The Orville Props

Zev

Anyone had an eye on making anything from the Orville yet? Their hand scanners/communicator look pretty cool all lit up.

scanner.PNG

They do have some cool props.
I think their Phasers have a clean futuristic look and would love to make a replica.
I'm also tempted to 3D render this Comm-scanner.

For some low hanging fruit for an Orville prop, there's the hot glue gun from ep. 1. I think it was was a regular hot glue gun that was repainted and decorated but still very recognizable as a hot glue gun.

Some more screencaps. They've got these really nice looking translucent PADD-like devices in a couple of sizes. Kelly has this smaller one, and Pria has a more letter/A4 size one later in the episode. The translucent screen itself looks about half an inch thick when they're moving it about.

vlcsnap-2017-10-11-00h48m14s932.png

Commscanner with a different screen, doing some scanning:

vlcsnap-2017-10-11-00h51m30s149.png

Chief Newton's Commscanner is different, instead of the hexagon it has more buttons, and interestingly the buttons light up more when pressed (something I've noticed on other ship panels). I can't tell if it's CGI enhanced or they've actually got proper practical effects to do it.

vlcsnap-2017-10-11-00h56m09s245.png

vlcsnap-2017-10-11-00h57m21s706.png

Panels such as this. It could just be really well-timed animation, CGI effect, or practical light-up touchpanels. Anyone any clue?

vlcsnap-2017-10-11-01h13m20s823.pngvlcsnap-2017-10-11-01h14m55s747.png

Last edited:
Some more screencaps. They've got these really nice looking translucent PADD-like devices in a couple of sizes. Kelly has this smaller one, and Pria has a more letter/A4 size one later in the episode. The translucent screen itself looks about half an inch thick when they're moving it about.

View attachment 765145

Commscanner with a different screen, doing some scanning:

View attachment 765146

Chief Newton's Commscanner is different, instead of the hexagon it has more buttons, and interestingly the buttons light up more when pressed (something I've noticed on other ship panels). I can't tell if it's CGI enhanced or they've actually got proper practical effects to do it.

View attachment 765147

View attachment 765148

Panels such as this. It could just be really well-timed animation, CGI effect, or practical light-up touchpanels. Anyone any clue?

View attachment 765150View attachment 765151

Some great screenshots there, thanks.

I think 10mm thick acrylic for the pop-up section would be about right.
I also think clear acrylic lightly sanded with an 800 grade wet-dry sandpaper will give us a good replication of the Commscanner top section.

I'll try and get a 3D model done in the next couple of days.

Screen capture:
The close-up looks as though the screens are active.
So they may be "blue/green screened" to show functionality?
The yellow half ring revolves counter clockwise around the center orange disc.

orville 11a.jpg

Could they actually be just embedded smart phones and tablets running a screen app in the props?

Maybe. But where would the screen portion go when pushed in?
It takes up a bit of room inside the body. You would also need a power supply battery and spring loaded mech. to push it up.
If the screens are OLED (very thin) maybe the electronics and battery could be in the lower portion of the body.
Even the pop up portion sometimes shows "screen" action as well.
That is why it may just be green/blue screen where the images are added in post production.

Added Note:
There may also be the possibility that there are more then one Comm/Scanners.
There could be several, each with there own unique functions.

One for the "pop up" function with glowing acrylic screen, another with a fully functional, back lighted touch panel
where the screen is permanently in the up position (for closeups) and others with blue/green screen panels and
a little sound effects, etc.
That way there would be plenty of room in the body if there was no spring and lever issue.

Last edited:
I'm going to start a separate thread for this Comm Scanner as I feel this thread is more of a general search for the many props featured in the series.

I've nearly finished the 3D model to possibly then offer kits.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back