5 Foot Falcon Replica - ANH

Puuuuh- I was just about drying out for waiting so long! Those new pics are very much welcome! Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated.

LOL - Funny Fellas!!

Quick update here - more later tonight... Got the last part for the lower Jawbox - to be a perfect match to the rear landing gear doors, Steve Neisen printed this plate up for me, like he did for the others last year! It is a PERFECT fit, as well as look and feel. First shot is just laying it down, second is the part bonded down and primered. That jawbox is now pretty much done.
jb1.jpg
jb2.jpg

Next up, got the majority of the "Damage" area on the Starboard hull done. Still need to chop into the jawbox and do some more minor chipping and such. You'll see the crazy mess that was made my grinding away the acrylic hull, then a thin (.005) styrene sheet, heated it up and formed it to the divets. Then the .040 Styrene plating, chopped out to match the original as close as possible. So much fun doing these kinds of detail areas!

Sdamage1.jpg
Sdamage2.jpg
Sdamage3.jpg
Sdamage4.jpg
Sdamage5.jpg
Sdamage6.jpg
Sdamage7.jpg

More pics of the progress of the cockpit tube plating wrapping up next!
Thanks
Sean

Looks great!

I’ve always been intrigued by how the correct curvature in the plating is made. Do you have a compass-like device you use?

Thanks Scott!! Yeah, ALL the white styrene plating you see on the entire model is HAND cut by me, no computer prints/drawings that I'm tracing from. I do indeed do use a 'compass' approach. For the inner diameters, I use an 18" metal ruler with slide on/adjustable ends, one pointy, one with a pencil or Xacto blade on it. I typically draw the arc, or scribe it, then go back and hand cut it. Then lightly sand the ends, use the 'chompers' to cut out the nibbles, and glue the plating down. I always liked the hand fabricated approach to the original, so that's what I'm going for. The drawback is, by not using CAD overlays, sometimes my plating alignments are not 'perfect' to the original, but things come together more than close enough for me to keep pressing ahead. If I do screw up a plate, the beauty with gluing styrene to primer instead of the acrylic directly, is the plating easily pops back off with little to no residue, I can cut a new plate, and then re-bond the new one.
-Sean

You know there are no words for sick, BAD ASS accomplishment Sean...I hope your getting some work out of Ryan!!!
HAHA !! THANKS Jamie!! Ryan's a bit of a slacker these days!! :p

JediMichael - Shhhhh, that's supposed to be a Secret! Ha!

Ok, so here's getting to where I'm at about now. Finished up 'most' of the Cockpit plating. There are still a number of 'greeblies' that need to go down on the cockpit walkway area. Then I need to start laying down the tons of 'chips' all over the rest of the plating. Once the rest of that all gets done, I'll probably work on putting down the original KoolShade strip over the 9 vent holes (that's gonna be fun...Not). Then, I'll be restarting on finishing up the Top Gun Turret (the primed one is for the bottom), and one of the final decisions is to move forward with the full Studio Set interior. Thanks to Maruska, I pretty much have all the parts/details for that, but it will also slow down completion. I always planned to have the original miniature cockpit interior to swap out with the set. I'll be forced to decide soon. :eek

So, on to the latest progress...

Finishing up the Plating between the cockpit and the jawbox.

Tube1.JPG

Plating all down in this area

Tube2.JPG

Starting the plating of the Cockpit Tunnel
Tube3.JPG

Getting plating on the front side of Cockpit tunnel (using greeblie parts as I go along to help 'measure'.
Tube4.JPG

Most of the Cockpit tunnel plating all down, with about 75% of the greeblies.
Tube5.JPG
Tube6.JPG

Mocking up cockpit cone and to see how it's all looking.
Tube7.JPG

One of the First views of it in a nearly completed state of construction - with the top Gun Turret plate (Still needs to be trimmed to contour)
Tube8.jpg
Tube9.JPG

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement - getting closer to full on primer, then on to painting - ohhh that's gonna be a lot of work!
-Sean

Killing this thing. So how much have you spent so far? And yes, we know, too much. I'm working on a MUCH smaller sized ship right now and its cost me (estimated) around 3 or 4 hundred so far....

This is such an inspiring build and has aided me in converting/super detailing many details of my Deagostini Falcon model. I have discovered so many details about the 5 footer from your build that I have never noticed before. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome build.

Damn Sean!! This is actually my first post on RPF, and I just have to say that I am totally blown away by this! I have always been a huge fan of your work, and this is yet one more shining example of your incredible talent! WOW!!!

Brad

Last edited:
Hey THANKS again Guys!!! Much appreciated!! Brad!!! Great to see you hear, Welcome!!! Can't wait to see some of your impressive work popping up!!

So, brief update. Finished up most of the little greeblies on the cockpit 'walkway' areas. I think I only had to sub 1 or 2 parts of all those suckers! Pretty happy overall with it.

I also got the Classic KoolShade installed over the vent holes. Made my first real 'error' here though, don't mind sharing as it shows things don't always work out. What I did was forgot to compensate for the distance of the cockpit tube that includes the beveled 'connection' between the tube and the cone. That put me too far forward with the vent holes, then when I put the KoolShade over with it's inherent offset from being centered on the holes, I wound up putting the whole section 'too close' to the cockpit cone. I considered for about half a second to rip it out and re build it, but I decided to live with the flaw. Sometimes, for me at least, it's OK not to get as 'perfect' as you were hoping for, so you can just keep moving forward and get a project done. Considering how much of this ship is nuts on accurate, this oversight will just be part of this ship. One other note - I used my "Panther G" strips that should be on the KoolShade for another project, so I wound up using "JagD Panther". Not a perfect match again to the original, but when it's all ya got.....

Next up will be to finish all the little styrene chips on the rest of the hull plating, a few more cockpit details, then on to plating the cone, adding the t-strips, then going for the interior work. Starting to see the construction finish line, but it's still a fair amount of work to do. HUGE KUDO's to Lee Malone, beyond impressed on how fast he put his 5 Footer together!!

The detail parts are all down here
cp04.jpg

Was cool to put in the Ladder Chief 'emergency hatch' part down
cp03.jpg
With the KoolShade pushed forward, this detail area wound up 'stretching' a bit
cp02.jpg
Cp01.jpg

Styrene chips and greeblies going down on the hull section here
cp05.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. I haven't been on here for a while, however looks like I've dropped by at a good time for 5' foot Falcon building. Its been a joy reading through your build and seeing your Falcon coming together. Following what Lee Malone has done with his big Falcon and now what you are doing with yours, the craftsmanship is truly inspirational.

Hey Nick!! Welcome Back!! THANK YOU for the kind comments.

Here's the latest Update - MAJOR MILESTONE for me reached!! Got the whole ship in primer today!

So after putting down a number of final details on the main hull and assembly, I got the whole base primer coat down, and started finishing up the top gun turret with it's parts along the side. That should get primer this week. Next will be plating the cockpit cone, adding the t-strips to the window frames, and lastly get going on the Cockpit Interior.
Here's a bunch of pics....

Rear Top view
Primer1.jpg
Primer2.jpg

Engine Deck
Primer3.jpg
Primer4.jpg

Port Side with unfinished dish support
Primer6.jpg

And without the dish support
Primer5.jpg
Primer7.jpg
Primer8.jpg
Primer9.jpg

Primer10.jpg

And another round of pics.....

Continuing to swing around, close up of Starboard side

Primer11.jpgPrimer19.jpg
Primer18.jpg
Primer17.jpgPrimer16.jpg

A classic type angle, looking the part!

Primer15.jpg

Primer14.jpg
Primer13.jpg

Top Jawbox and damage area
Primer12.jpg

Still have to cut out the damage on the jawbox where it meets the hull
Primer20.jpg

Primer21.jpg

And the Port side (Engine Milkplex and Underside engine plate not yet installed)
Primer22.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back