5 Foot Falcon Replica - ANH

Crikes - amazing venture you have set yourself here - looking forward to watching you produce what looks to be an ILM masterpiece. I see you have Lorne's book in the background - my copy turned up last week - its brilliant and definitely a must have for this type of build - if only to add some moral support along the long journey you have ahead of yourself here.

You are going to have a lot of kit bashing to do - wishing you all the best on your model

John

Amazing. I love, love, love :)
When you complete how many will exist. Or how many exist already is what I'm asking?

I only know of the original and one other... is that right?

Thanks for the nice comments!! Yeah, it's a helluva a lot of work bringing this all together, but ridiculously fun (and consuming)!

Here's a couple quick shots of the top gun platform coming together. Will put the rocket launcher parts on next.

IMG_7890.JPGIMG_7892.JPG

Thanks!! Appreciate the comments!
Got the domes bonded to the 'patty' now. I made the rough cutouts for the 'pits' and the antenna dish, then flipped it over and cut out the two larger 'pit' openings for the underside. I'll leave it upside down from this point and build up the entire bottom first, apply the dome edges, then the side details, then flip it back over and finish up the top.
Finished up the Docking Arm Port for the top also (except filler putty needed in front of the Sherman), so both top docking arms are near ready to go. Once bonded to the domes, then I'll do the plating/greeblies to the sides of them.
I also cleaned up the two lower docking arms. They'll get plating/top parts added next, then bonded to the lower dome. So here's a few progress shots:

Hard to see, but the top access pits all cut out.
db2.jpgdb1.jpg
Placing one of the built up pits just to see it in there. These will all be placed up on stands to fit properly in the pit openings.
db3.jpg

The Top Port Docking arm mostly done

db4.jpg

Both Top Docking arms with parts on
db6.jpg

Dry fitting the lower docking arms. (looking at the front)

db5.jpg

So cool to see the domes bonded Sean, such a milestone to get the hull sealed up!. I'm not too far away from doing the same, albeit a slightly different method.
Again...you work so darn fast my friend, but your work is always flawless & clean!.
Going to be amazing seeing all the pits in place.

Stu

Thanks again Fellas!!! Yeah Stu, your build and progress is equally impressive!!
Here's a few updates, finished the port walkway, and started mocking up the lower engine deck. After thats done, it and the walkways will get bonded down, then the recess pits going in. (PS - on the pic with the mandible, that is the SB mandible right side up, even though the hull is upside down - just there for a quick test fit)

Engine Deck started

ww2.jpg
Engine Deck walls mocked up
ww1.jpg
ww3.jpg
ww4.jpg
ww6.jpg
Both underside walkway tops done
ww7.jpg
ww8.jpg

You guys will have to explain me how you can be accurate to cut a part yo fit a curved surface,,,,, Perpendicular to it or not....

I meant for long panel build like:
attachment.php

The sides are perfectly cut round to fit the main body clear part. I'm pretty sure that was not rubed on sand paper applied on the Plexiglas.
Same thing for the cockpit corridor tube connecting to the curved shaped body....
You lay a sheet of sandpaper on that surface and rub the part until it fits.

Treadwell is right maxhebus! The rough contour is figured out, laser cut out of acrylic (for the walkways at least), then I use a combination of a belt sander and dremel to get the contour closer, then fine tune with varying grits of sandpaper. It's very much raw fabricating in order to get a flush fit. Particularly with making the bevel, all hand ground and sanded. Same goes with the cockpit tube, but with that fella, I cut a paper template, draw an outline on the tube, rough cut with a dremel, then fine tune again with dremel drum and then sandpaper. This is truly 'old school' hand labor, but the results are quite nice.

Joberg and other folks, thank you again for the kind comments!!

I'm off for a business trip this week, but will get some updates next weekend. I plan to have the engine deck bonded together then.
Thanks,
Sean

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back