5 Foot Falcon Replica - ANH

This is truly fascinating. To see the step by step process to bring this from raw shapes into a fully realized model is invaluable and inspiring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks again guys!! Here's the latest. Started off masking the underside and starting to shoot some of the panels. The contrast looks high right now, but they will blend together as I add the multiple filters and thinned layers. If they started off too light, then they'd blend in, easier this way to soften them up. I started trying out the initial filter/weathering on the left half of the underside engine deck plate. That's only about half the filters, still needs the thinned gray and dirtiness added, but you can see how just the light filter knocks down the contrast compared to the other side.
Then, to make the painting easier, got help from a buddy and we setup the model on an engine stand (Lee Malone did this on his gorgeous 5 footer, and it makes things so easier. I can rotate it 180 degrees to make access easier from a number of angles.
Lastly, a couple shots standing next to it to get a sense of size and scale of this monster! So friggin' big!
Thanks for looking!
Sean

Masking the lower hull for the light gray panels (red panels already painted down)

IMG_2397 (2).JPGIMG_2399 (2).JPG

Starting the gray

IMG_2403 (2).JPG

Model on engine stand for easier access/rotation.

IMG_2411 (2).JPGIMG_2410 (2).JPG

Initial weathering on the engine plate (notice the darker panels on the far right without the first 'filter'.

IMG_2476 (2).JPG IMG_2475 (2).JPG
IMG_2474 (2).JPGIMG_2468 (2).JPG

Here's the top and bottom for scale

IMG_2487 (2).JPGIMG_2463 (2).JPG

And the beginning of the base coat on the front half of the top is where we are at.

IMG_2499 (2).JPGIMG_2497 (2).JPG

Looking really good. Where do you paint it at?
I have to take whatever I'm working on outside. Just primed a 2 foot model after dusting it all off. Still had little pieces of dust here and there.

What a fantastic build! Your Falcon is really looking good! Amazing build and you're making quick work of it.
No wonder I'm having trouble finding models, they're all on your shelves. :)

LOL! Thanks guys!
ixtore, I don't know how exactly much it weighs yet - but it feels quite heavy, maybe around 80lbs?

Here's a quick update.
1st few show the Hummel Part that goes on the engine upper and lower 'decks'. I originally took the two Hummel parts, glued them together and cast them. As I was getting ready to paint them, I realized the original had a pretty good little gap between them. So, I was able to break the original parts back to their two halves. I then molded and cast them up, put a .020 piece of styrene between them, and assembled each individually. Then, to match the original, they required a good chunk of the bottom be chopped off, to get the proper size/height to fit into the 88mm parts. It was a fun exercise getting those levels of details closer to the original.
2nd set show the additional kit parts that are being added to the front port body wall. This adds back in several parts that were on the original during filming of ANH. (Still need to add Hasegawa Sherman part). Then a quick shot of primer, then the last pics show the parts applied to the port wall. Once the weathering gets painted in here, it's gonna start looking really close.
Thanks,
Sean

Hummel1.jpgHummel2.jpg
Hummel3.jpg
PortWall1.jpgPortWall2.jpg
PortWall3.jpgPortWall4.jpg
PortWall5.jpg

This is breathtaking!!

It’s one thing to build from a kit...it’s another thing to painstakingly scratch build a model of this scale, and amazing detail. I can’t begin to tell you how impressive this model is.

Sean,.... damn son just....damn! You're nailing this! Do the ANH SD next! Bring it home! Here if you need some help, you probably don't. But if you do just ask!

Sean,.... damn son just....damn! You're nailing this! Do the ANH SD next! Bring it home! Here if you need some help, you probably don't. But if you do just ask!

Yeah, I'm loving watching this progress. Hope to get to see it in person again when it's done.

And... as far as Star Destroyers go - go for all 8 feet of the ESB version! I'd buy that for a dollar... :)

Dan

2nd set show the additional kit parts that are being added to the front port body wall. This adds back in several parts that were on the original during filming of ANH. (Still need to add Hasegawa Sherman part).

Super cool! Looks great seeing stuff like the McLaren triangular part that's now missing from the Falcon. I'm curious about the dome-shaped piece that covers where the holes for the carrying struts go, though.

- nkg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back