-spdr-02.jpgzachary-brackin-spdr-01.jpg

More photos at my artstation page along with photos of the build process:
https://www.artstation.com/qymaen

wow, that looks amazing! really enjoyed looking at the build progress ... the form 2 looks like a great printer

Really great work! I've always called this the "Milner Speeder" after John Milner's coupe in American Graffiti. You did it justice!

Thanks guys!

I'm not sure why I like the speeder, but I was always into it since I first saw it in the movie, originally tried to make it when I first got into 3D modeling around that same time but of course I wasn't very good. I had a 3D model I made but couldn't find any old renderings of it. I know I had some stuff saved on a Geocities account but not sure if that got archived.

I just went and looked at the build photos and I'm blown away by your level of research and execution. I would LOVE to do this kind of 3D modeling and printing, but fear the learning curve and equipment costs are just too high. You basically made a kit any modeling company, even Bandai, would be proud to offer to the public. I don't know what you do as your regular moneymaking gig, but doing this should be your one and only career. Anything less is a waste of skill and talent.

Thanks, I appreciate that.
I'd like to do stuff like this more often, but it takes a long time and a lot of work, the big push to get this finished was 1 1/2 months working like 6 hours a day. Injection molded kits are a bit different, Bandai is very good at their designs. Something like this takes a lot of time to smooth the parts and get them to fit which isn't something you really have to worry about with injection molding. I have another project I'd like to do but that would be a long ways off, I'm switching to doing a 3D modeling project which will be a nice change of pace.

This is really amazing modelling work. both the 3d renders, beautiful prints, tight construction and flawless paint.
also its big..love it.
anyone who hasnt clicked through to his site to see more pics is missing out.

do the hasbro black series figures fit in it well?
any pics of the bottom?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back